Should I buy a MOTU 2408 mkII w/PCI 324 card for $100 or a New PCI card?

kizm0

I am wondering which one is a better deal. I am not 100% sure I can run this card on my PC because im Xp64 but i'm going to contact the seller and try to let him let me test it on my pc.

I don't know about 64 bit drivers. MOTU doesn't support the PCI 324 card any more so unless you can use 32 bit XP drivers you're likely out of luck. I just checked, no XP64 drivers for the 324, only for the 424.

Other than that, can't go wrong with a 2408MKII. Very flexible, you can use 3 2408's with the 324 card and 4 with a 424 card. You can also use the device standalone as a converter which works very nicely.

I had a PCI324 card and 1 2408MKI and 1 2408MKII and sold it. Not too long after I realized I should have kept it and now have a 324 card and 2 2408MKII's.

Blah, couldn't make a new thread. Thanks Fp. But here's a long post on this topic anyways.

Well, for once my PCI 324 card gave me a scare but turns out that even without official support the 324 card works in Vista and also Windows 7.

I had no issues installing the card in Vista and it installed just as it did on XP.

But, when doing the update from Vista to 7 I found my MOTU PCI324 card didn't work.

I followed the usual steps to install the card but after a few tries it was a no go.

The solution was to install the driver manually. The problem is that the installation package doesn't provide you with the .inf file so I did a search in the windows inf folder and there it was.

The name of the .inf file is MotuAW.inf and additionally, you need the MotuAW.sys file to be in the same directory. I copied both files to my desktop, just for ease of access, (you can copy anywhere as long as they're together). Then I went to the device manager, clicked on properties for the audio device, update driver, go through the prompts so that you can choose manual installation, set it to the desktop to find the .inf file, and that was pretty much it.

I haven't actually tested any audio yet but everything looks fine from what I can tell. I was able to configure the MOTU 2408 so I assume it's good to go.

Just in case anyone was still hanging on to a pci324 card and fighting the 424 upgrade. I don't know about the wave drivers but frankly the wave drivers suck, and that's fine with me since I don't use them anyways.

The easier fix to your problem was, GO MAC

you would have never gone through all that, I've been using 2408MKII & PCI 324 for a long time, even use it in my G5 now, never, ever gave me a problem.

Matter of fact I have a PCI-324 card for sale $60, I eventually went to 424, but yeah, a MAC would have never let you come to this site and type what you did, cause you would have never had a problem.

Dude, I posted that way in MAY, I've got my hands on one, but...

how much are you selling it for just out of curiosity ?

Blah, couldn't make a new thread. Thanks Fp. But here's a long post on this topic anyways.

Well, for once my PCI 324 card gave me a scare but turns out that even without official support the 324 card works in Vista and also Windows 7.

I had no issues installing the card in Vista and it installed just as it did on XP.

But, when doing the update from Vista to 7 I found my MOTU PCI324 card didn't work.

I followed the usual steps to install the card but after a few tries it was a no go.

The solution was to install the driver manually. The problem is that the installation package doesn't provide you with the .inf file so I did a search in the windows inf folder and there it was.

The name of the .inf file is MotuAW.inf and additionally, you need the MotuAW.sys file to be in the same directory. I copied both files to my desktop, just for ease of access, (you can copy anywhere as long as they're together). Then I went to the device manager, clicked on properties for the audio device, update driver, go through the prompts so that you can choose manual installation, set it to the desktop to find the .inf file, and that was pretty much it.

I haven't actually tested any audio yet but everything looks fine from what I can tell. I was able to configure the MOTU 2408 so I assume it's good to go.

Just in case anyone was still hanging on to a pci324 card and fighting the 424 upgrade. I don't know about the wave drivers but frankly the wave drivers suck, and that's fine with me since I don't use them anyways.

Well I am still hanging around with an old 324 pci card and it was shure a relief to know that it will work on win 7. Did you manage to make it work after all ?

Thanks for telling me. I tried to set my 324 yesterday in my new computer, and I get the same error message both under Win XP and Win 7.

"This device cannot start ( error code 10). Any ideas please? Cause if I get stuck with this matter I will have to go either for a pci-424 or even a brand new card of another make cause I got sick of Motu support and this is not a blame to the product at all, it is just a grate card, but I dont lnow if I can trust Motu anymore... What if I buy a 424 and I get error messages again? I suspect that it could be a mobo chipset issue, my mobo has an Intel G31 chipset. What would you think?

Bassbill I did exactly what you said in regards to installing the Motu 2408. Worked like a charm. Thanks a million. I didn't want to go back to XP after upgrading to Vista. So for those of you who want to know... the MOTU 2408MKII does work with Vista. Check out Bassbill's content on the matter. Put the drivers on the desktop its so easy. This also fixes Audio wire not found (18) problem too!

(Anyone who searches ... Motu 2408MKII drivers for Vista read above)

So does the setup MOTU 2408 mkII w/pci324 support 64bit applications then (ie Sonar 8.5's 64 bit plugins)?

Thanks for the confirmation it at least interfaces with Win 7... and sounds like you're running Win 7 on a 64 bit machine...

So does the setup MOTU 2408 mkII w/pci324 support 64bit applications then (ie Sonar 8.5's 64 bit plugins)?

Thanks for the confirmation it at least interfaces with Win 7... and sounds like you're running Win 7 on a 64 bit machine...

you dug up a nearly 2 year old thread... one where the last reply was almost a year ago.

Back