Setting up my FIRST home studio. Seeking advice!

DJ Lassy

DJ Lassy
Hey all, I've been making beats for a while now, and feel as though it's about that time to get some actual quality home equipment so I can get quality mixes and learn learn learn learn. I found this forum and it has been a great help and has TONS of great information posted by others like me that produce or want to produce better music. Anyways...here is what I'm thinking about buying and I would like to know if I am headed in the right direction as far as quality and "bang for your buck".

- A pair of KRK RP6G2's (One retails for $200, but I would get one for about $107 with my employee discount at Best Buy, so I figured after some of the great reviews I've read that this was a really good route to go). I want to be able to mix great bass lines, because that is something I have never been able to do and I've read these have a really good and accurate bass response. Any other good monitors you would recommend in addition to these that I should consider?

- Audio Interface: This is were I'm slightly torn...I really like the Presonus Firestudio Mobile from what I have read, but am also thinking about the M-Audio Profire 610 which is more money, but I would be willing to shell it out possibly. The other two I am looking at are the Echo Audiofire 4 and the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, but I haven't read much about these. I will say I'm leaning towards the presonus firestudio mobile, but if it is worth another 50-70 to get the profire 610 I'll do it, I swear. I'm also going to get a condenser mic further down the road also, so i want to make sure the interface I get is going to sound great with vocals and be able to power the mic correctly and most effectively.

I have a MIDI Keyboard also that I'll probably just keep for now because it has a MIDI I/O and it does the job fine. At this point I am comfortable with making beats, but have started to DIG hardcore into the mixing aspect as I want my beats to sound more commercial. I realize though that I need the equipment to do so instead of the basic stuff I have now which is a very nice custom built computer, a cheaper creative sound card, and headphones/logitech computer speakers. All of that stuff worked fine as I learned and entered into the "musical production world", but now it's time to step it up a notch because I have fallen in love with this lifestyle and I want it to be a part of my life forever regardless of if I make money or not. There is no better feeling IMHO than showing someone your own work(music, movies, food, artwork, etc) and then getting a positive/constructive response that makes you feel great, OR pushes you harder to get BETTER. I would LOVE any advice or recommendations you guys have and to see if I'm on the right track on what I'm thinking about getting for my first home studio. I'll be turning 20 in JUNE and will be treating myself to this purchase and can't even begin to tell you how EXCITED I am about this and getting better with my beats. I can't wait to share my music with you guys in the near future, so look out for me!

Much Love,

Lassy

in terms of price and quality condenser look at the MXL 4000 a musicianfriends exclusive or Sterling Audio ST51 Large Diaphragm FET Condenser Microphone

and you might need a preamp the Presonus TubePre is solid
also M-Audio Firewire 410 might be a inbetween the 2 audio interfaces if you can find one thats new becuz i think the 610 actually replaced it
i'm also in the process buying my first home studio setup
and i research everything with a solid price range that would offer the best quality for price and you seem to be doing the same and your research seems to be on point best of luck man peace and love

Will the preamp in the firestudio mobile be sufficient enough to power a pretty nice condenser mic? OR would it be better to buy a separate preamp like you mentioned? Does anyone have experience with the firestudio mobile that can tell me how the preamp is and how vocals sound with its built in preamp AND how this piece is in general as terms of performance compared to others in its price range?

The preamp doesn't really "power" the condenser mic. That's the job of phantom power. The preamp's job is to bring the condenser mic's low signal up to line level (to make it audible).
From what i've read, you'll get a good sound at that price range w/ the stock preamp in the audio interface. You'll start to hear a noticeable difference by purchasing a standalone preamp in the $500 price range.

I own a FireWire 410 and i built an isolation booth, and i'm getting a really good sound. Nice clean vocals. You should get good vocals out of either setup, people say good things about the firestudio.. and people say very good things about profire. I don't have experience w/ either to compare.. but from what i've read.. i'd say you can't go wrong w/ either.

In my case.. I want my vocals to sound "wow", so i'm saving for a preamp in the $500-$750 range and i'll use the converters on my FW410

Last edited:
I see. What I want to start off with is the firestudio mobile, and two RP6 G2's monitors from KRK and nothing else at first (it is pretty expensive and I don't have tons of money right now cause I'm a college student). Do you think that is a good "nice-starter-bang for buck" setup? I really want to focus on my beats right now and getting my mixes right, especially my low end. SO with that said I've heard that if you understand EQ and compression, and other mixing aspects, then having nice monitors is ESSENTIAL to properly mix and hear everything with a flat unbiased sound. Does that sound about right? I think that when I start making quality mixes then I will be ready to invest in a mic and possibly a nice standalone preamp like you said.

Last edited:
Yeah that's on point from my experience.
That's a WAY better starter setupthan when I started lol. If all you're focusing on right now is your mixing and production then the only thing you really need is the good set of monitors. KRK makes great sounding monitors for the price... i know people who've have theirs for years now w/ no real need to buy anything else... unless they want to go from semi-pro to bigtime pro.

You honestly only need the good interface for the purpose of recording vocals. Any interface will do if you just need the audio playback for now. It might be a better idea to hold off on that and buy it when you need it.. b/c if that's gonna be 6months to a year down the road.. you could probably either A) get the same thing for cheaper or B) they'll probably have something out a little bit better for the same money.

Back