Ready to buy a laptop ( Mac Or Windows) ?

Bambu

Tomorrow im going to the mall to get me a laptop, now my only dilemma is that ofcourse the main purpose of it is gonna be for surfing the web while im on the go and for music.

Im really leaning towards an Apple laptop, i seen one for $1700 that i was ready to buy in full but i wanted to check with you guys first.

I will be downloading music and running a lotta programs, and in the past ive heard that mac is not compatible with a lotta programs, is that still the case? i record a lotta singers and i use autotune, along with many other pluggins, (the people i record are friends that are too lazy to come over to my boy's studio or they just want to try it out to see how they sound ) will i be able to run them just fine with mac?

i watch runhouse all the time and i see that they all got a mac laptop so it couldnt be too bad :), although i know that they probably getting a check for using them during the show anyway:rolleyes:

But what laptop do you guys recommend ?

Last edited:
both are good, but I highly recommend apple
I've been using it for a long time and have had no issues with it
macs are now compatible with almost everything so it's not that big a deal, and if it isn't compatible you can run windows on intel macs, too and use it

Get a Mac so you also run your windows applications in the same unit. Plus the new O.S. system is much more stable, not that it wasn't to begin with.

Buy the overpriced mac... Its what all the "cool kids" are doing. But really why would you spend 1500-2000$ on a core 2 duo, 2g mem, and a 256mb graphics card when you could get a quad core, nvidia 8800gt (512mb ddr3) & 4g of mem for less than 1200??? Im sure you have heard horror stories about vista but it is actually less vulnerable than xp and it runs stable if you have the hardware! And if you run windows on your mac you can still get a virus on it... Im not saying macs suck or anything but for the money I would stay in the realm of pc. And yes there are more programs available to pc but more and more are being developed for macs. But for what you want to use it for I would recomend a pc.

Last edited:
Yeah, not a real big fan of Vista. Mac OSX is sooooo smooth and quick to tool around in and this is coming from a PC guy. I havent used PT enough on a mac to tell if its that much better than doing it on a PC tho.

dmensah1 said:
Yeah, not a real big fan of Vista. Mac OSX is sooooo smooth and quick to tool around in and this is coming from a PC guy. I havent used PT enough on a mac to tell if its that much better than doing it on a PC tho.
Real talk when running programs you dont see much a difference.... Just on the standard UI OSX is faster. Windows run lots of unnecessary operations in the background. But thats why I say if you have the right hardware you really wont think about a mac...
If you have the money for a macbook pro you should check out the alienware Area 51 m15x

Its a no brainer to me...

thanx for the replies yall

Mac it is, im hitting that apple store early tomorrow morning so let me go and get my sleep :)

Lenovo T61 P

(with all the toppings)

Windows Vista works FINE on it
Everything audio works fine on it
Graphics, 3D, audio, programming, whatever... All flawless

I bought 2 of those this year alone (1 then the other 1 because it was so good).

Take care

... moving this to the COMPUTERS section BTW

Update for those who care...

I bought the mac book pro, this thing is amazing i can run every single program that i did with windows, and the internet speed its blazing fast.

I cant stop showing it off :)

ha lol, you know you can always put windows on that too, lol

mano 1 said:
Lenovo T61 P

(with all the toppings)

Windows Vista works FINE on it
Everything audio works fine on it
Graphics, 3D, audio, programming, whatever... All flawless

I bought 2 of those this year alone (1 then the other 1 because it was so good).

Take care

... moving this to the COMPUTERS section BTW

What programs are u running? I plan on getting a pc laptop but i dont know which one,this sounds good tho.

As an avid linux user, even I will admit that Windows Laptops are not all that bad, I can certainly use more/better software when running Windows.

Personally I've had bad luck with vista, but that's also on generally low end (~$500-600 new) laptops with only a gig or so of ram. I generally can't fault windows xp too much, it's a good system. Vistas had a SP out I believe so I'm sure things are better now anyway. I would recommend using a seperate windows installation (On its own partition) of just a barebones OS, with just your audio programs.

I used a program called N-Lite to strip and make my own version of xp, with just the barebone essentialls for music making. It flies compared to my winxp pro full install with all my music programs plus games and everything else under the sun. N-Lite works wonders and it's really not hard to use, you can customize your windows os to only include the specific drivers for your computer, only your language, etc etc and to strip out all the unneeded crap.

I got my xp pro install to only 244mb, and there were still quite a few more things I could have stripped out. The system feels much, much speedier now.

Edit:
Personally? I'm buying a macbook with the education discount, and getting a free ipod touch on top of that. I'm going Mac after debating it for a long time, I plan to be working on developing music based software and would prefer to do it under a mac environment. Not to mention I'm looking forward to Logic.

Last edited:
Macbook Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not even a question!

My trusty MBP has never let me down!!

Back