Quattro ASIO crashing?

V

VSTerrestrial

Anybody here with Windows XP and a Quattro having problems whenever they use the ASIO driver. It seems to drop out causing programs to crash. The MME and DX drivers are fine, but the ASIO crashes. I called M-Audio and they first told me the first two times that my computer does not support USB audio. So I bought a new computer. Now it still does this and when I called they told me that there was a known issue with their ASIO drivers and Windows XP on laptops. This they told me multiple times and that they were working on it. Then the other day they told me that it was a hardware conflict. Then they told me that it was the fact that I was using ACPI and that they would send me their new driver by last friday. Nothing yet and I am getting the feeling that they are dicking me around. Anyone have comments?

I tried a quattro with a 1.13 g laptop with xp, same problem. I was told it was an IRQ problem. Basically too many things (usb,firewire,graphics card) trying to communicate along the same line. Therefore basically too much bandwith to push down the pipe. I have a lot of m audio, and the tech guy was good about trying to help, but I have a laptop that I can't use for it's intended purpose, sucks.

vast_focus said:
I tried a quattro with a 1.13 g laptop with xp, same problem. I was told it was an IRQ problem. Basically too many things (usb,firewire,graphics card) trying to communicate along the same line. Therefore basically too much bandwith to push down the pipe. I have a lot of m audio, and the tech guy was good about trying to help, but I have a laptop that I can't use for it's intended purpose, sucks.

Good news for us with this problem. I have spoken to Calvin Banks, one of the top guys at M-Audio's tech dept. He has informed me that there will be a new driver release shortly (like in a week) that is expected to fix many issues with the ASIO driver and XP.

They too told me that it was an IRQ conflict... but I don't quite see how that would make it work under DX and MME but not ASIO. Perhaps they are right and I just don't totally understand the technical info behind ASIO technology. I do know that the computer I use (Inspiron 8200) is widely used for Audio and USB Audio so it should work. They suggested it is related to ACPI mode although on my Inspiron 8000 I tried installing Standard PC mode and it didn't make a difference. I don't know for sure what's the deal. But I hope this new driver will fix it.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Mark
www.markschonfeld.com

DirectX and MME are both technologies owned by Micrsosoft and built into the Kernel. I assume that's why ASIO is having problems cause it's not built into wintdows so it probably needs to be handled differently or somthing. But I dunno for sure.

I do know that MAudio is a great company and has ironed out known problems much faster than most other companies :D

Soren - Don't get me wrong, I am a huge supporter of M-Audio. My permanent studio and mobile studio/rig are both based around their Midi and Audio Interfaces (Delta 1010, Midisport 8x8, Quattro, Oxygen8, etc.) I am aware that DX and MME are Microsoft technologies, but I would assume that if it were an hardware confilct, then I would experience pops and clicks and such. I don't have any audio problems at all when the ASIO drivers work... just that the eventually crash or drop-out and have to be reinitialized. You are probably right in assuming that because they are not Microsoft technologies they probably do use resources differently and I'll bet that problems can arise from the different hardware configurations people use. I simply hope that these new drivers fix this... I also am interested in hearing from Mr. Banks that the new drivers supposedly have unbelievably low latency... I will be a very happy man if this is true.

Mark
www.markschonfeld.com

I was just thinking about buying a Quattro, so I'm very curious about whether the ASIO-driver problem has been solved by now. Any news yet?

stoffel said:
I was just thinking about buying a Quattro, so I'm very curious about whether the ASIO-driver problem has been solved by now. Any news yet?

Nope... no news.... they have yet to send me anything. I am getting a bit impatient. Sorry.

Mark
http://www.markschonfeld.com

who knows, maybe ill set the record for bringing a thread back from the dead. Does anyone know where i can get the asio usb driver for maudio quattro? I am using cubase and I am having horible latency without it.
thanks

Well, duh. I already looked, all i see is a driver for the quattro, when i install it i do not see the asio driver. Im a MAC guy and we have not needed any special drivers to get low latency so perhaps I am not looking in the correct place in windows. Is there some way to select a different driver so I dont get 1 second plus of latency?
Thanks

No amount of latency tweaking is gonna fix your ASIO problems if you are using a USB soundcard with a laptop that uses a shared-memory graphics card. I have been down this road and back with M-Audio Duo, Tascam US-122, even the M-A 410 FW. NONE of them were stable on my Toshiba laptop. If you must keep your laptop I would seriously suggest going with a PCMCIA card like the Echo Layla Laptop audio card. USB is never gonna perform as well as you would like, I'm afraid. It just can't sustain the kind of data transfer that is necessary to run a good DAW--especially if you perform live. You could do like I just did...I built a desktop unit soley for live shows. Forget the laptop. If you can sell it and use the money to build a good PC tower, then do it. I have a P3 512MB RAM, with the RME DIGI96/8PAD audio card and it is absolutely fantastic. I CAN'T make my computer crash now. Life gets good from here on. IF you don't mind ditching the conveniences of the laptop for a more stable, upgradeable rig, I would do it.

Back