Play LIVE with LIVE

mungo said:
That method has been tried by many people before, it doesnt work. DJ's take a fair while to get the "knack" of beat matching and thats on a nice simple mechanical interface.

I agree that it won't be easy. However, if the performer (in this case Carambel) simply practices his set before he goes out on stage, he shouldn't have any problems. Hell, he could write down the BPMs of each of his tracks so he doesn't have to tinker with it that much to get the mix nice and smooth.

Yes, this method has been tried by people before, and yes, it _does_ work. I've seen such performances and it worked quite well.

Anyway, lots of DJ hardware nowadays is far from simple and far from simply mechanical. From very powerful CD decks with built in effects, samplers, etc. to this crazy thing that Numark just released, mixing and beatmatching is slowly moving away from simply squeezing the spindle to make minute adjustments.

Guenon said:

Holy crap :(

Sorry to hear that. First of all, do not save any new files on the partition(s) which contained the data you wish to recover. If it was the C: partition you were trying to format in the first place, at least things are going pretty well in that sense: you can installi your operating system safely on the C: partition like you must have planned, after which you can try to recover the lost files from the other partitions.

Try installing PC Inspector File Recovery (freeware) and search for lost files with it. In my experience, this software works well in cases like this. Just remember not to install this or anything else on the partition(s) you wish to recover the files from, keep everything on the C: partition before you have successfully ran the recovery software. Good luck!

k guenon, thanks for the tip but i've allready tried it and it seems that all of my files have been erased for good. No time to worry about it cause i have only 2 months to put something worthy together, that really ain't so generous :-)

and for the dj-type mixing, it's just an awefull shame that two ableton programs can't be set-up on the same computer, then rewired and virtually midi-connected, that way you could just set both programs to 1 master, and BPM matching wouldn't be a problem at all, due to the MTC.
But you're probably right about the cpu...

Carambel said:

and for the dj-type mixing, it's just an awefull shame that two ableton programs can't be set-up on the same computer, then rewired and virtually midi-connected, that way you could just set both programs to 1 master, and BPM matching wouldn't be a problem at all, due to the MTC.
It has been done, with MTC or midi clock over midi.

They installed two instances of LIVE on their machine and synced them with the midi loopback driver.

mungo said:
They installed two instances of LIVE on their machine and synced them with the midi loopback driver.

BEST thing to do i think, if i wanna keep on working 'within' my songs on stage, is just put a smaller sequencer next to the comp and sync those two, and just play a little bit of ping pong.
at least then i have enough cpu to actually do things in real time, in stead of treating the audience on some nice silences and struggles :-)

Carambel said:

BEST thing to do i think, if i wanna keep on working 'within' my songs on stage, is just put a smaller sequencer next to the comp and sync those two, and just play a little bit of ping pong.
Yeah, thats the way I reccomend its done. Even if you just use a drum machine and pound some four to the floor between tracks.

mungo said:
Yeah, thats the way I reccomend its done. Even if you just use a drum machine and pound some four to the floor between tracks.

right on!

Back