Play LIVE with LIVE

C

Carambel

greetings,

i got my first lives coming up in about a month or two.
So i prepared all my shizzy and i made a handfull of songs, all saved under a new name as ableton files.

now when i play LIVE, I, offcourse, wanna mix my songs. How do i do this? Open Live twice and try to rewire?

I could bump all my songs into complete wave files and just mix them like that, but i wanna play my songs along the timeline to actually play live.

anyone wants to tell me?
grtz

I got a little lost along your post. But maybe it's automation you're thinking about? Look that up in your manual and check to see if it makes sense and if this is what you want.

nope, it's not automation.

it's actually quite simple: i've got several different tracks right. So now i want to beatmix my different tracks into one Live set in real time.

when dj'ing you just use the pitch and the pithc bend and you're headphones, but this is something you can't do with LIVE.

i just don't seem to get the trick i guess...

Re-recording into the same project is not an option?

Either that or get a DAT and record the master output from whichever mixer you are using to save your performance.

so i just record one of previous performances, and when performing "LIVE" (between BIG brackets) i just play what i have done allready at home???

that means that playing live is actually just playing something you recorded at home :-)

i over-estimated ableton i think, damz, this really is a bummer.

i wanna actually play my songs Live you know what i'm saying...

I think playing and mixing multiple Live songs *is* a bit of a problem. I'd advise you to ask this in the Ableton forums, if you haven't already, since there's a lot of people who've come up with different types of workarounds for the situation...

Carambel said:
so i just record one of previous performances, and when performing "LIVE" (between BIG brackets) i just play what i have done allready at home???

that means that playing live is actually just playing something you recorded at home :-)

i over-estimated ableton i think, damz, this really is a bummer.

i wanna actually play my songs Live you know what i'm saying...

I actually meant that when you do play your audio live then you can record back to Live also. Either that or record to a dat while you are playing live at a show.

i'd like to know how to do this to, if you do manage to find a work around pls post it.

Rewiring two LIVE programs on the same computer seems to be not an option.

i'm thinking i'm gonna have to buy a hardware sampler/sequencer and just load the sounds into that one.
It's a bit pitty of the money to buy a whole friggen sampler when all i wanna do with it is play live.

pretty stupid a program like LIVE istn't all that live-friendly istn't it...

Carambel said:
I could bump all my songs into complete wave files and just mix them like that, but i wanna play my songs along the timeline to actually play live.

There is quite a lot of stuff you can do. The most intuitive thing would be, instead of rendering your songs into just single wav files each, rendering them into the kinds of components you wish to improvise with during your live set. You will find this to be very efficient; buying a hardware sampler/sequencer to separately transfer your sounds into would only be redundant if you're already working in an environment which makes this possible. By the way, what do you mean exactly when you say you "want to play your songs along the timeline to play live"?

It sounds like you're producing songs in Ableton Live in the traditional linear way and then want to mix those song projects as-is in realtime. In all fairness, Ableton Live is extremely live performance friendly; after all, you're now talking about actually mixing whole DAW projects live with one another without any fundamental limitations. To this date live performance hasn't been possible in this manner on a single computer running one DAW application, and there isn't a single package currently on the market which would do that.

Genuinely mixing whole DAW project files on the fly within a single application running on one computer would require the sequencer application to take care of the different MIDI/audio routing schemes in every project currently being mixed. Different and overlapping controller assignments in each project file would also be a major issue. If one tried to mix song projects which needed to use the same piece of outboard gear at the same time, well, it would naturally only make things practically impossible. Also, if your projects were heavier on the computer resources than 50% of any single resource type consumed at a given moment (half of the available CPU power, half of the available memory, half of the maximum HD throughput), even if the application took good care of the routing and controller schemes, you still would not be able to run even two of such projects simultaneously, still not even considering the overhead caused by actually constantly loading and initializing different project files and their components to be mixed.

Simplifying things a bit (yes, I know there are people who do all kinds of crazy things live :D), what ever DAW software you use to produce your songs and actually finish a song with, in a traditional fashion, having the tune laid out in a linear project file containing the full routing scheme (software/outboard), VST instruments and effects, individual audio tracks and controller assignments -- then you're indeed dealing strictly with production. What ever you do when you're on the stage and throw that same tune in a live set, especially if you're using a single computer, you should not be dealing with the exact same linear project file but something you have prepared specifically with the live situation in mind -- and Ableton Live gives you much power in this department indeed.

So, although Live gives you much more freedom for live situations than a traditional linear sequencer, these rules still apply for the above reasons. In version 5 you can in fact even merge different project files, but that operation is still intended for production and preparation of live sets, not actual on-stage live merging.

Last edited:
hi guenon,

you know quite alot about the program.

maybe i had to high expectation, i just cut up te songs into multiple sort of patterns and that seems to be working quite nicely

hi guenon,

you know quite alot about the program.

maybe i had to high expectation, i just cut up te songs into multiple sort of patterns and that seems to be working quite nicely so i'll just do it that way.

Then to my next problem: i just formatted by accident my WHOLE computer in stead of just the C-station. I lost 6 months of work. got a solution for that? :-)

Carambel said:
Then to my next problem: i just formatted by accident my WHOLE computer in stead of just the C-station. I lost 6 months of work. got a solution for that? :-)

Holy crap :(

Sorry to hear that. First of all, do not save any new files on the partition(s) which contained the data you wish to recover. If it was the C: partition you were trying to format in the first place, at least things are going pretty well in that sense: you can installi your operating system safely on the C: partition like you must have planned, after which you can try to recover the lost files from the other partitions.

Try installing PC Inspector File Recovery (freeware) and search for lost files with it. In my experience, this software works well in cases like this. Just remember not to install this or anything else on the partition(s) you wish to recover the files from, keep everything on the C: partition before you have successfully ran the recovery software. Good luck!

D-Fens said:
i'd like to know how to do this to, if you do manage to find a work around pls post it.
Check out the sync² device linked in my sig.

Someone managed to get two instances of LIVE running simultaneously so its even possible to use sync² without any other hardware!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have access to 2 laptops? You could just mix just as any traditional dj would - hook up 2 laptops to a DJ mixer. This way, you can perform your tracks live and beatmix between 2 instances of Live.

mungo said:
But they arent in sync

Neither are 2 records on 2 seperate turntables. You make them in sync by adjusting tempos...this is what you wanted to accomplish, correct? Also, you can just mix during intros and outros or during breakdowns so you don't have overlapping beats.

What kind of music is it, BTW?

That method has been tried by many people before, it doesnt work. DJ's take a fair while to get the "knack" of beat matching and thats on a nice simple mechanical interface.

Back