PC or MAC

Energy_3

I know it's the age old question but have been out of producing for a few years just about to get back into and have started getting some gear.

I gather from looking around that there seems to be more applications and software for PC.

Also with ableton now and all it's link up connectivity to external hardware sequences and so on

I'm just curious as I was intending to run a Mac and logic x

Thanks in advance

I heard macs were a better choice back in the day before asio4all was developed.
As a guy who never owned a mac, I'd obviously say get a powerful desktop or laptop instead if OS was not the issue.

But if OS is the issue, then find the best mac for you.

10 years ago, the computer industry was much different. But now Windows and Mac are more similar than ever. Most DAW's and other practical applications in general work on both machines.

The only critical difference is which operating system you prefer using, and of course, your budget.

Some DAW's are not ready for Mac, some exist on Mac only - Logic, right? It's not updated on Win anymore.
Not a Mac user, Vst's seem more popular than DXi, AU, Rtas and such. Correct me if I'm wrong. But VST3 king is Cubase.

I'd say go with PC... just from a bang for the buck perspective. I had a great workstation custom built 6 or 7 years ago and with a few upgrades it still holds up really well. It disproves the old mantra that PC is lower quality bulk hardware and Apple is somehow the premium shit. We used Apple at my former job and that stuff broke down constantly.. I've had this workstation since well before that. It was much more expensive than your regular gaming PC because it's all top end hardware. Haven't had so much as a hitch on it (I didn't cause myself).. and it still ploughs through everything I throw at it like a champ.

On the other hand. I still hate Windows. OSX is easier on the eye and much nicer to work with. The macbooks are still the best choice for laptops if you ask me, so you might want to get an Apple desktop to match it. It's personal preference, really.. the time when one would have hard advantages over the other is over. And it seems like hardware isn't advancing as quick as it used to.. if my ancient by all standards PC still holds up now.

I'm required to have extensive knowledge of most things technical besides building computers, for what I do.
Which is why I will probably never buy an apple computer and stick to the linux/windows builds.

Music production is a fun pasttime however :] I'd recommend Those over mac simply because of me using those forever.

The battle between MAC and PC is not necessarily be a big deal for music production. If you wanna build a good and professional recording studio, you need them both. If not, either a PC or a MAC will work good. Both are capable on working many audio and video file types. It is always said that PC is cheaper than MAC - but that is only in price. Both of them can give quality recordings.

Most studios I've seen use Macs. Many people go with Mac to avoid the frustration of PC's. I understand that to an extent. Microsoft made the mistake of allowing its Window OS to be used by any manufacturer. A lot of manufacturers with bad quality control used it, and people attributed the poor quality to Microsoft. To an extent, that was a big mistake in failing to protect their intellectual property. Consumers have to shop around and read reviews for a good PC brand to avoid hardware failure, whereas with Mac they do not. But I implore people to have some creativity and look at the options instead of just going to Mac to avoid shopping around.

I guess it really depends on what you are using/will use. If wanting to use an Apogee or thunderbolt interface (like most high-end interfaces), or Logic Pro...go with Mac. If you're trying to use Fruity Loops :-)rolleyes:) or Sonar than go with PC. IMHO, while you can build a PC that would blow a Mac of the same price out the water, Logic Pro is becoming an industry-standard and most serious music hardware and software companies develop with Mac as a priority...it would be safer to stick with Apple.

I guess it really depends on what you are using/will use. If wanting to use an Apogee or thunderbolt interface (like most high-end interfaces), or Logic Pro...go with Mac. If you're trying to use Fruity Loops :-)rolleyes:) or Sonar than go with PC. IMHO, while you can build a PC that would blow a Mac of the same price out the water, Logic Pro is becoming an industry-standard and most serious music hardware and software companies develop with Mac as a priority...it would be safer to stick with Apple.

Honestly, the only reason Logic isn't on the PC is because Apple bought Emagic back inna day. Had that not happened we would still be on Logic on the PC. I still have my copies of LAP4.0-5.5.

Logic isn't a standard by any stretch of the imagination; ProTools is and it runs on both PC and Macs and has run on them both since the late 90's (i.e. I knew cats running an Audiomedia III and PT 5 on a Pentium 3 running Win98SE, then later I got an AMIII card running PT 6.0.1 on a 1.3GHz Athlon).

Honestly, the only reason Logic isn't on the PC is because Apple bought Emagic back inna day. Had that not happened we would still be on Logic on the PC. I still have my copies of LAP4.0-5.5.

Logic isn't a standard by any stretch of the imagination; ProTools is and it runs on both PC and Macs and has run on them both since the late 90's (i.e. I knew cats running an Audiomedia III and PT 5 on a Pentium 3 running Win98SE, then later I got an AMIII card running PT 6.0.1 on a 1.3GHz Athlon).
Logic isn't a standard??!!?? Umm...ok. ?

Logic isn't a standard??!!?? Umm...ok. ��

It isn't. A lot of people use it, but the industry standard is ProTools.

I wouldn't build out even a small project studio to rent out to clients without ProTools. If I walk into any studio anywhere in the world I expect to see a ProTools setup in there, not Logic. I doubt you could ever just stick Logic in a studio by itself and expect clients to take you seriously.

ProTools has been the standard studio recording environment since the death of ADAT and 2" tape.

Last edited:
It isn't. A lot of people use it, but the industry standard is ProTools.

I wouldn't build out even a small project studio to rent out to clients without ProTools. If I walk into any studio anywhere in the world I expect to see a ProTools setup in there, not Logic. I doubt you could ever just stick Logic in a studio by itself and expect clients to take you seriously.

ProTools has been the standard studio recording environment since the death of ADAT and 2" tape.
THE standard is Pro Tools but Logic is A standard...which is why it's taught in the major audio engineering schools (like Full Sail or SAE) You won't find any modern studio (even the ones running Pro Tools) not running Logic.

Back