Partitioning Drive C:

boomchrpaige

On their windows machines, is anyone partitioning drive C: to just the Windows System Directory? I heard this as an optimization tip, and wanted to validate it in the Musician's environment...

Thanks!

I used to go out of my way to do that kind of stuff, but I never got a noticable difference out of it. If you really want a performance difference, buy a whole new hard drive to put that one. They are cheap these days, check out
http://www.pricescan.com/01011401.asp
I assume you are using standard IDE drives. A 7200 drive is usually what is recommended for musicians, and you can usually get that for hardly any more than a 5400 drive.
I have stopped buying 7200 drives, though, because the new 5400 ones have never given me any trouble in the speed department.
And if you like opmizations: I would suggest using windows 2000 (not ME), because it is just great at handling big files in memory and on the hard disk.

I think both drives are 5400 spin, not 100% sure. There are IDE though. Coming down to customizing Windows at this level (partitioning C:...) seems to be polishing a turd...

I haven't migrated my system over to 2000, mostly just out of straight fear of the foreboding "driver issue", but I think most of the gear I've got is compliant now...

Speaking of 2000, though, is it capable of utilizing more than 256MB of RAM? I heard two ugly rumors, (one from Gateway.com) that 1) Windows 95 can't page more than 64MB of physical memory, and 2) Windows 98 can't page more than 256MB. Have you heard this?

2000 is the memory king. I am sure it can do way more than 256. I think it can utilize more than 2 Gb
I don't know about windows 95, but I bet the 98 one is at least nearly true. Reviews say that if you add more memory to a win 9.x machine above 256 you get very small gains. They say windows 2000 is supposed to continue to add significant performance above 256.

oh yes, and windows xp (should be similar to windows 2000 but with better driver support) will be coming out october 25 I believe, so probably it isnt worth an upgrade right now

i think, though, i'd rather upgrade now, though. I usually follow the adage of giving microsoft a few service packs' wait before installing one of their os's
:)
'nuther dumb ? : does win2k and (hopefully) xp have dual processor support?

that is not a bad method to follow.
windows 2000 supports multiple processors, yes
I am not sure about xp, but almost certainly, although maybe only in the "Server" version

Yea, I see it. It isn't a bad idea, if you have the hard drives. I have lots of operating systems on my systems- somehow stuff comes up which makes you happy to have a win 9.x system handy. I probably won't be ditching the 9.x for years

i'm actually going for broke (not really...i ghosted my system first + i've got three other 98 boxes) and formatting. about 48% of the way through....the coffee has been brewed...
i'm thinking that finding the drivers for an older HP CD-R shouldn't be impossible...i hope.

Back