new studio computer recommendations?

D

dj_stoupe

all right, this is for all you kids in the know about computers that are on the market. i'm dying to start building up my home studio, and i've decided that within the next three or four months i'm gonna look into buying a new computer as something to build on. the computer i use now is the computer used for internet, mp3's, everything else, and i want one for just production and editing.

does anyone have any recommendations for a decent computer (just the tower) preferably in the 500 - 800 dollar range? i just want one that it's safe to say will be extremely upgradable where memory is concerned, will be able to have midi ports installed, etc. just a nice, reliable computer for a beginners home studio that will be used non stop, and taken quite seriously.

thanks for any input.

<------------ ain't a kid, but knows a little thing or two about computers. My advice is to learn how to build one then you can set your parameters yourself. One key thing to remember is get your mother board with the same chip set as the processor you will be using. If you are lazy I'll build you one, or reccommend someone else who builds them. Another possiblity is to take the lazy man's way out and just buy one from ebay. Hmmm I might open a online store selling custom made daw's ( what an Idea):D .

try to build something with an athlon processer it will save u money vs. a pentium...peace

hey, unlimited - thanks for the response.

could you PM me with some ideas for a decent production computer that you could build and what prices i'd be looking at for them? thanks a lot -- definitely interested in that idea.

a celeron processor over 1 gig
at least 128 MB S-DRAM
at least 40 GB harddrive
Sonic Foundry software

Your best bet would be to make your own, it will be way cheaper and give you better performance.
Pentium 4 2.0ghz
Ram is cheap so get 800mb - 1gig of ram (ram gets eaten up by all the programs, effects, vsti, etc that you run when working with audio)
20 or 40 gig just for windows (will optimize performance)
60 or 80 gig for all your samples, programs, etc
cd burner
floppy drive
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard with midi

This computer setup would be a killer DAW and would serve you well.

if you will be getting a new pc for audio/music production in next three to four month
Nforce3 chip mobo with AMD64 3000 will be the best for value and the best for future upgrade ability:D (should be, since now is the the speed contest time of the year)
RAM: don't go lower than 512MB
HardDrive: recommand 2 HDs, one for softwares, one for sameples and project files./ ALSO be awared, SATA drives uses more CPU in audio programs
VideoCARD: don't get anything equip with lower than 300MHz DACs(associate with 2D performance)

very sincearly, don't go for anything slower than AMD XP2500 or P4 2.8G if you want to use software insturments with effects plug multi track recording for seriouse production under Cubase or Sonar. (for long turn sight)
ps. the XP2800 setup is in ur price range already!

if you will only use few software insturments and some effects, mainly recording for rock kind of music, then AMD XP1900 or P4 2.2g would serve you well.

hope i'm helpfull!!
peace out!!:angel:

Last edited:
If you are going to build a PC for DAW then before you make the jump, decide on the soundcard and build your computer around it.

While it is getting better, there are a host of high end soundcards that don't work well with certain processors and motherboard chipsets.

Via chipsets on motherboards tend to cause the most problems. Even some versions of Intel chipsets are not supported by a few sound card mfgs.

If you happen to build a computer and THEN buy the soundcard only to find compatability problems, the sound card manufacturer will basically tell you to pack sand, because it was listed on their non-supported list.

:cheers:

maybe...
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard with nforce2 chipset(400mhz fsb) : $120

AMD Barton 2500 processor (easily overclocked to 3000+ speeds, running at 400mhz fsb): $90

Corsair XMS(not value select) 3200+ memory : $120/ 512mg

any major brand Hard drive that runs at a minimum of 7200 RPM and an 8 med buffer is best: $60-120

They typical other components: monitor, case, keyboard, cd burner, etc.

Check out NewEGG.com fro the best prices and service..and they have a great review system with quality reviews of each procuct... check them out... this system fly's for the money

here's a basic setup for a studio production computer so long as you're set on getting a pc.

1) p4 2ghz +
2) at least 512mb rd or sdram
3) 2 hard drives running at 7200rpms one for the system and one dedicated strictly for audio and video
4) a non via chipset!

don't go for a celeron or amd. they just don't have the floating point processing abilities like the pentiums do. any serious computer music producer will stay away from these.

Back