Need help getting gear

Basically my setup is reason 4, midi controller , m-audio audiophile 192, and soon to be studio monitors and drum machine

Well I realize now how important it is to have a good mixdown for the final cut of a song.

I am thinking about getting this:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHMX882

I know that it's a "line mixer", but what's the difference between that and a regular mixer? Also, what does it mean when it says it is also a "splitter" and a "level conditioner". Finally what does it mean when it says it cleans up "signal path"

IMO I wouldn't recommend getting the line mixer. Reason has a mixer built in, you don't need an external mixer for the final cut of your song. I wouldn't even know how to route your Reason instruments to the external mixer if you did buy it. You would get a mixer like this if you were using all hardware.. not for software. It would be a waste of money. Plus it's Behringer.. they make good midi controllers, but you can usually find better hardware out there for processing audio.
Find some tutorials on good mixing... there's dozens of threads here on it, and there's a wealth of information online and on youtube. Learn how to use Reason's mixer. You can get a very good mix out of it.

If anything.. get a DAW (digital audio workstation) like Reaper (inexpensive and gets the job done) to ReWire Reason into. I've never used Reaper but i would believe it can ReWire. If not, get Cubase or Sonar, or something of that nature. This way... you can use 3rd party plugins to process your audio if you're not satisfied w/ Reason. There are many free ones people talk about here that arevery high quality. You can find a lot of them on www.kvraudio.com

A good mixdown is all about knowledge of how to use the tools you have to get the sound you want. Save the money you would've spent on this, and add it to the money you're going to spend on monitors. Get some KRKs.

Last edited:
What i have done is I have a ub2442fx mixer as my main output. It has my mbox setup to it which i use pro tools 6.9 with. then i rewired reason into it using the reason mixer for aux reverbs/flanger and compressor and the pro tools mixer as my final or mastering mixer. I also have my turntables, mic, emx-1 and korg ms2000. everything gets recorded into pro tools real time. also everything coming from reason into pro tools is midi which is awesome for quantizing and looping. if this helped and/or made any sense let me know thanks. check out myspace.com/lilkato25. new dubstep and dnb

Back