Need help, crackling/popping sound switches on and off

sexycesar

I'm not sure if it is because of the audio interface or because of Fl Studio. I have a Presonus Audiobox hooked up to my studio monitors. On FL studio I am using the "AudioBox USB ASIO driver". I also have a midi controller hooked up to the computer.

So when I start up FLStudio every thing works fine but then maybe 10-15 minutes in after playing with the keyboard, the audio gets messed up. Every single key I play makes the audio sound crackly/popping, doesn't matter if its a drum sample or a vst. What I do is I change the Input/Output to "Primary Sound Driver" and then back to "AudioBox USB ASIO driver" and then the sound is fine. But later this will happen again and it gets annoying to have to be changing the settings all the time! lol Does anyone know what the problem might be?Im running Windows 7 64bit, 16GB ram, and FLStudio 10 (extended memory)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it is because of the audio interface or because of Fl Studio. I have a Presonus Audiobox hooked up to my studio monitors. On FL studio I am using the "AudioBox USB ASIO driver". I also have a midi controller hooked up to the computer.

So when I start up FLStudio every thing works fine but then maybe 10-15 minutes in after playing with the keyboard, the audio gets messed up. Every single key I play makes the audio sound crackly/popping, doesn't matter if its a drum sample or a vst. What I do is I change the Input/Output to "Primary Sound Driver" and then back to "AudioBox USB ASIO driver" and then the sound is fine. But later this will happen again and it gets annoying to have to be changing the settings all the time! lol Does anyone know what the problem might be?Im running Windows 7 64bit, 16GB ram, and FLStudio 10 (extended memory)

You've got a couple of possible problems that I can think of right off the top of my head.

(1) I'm guessing you're not running a laptop (otherwise 16GB of RAM would be very expensive!), but if you are, your system could be causing a DPC latency spike by checking the battery in a regular interval.

(2) Your networking driver (especially if wireless), might be causing a DPC latency spike.

Regardless of the root cause, it sounds like you have a buffer overrun caused by a DPC latency spike. Some sound cards have drivers which recover automatically from these. My Echo IOx does. My US-122L didn't.

Go download DPC Latency Checker and wait for yellow or red spikes. Go into your Device Manager and disable individual pieces of hardware until these spikes no longer show up.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Back