My computer isn't doing it for me!

M

moogman

Hello, I have been running my current setup for about a year now. I recently got some new plugins, including Native Instruments Guitar Rig. It is a great program, but it is a MASSIVE cpu hog. I usually use alot of plugins, so I went for the Pentium 4, 3.0 ghz with a gig of ram when I built my computer. I still max out my processor very easily because of all my plugins. I want to be able to run all my desired plugins without getting errors. My question is: How would I benefit from getting one of the new Powermac G5'S? Would there be a noticeable difference in the load that the CPU can take? Also, is there anything I can do to improve my performance now? (I run nothing but Logic while recording, so it's not a backround process problem.) I hope that was thorough enough.

Moog

Or just have a look at a TC POWERCORE. Hooks up to a PC and takes all the workload off the CPU............

Tbat powercore looks great..but i am concerned about being able to use all my own vst's, do you know if it will process third party plugins?

the powercore won't take off the cpuload for vsti's or vst plugins, but only for those intended to be used by the powercore..

so if your cpu usage is already too high when inserting vsti's it won't be any help..

if it just gets too high if you insert effects such as reverb, delay, etc (those that are included in the powercore) then it will be useful for you..

I have had issues with CPU load before and im using a 3.2 prescott. It only happens with the free homebrew VST's though. There is one free vst I have thats a vocoder and it will eat 50% of my cpu as soon as I load it. I have never had a problem with commercial VST tho

True the VSTs that run on powercore need to be specifically designed for it but since there are quite some VSTs included with the package (effects, mastering etc..) you wont really need much more from that point of view. The included effects are better than most of the standard VSTs (In my opinion). On the otherhand there arent too many virtual synth VSTs. Included is a virtual SH-101 called PowerCore O1 and you can also purchase a VIRUS. More instruments are under preperation.

dunno if this will work but save the vsti's as wav files and load into the mix later on ? how many vsti's do u have running at once when u start to hear the programs sequencer start to lag ?

Boy, I sure do load it before I get an overload...heres the list (its crazy!) I usually run all these (It varies a bit depending on the song)..major cpu hog..but it gets me the perfect sound!

*PSP Mixpressor x2
*Waves 10 Band Parametric x14
*PSP Mixbass
*Waves RVerb
*Emagic Silvergate x2
*Native Insruments guitar rig x2 (This is the big one that always takes up my cpu power)
*Amplitube
*Waves L2
*Logic PShift II
*Waves Maxxbass
*Waves Renissance Bass
*KA Gold Compressor x2
*PSP Vintage Warmer

Running all those is the exact amount that maxes my cpu out..I realize that is actually a s*** load of plugins to be running.. but I would like the headroom for a few more. All four busses are being used..I guess my songs are just complex, have alot of tracks, and I like to add different flavors of effects to each track to make them sound just right. I can get an awesome sound running those plugins..i just get error messages. If i had a little more power, I would be able to mix properly without the error messages, and still get the right sound.

I guess i am just looking for a little more power..and was wondering what my next computer upgrade should be. Mac G5 possibly?

Moog

I doubt you need 14x 10 band EQ's, only use as many bands as required, switching between them keeps the settings which is handy.

Pick up a cheap second hand creamware card and run most of your compression and EQ'ing there (or get a digital mixer :P )

Back