MPD 16 vs M-Audio Trigger finger

yo whuts tha deal with tha padKontrol? ain't nobody bring that up yet, i'd like to know if thats n e better than tha trigger and mpd

yeluhz strongs said:
yo whuts tha deal with tha padKontrol? ain't nobody bring that up yet, i'd like to know if thats n e better than tha trigger and mpd

lol pad control sucks... I personally didnt like how small and stiff the pads were compared to other drum pads. And the keys on the board were just like the keys on a microKorg.. very toyish IMO.

The trigger finger is good, but Akai came out with the mpd 24 which pretty much $hits on the TF, and also, the prices on the MPD 16's dropped. Only get the mpd24 if your into CC/midi/assigning controllers and all that stuff.... otherwise, your going to be paying an extra 100 bucks for 16 levels, LED screen and the above mentioned stuff....

If you use reason, u can download templates for your MPD 16 to control reason's redrum.

diegoesk said:
lol pad control sucks... I personally didnt like how small and stiff the pads were compared to other drum pads. And the keys on the board were just like the keys on a microKorg.. very toyish IMO.

The trigger finger is good, but Akai came out with the mpd 24 which pretty much $hits on the TF, and also, the prices on the MPD 16's dropped. Only get the mpd24 if your into CC/midi/assigning controllers and all that stuff.... otherwise, your going to be paying an extra 100 bucks for 16 levels, LED screen and the above mentioned stuff....

If you use reason, u can download templates for your MPD 16 to control reason's redrum.

Before you start saying stuff sucks why don't you actually pay attention. Korg padKONTROL isn't Korg Kontrol. padKONTROL is a MIDI pad controller and is top knotch. Yes the pads on the Korg Kontrol are small & stuff but the padKONTROL boats full sized pads, extremely sensitive along with 7 velocity curves and fixed velocity per pad and they are far from stiff.. MPD24 isn't even out dude, it's only announced. Not even shipping till August. MPD24 while visually appealing, there's nothing innovative about it other than it's a step up from its predecessor but it also goes back a knotch because of its @ss backwards design.

Oh and since MPD24 doesn't ship till August, how can you assume it will probally sh!t on the Trigger Finger? Trigger Finger is nothing special anyhow, so perhaps it may sh!t on it but you're saying it as if you know it's going to which you can't know. Nobody at FP knows what the MPD24 will be like. The closest anybody could have came to knowing is 1) Being at a conference where it was _displayed_ 2) Watching the video of it barely being used, if you even want to say used as it was more like displayed.

Oh and for the record, Korg Kontrol(not to be confused withthe tiny keyed MicroKontrol) is a excellent controller, it's just the intregrated pads blow big time. Everything else about that controller is great.

Last edited:
I have both, bought the trigger finger first, for use with live 5 & reason 3, but couldn't resist getting the mpd when guitar center put em on clearence for 99 bucks instead of the 300 they were going for.
I leave the trigger finger hooked up in my stay at home studio and take the mpd everywhere in my mobile powerbook based rig.

It's strange cause neither of them really have the exact pad feel of the MPC, why not? but I think they will both serve their purpose for you, just decide if you need knobs or "akai" branding

TF is a "something" special...it's a problem.

Worked with the MPC1000, MPD, and TF is my weapon of choice, love the feel. No problems with her.

The pads are in my opinion of "better" feel, which I know is subjective, but I had to say that, coz I see too many catz suffering from "TF-hate".

chadwik1914 said:
TF is a "something" special...it's a problem.

Worked with the MPC1000, MPD, and TF is my weapon of choice, love the feel. No problems with her.

The pads are in my opinion of "better" feel, which I know is subjective, but I had to say that, coz I see too many catz suffering from "TF-hate".

I've nothing against the MPD nor the TF. MPD is great in its own way and so is the TF. But just as people took to TF over the MPD, there will be people taking the PK over the TF and when something better comes along people will take to that too. It's inevitable.

And I agree that it's all subjective. Cause we all know what's good for one person might kill the next.

Nah, dog...the TF is the best that is, best that was, best that every will be...

;-)

wait, they dropped the price on the Akai's, well...the MPD is the best that...

Nah, I'm just like catz like to dis M-Audio, like I'm yet to see a bad product from them...there is always a first time of everything, but I'm yet to see it.

Like I have no loyalties, I have a TF, and I'm getting my brother a MPD coz of the price drop...like I read some of these posts and I'm like have these guys really ever used this product.

chadwik1914 said:
Nah, dog...the TF is the best that is, best that was, best that every will be...

;-)

wait, they dropped the price on the Akai's, well...the MPD is the best that...

Nah, I'm just like catz like to dis M-Audio, like I'm yet to see a bad product from them...there is always a first time of everything, but I'm yet to see it.

Like I have no loyalties, I have a TF, and I'm getting my brother a MPD coz of the price drop...like I read some of these posts and I'm like have these guys really ever used this product.

Maybe it was the best before padKONTROL came around but that isn't the case anymore. There's a new sheriff in town and he isn't packing a pea shooter :p

ha, for real tho! The mpd-16 has less features, no knobs and less programability. People are just praising it cuz its from AKAI!!! Thats bulls***. The trigger finger pads are just as good and from what I've heard has less compatibility issues then the AKai. Just see for yourself, google- consumer reviews trigger finger, or trigger finger versus mpd-16 and let the facts speak for themselves

Hey all.

Thought I'd weigh in. I'm making the transition to working on a MB Pro for my music, using my desktop at home and going out and about with just pads and my MBP.

I have been debating the three, reading about them, etc.

I like the MPD 16 @ 99 bucks. Thats 50 bucks less then I can get the trigger finger for and the TF gives me some pause as knobs and sliders strike me as something easily snagged, broken etc. when packing it into a backpack with some books and a laptop.

So, while I enjoy the functionality of having sliders and knobs to assign anywhere, for use as a portie controller, I plan on skipping the trigger F.

same with the MPD 24. It also seems a bit bulkier then the MPD 16.

The Korg interests me for a couple of reasons.

#1 no sliders, and durable, big knobs that look like they wont have problems with a little bumping around. Plus Korg has always (at least in my opinion) made durable road ready gear.

#2 While a slider is awesome, the XY pad is AMAZING for what I work with, Ableton Live, that basically has an XY pad for controlling all its effects, which would make working with it super simple, just use the XY pad and the 2 knobs and you've got all the control over VST, VSTi's etc. you really need.

What I'd like to ask a Korg owner is:

how durable is that bad boy? Is it road ready? I know Korgs rep but I haven't owned a Korg product in a while.
How easy is assigning controls compared to the trigger F and the MPD? I assume there is some sort of software mapping?

The Korg seems ready made for use with reason and ableton live, and the XY pad is really preferable (at least to me) over sliders.

thanks!

Any Korg user around? :)

Mpd16 doesn’t have so many options, but is the XY pad worth 50 € (around so)? The Korg also has more software bundled, for example small drumkits for free.

( I get a Trigger Finger and padKontrol at the same price, mpd16 a bit cheaper and the big Akai is not in our stock :( )

can u program n e of the pad controllers so that when u hit the pad twice, the sample cuts itself and plays again. like tha Note On feature on the MPC...

ex of a sample: ding-dong... so, if i hit it twice, can i make it go, "ding-ding-dong"??

thanks

Back