MPC vs. Fruityloops

D

dagods

I've had some barbershop arguments with people about hardware and software. I'm curious...can anyone tell me if the sound out of the MPC is better than what's coming out of FL? If so, can the MPC's sound be duplicated by adjusting somethings in FL?

The sound you get depends mainly on two things--

1. The waves or plugins you use, AND
2. The way in which you mix and "maximize" those sounds.

How you sequence your music (MPC, FL, Reason), means almost nothing to the sound quality, which is determined by your mixing and FX (compressors, preamps, reverbs, etc). What you use to sequence that music depends on your budget, preferences, and needs to conform or not conform to the "concensus".

Have a nice day.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, there's no difference in the sound quality of the MPC and the fruityloops..I think that some people feel that the drums sound better coming out of the MPC for some reason. And to me, I figure that the MPC is no more than a computer using software just like FL. but thank you for confirming that for me

dagods said:
So, there's no difference in the sound quality of the MPC and the fruityloops..I think that some people feel that the drums sound better coming out of the MPC for some reason. And to me, I figure that the MPC is no more than a computer using software just like FL. but thank you for confirming that for me

If you load the same snare, for example, into FL and the MPC, you'll still have to mess wit the volume of the snare, EQ, FX, and what not, to make it crack right in your mix. If the MPC has built-in preamps for anything you load, that's just one less step you'd have to do yes. But that's not to say that in FL you cant just insert the "Blood Overdrive" onto its FX channel, and get the same result.

It all depends on what you like more. FL has the tools, but most people are ignorant to their proper use, which leads to skepticism.That's natural. Plus people get caught up in media, like ads for example, and people like Pete Rock reppin the MPC. I think all units have a place and certain people who should go a certain way depending on their needs.

I've never used an MPC, but would definately like to cop one someday to expand my skills with hardware. For now, I'm continuing to master FL and make myself more versatile with all types of tricks. After 5 years, I midaswell stay on this path. It's my best shot to break-in with a hit.

Peace.

Aight let us clear this puff in the air. Both Hardware and Software programs will do the same work. Honestly, if you analyse it, neither is really better than the other. It's only recently that some Hardware and Software developers are trying to add new features to their products to make them better than their competitors which is the reason why every year, there's a new version with new features, forcing you to go and get it. If you take the same sample and put it into both Fruity Loops and the MPC without adding any effects or tempering with the sample anyway, they will sound the same when both are turned up the same volumes. I have both the Hardware and software. You see the differences when you add effects to the Software or Hardware to modify the sample or tweak it. That is, how the sample sounds depends on how you mix your record or the beat. Somebody can use a Software program and make a beat better than another person who used the Hardware and vice versa. It all depends on how you mix the entire beat together to bring out your final compisition. 9th Wonder uses Fruity Loops and his beats sounds better than another Producer with the MPC. The reverse can also be true so in the end, neither equipment has the ultimate sound or sound better than the other. What makes the sound good is the mixing and Mastering, the effects and Processors used to bring the sound out. Now if you compare the Hardware effects to the Software effects, they both get the job than but since most of the Software effects are simulation or virtual versions of the Hardware effects, most engineers will tell you the Hardwares are better and I can agree in a sense but with the kinda work the Softwares effects are doing today, you might be wrong. The Software effects work so well, you might think they were Hardware effects. And it all boils down to the Engineer using the effects or equipments. It is always the knowledge and know how which makes the difference not the type of gear you use. Everybody has their preference and what they can afford, the kinda or type of gear they like to use but you can't make the conclusion that one is better. For Effects, they can sound different based on their features, how you use them and the way you use them.
If you are talking in terms of the FEATURES they have, then, one might be better. Just because a lotta Super Producer uses the MPC doesn't make it any better than Fruity Loops. A lotta those same Super Producers out there uses Fruity Loops too, you might not know that. Get it clear. Understand these equipments well because they are all some COMPLEX ****. Holla .....

if you use FL studio get a good soundcard, and waves plugins... if you got mpc get some good hardware effects. FL cheaper, and like he said, 9th wonder is sick.. i make all my music on FL studio with waves plugins, im picking up my ASRXPRO tomorrow though im so excited to put the mouse and keyboard down, "point click beats" <-- gets boring. for me at least. even playing sounds live and quantizing in FL
i want hardware basically and ive been using fl for about 3 years. -manic

That's true, once again it's preference. Some Super Producers won't use any Software program because they are not COMFORTABLE sitting infront of the computer with the mouse and the keyboard. Kanye West uses Logic which is a Software together with the MPC and he's making hit records. Guru who prouduced and Engineers for Jay-Z also uses Logic. Even Just Blaze has used Logic to make several beats for Jay-Z. So in the end, pick the gear you can afford and you are COMFORTABLE using, because really, none is really better than the other. They are all good. Some producers even uses outdated equipments which are not even manufactured anymore, you can't find their equipments anywhere to buy and you can't say that your new purchased HARDWARE or SOFTWARE is better than theirs. If you think that it is the kind of gear you use, you might not be able to make a hit record. Because once somebody is able to make a hit record with a SOFTWARE, you might be deceived to use a SOFTWARE and another makes a hit record with the HARDWARE, you will be considering switching between the 2. Either way you are wrong. It's not the equipment they use. Both HARDWARE and SOFTWARE are good. Holla ......

ednegga said:
Aight let us clear this puff in the air. Both Hardware and Software programs will do the same work. Honestly, if you analyse it, neither is really better than the other. It's only recently that some Hardware and Software developers are trying to add new features to their products to make them better than their competitors which is the reason why every year, there's a new version with new features, forcing you to go and get it. If you take the same sample and put it into both Fruity Loops and the MPC without adding any effects or tempering with the sample anyway, they will sound the same when both are turned up the same volumes. I have both the Hardware and software. You see the differences when you add effects to the Software or Hardware to modify the sample or tweak it. That is, how the sample sounds depends on how you mix your record or the beat. Somebody can use a Software program and make a beat better than another person who used the Hardware and vice versa. It all depends on how you mix the entire beat together to bring out your final compisition. 9th Wonder uses Fruity Loops and his beats sounds better than another Producer with the MPC. The reverse can also be true so in the end, neither equipment has the ultimate sound or sound better than the other. What makes the sound good is the mixing and Mastering, the effects and Processors used to bring the sound out. Now if you compare the Hardware effects to the Software effects, they both get the job than but since most of the Software effects are simulation or virtual versions of the Hardware effects, most engineers will tell you the Hardwares are better and I can agree in a sense but with the kinda work the Softwares effects are doing today, you might be wrong. The Software effects work so well, you might think they were Hardware effects. And it all boils down to the Engineer using the effects or equipments. It is always the knowledge and know how which makes the difference not the type of gear you use. Everybody has their preference and what they can afford, the kinda or type of gear they like to use but you can't make the conclusion that one is better. For Effects, they can sound different based on their features, how you use them and the way you use them.
If you are talking in terms of the FEATURES they have, then, one might be better. Just because a lotta Super Producer uses the MPC doesn't make it any better than Fruity Loops. A lotta those same Super Producers out there uses Fruity Loops too, you might not know that. Get it clear. Understand these equipments well because they are all some COMPLEX ****. Holla .....

Pretty much echoed my words earlier in this post.

FrankManic said:
if you use FL studio get a good soundcard, and waves plugins... if you got mpc get some good hardware effects. FL cheaper, and like he said, 9th wonder is sick.. i make all my music on FL studio with waves plugins, im picking up my ASRXPRO tomorrow though im so excited to put the mouse and keyboard down, "point click beats" <-- gets boring. for me at least. even playing sounds live and quantizing in FL
i want hardware basically and ive been using fl for about 3 years. -manic

If you get a drumpad controller and a keyboard, all you'll be pointing and clicking is the effects and mixer...

MPC = cool, fruityloops = common sense

I know how to use both, and to be honest, fruity loops is a hell of a lot easier, and as we have read over and over and over its 99.99999% your talent, your instruments, your synth sound quality. FL studio synths are poor, but you can make your own or import your own and simply drag and drop them. Just make sure you have a good sound editing tool, and good quality mic with low hissing sound in the background, i.e. possibly a booth, (getting the right synths that the pro's use i.e. harps, guitars, basses is the tricky part, notice how this has nothing to do with what technology you use.

Basically, it looks and feels quite cool to use an MPC, the truth of it is, you can chop up a sample using sound editing software. drag it to a layer on fruity loops and use your keyboard to do the rest, if you need the sample to stay and you wanna record another, then put it into a different layer. makes life a lot easier. and the sample pitch choosing a lot more flexible.

Still nothing like workin with an MPC in the studio i know. feels more proffessional.

i use to have a mpc and i used fl and for me personally you can do just about everything on fl that you can do on the mpc. for me personally i was more comfortable with fl. i went the drumpad & keyboard route and never looked back. but that's just my personal preference.

i use to have a mpc and i used fl and for me personally you can do just about everything on fl that you can do on the mpc. for me personally i was more comfortable with fl. i went the drumpad & keyboard route and never looked back. but that's just my personal preference.
Me too. :)

Well I had this conversation with alot of knowledgeable people, the end result of the matter is that hardware instruments (mpc / synths etc ) have a much richer sound with more harmonics and what you need 10 steps to maaaaaybbeee get the same sound with software you get it inherently on hardware synths and pads.

An the mpc especially the 3000 because its old and its processor is laggy, it gives a swing (groove) to your beat that you need to put it in yourself in software ...and even then its not the same because everytime the mpc repeats a pattern, the swing is never the same.
And coming back to harmonics , the importance of them is that when it comes to mixing , even before you start mixing the channels that are tracked of hardware synths seem to mesh well , so the mixing is effortless.

Unofrtunately i cant afford to get hardware gear , but there's a reason why they still sell em !

Consider Scott Storch ...millions of dollars yet his whole career is based on the Yamaha Motif and the akai mpc 2000 xl ...

same here i got the whole nine thou i bought an mpc for a 1000$ a top quality yamaha for 2000$ an i hated to layer the sounds an sync the two together if your a wiz on reading manuals an you got time an money to loose go hardware route I personaly know and feel hardware take you back two steps back everytime an FL damn im in love i havent ever been so certain bout the selection and how fast my work flow is with out hardware .. but if they ever make an mpc vst with a drum pad i be in love again , but till then FL STUDIO is my baby!

Back