MPC 2000xl vs. STUDIO PLUS?????

baseone

what is the REAL difference...i would like to know from someone who has experience with the mpc 2000xl
and the mpc2000xl studio plus...should i save and get the 2000xl studio plus or just go for the 2000xl?

There's 3 flavors to the MPC2000XL.

Base MPC2000XL
MPC2000XL Studio
MPC 2000XL Studio Plus

The base MPC2000XL differs from the MPC2000 in that it has WAV support and Time Stretching features.

The MPC 2000XL Studio contains the 8 out board (SMPTE/SPDIF reader/generator).

The MPC2000XL Studio Plus contains the 8 out board as well as the SampleVerb effects processor.

The good thing is that you can buy the base MPC2000XL and add the 8 out expander and the effects unit at a later time. The 8 outs will save you time (money) in the studio because you will be able to track out a beat in one or two passes using all of the available outputs. If you're at home and don't need to worry about being on the clock at a studio, you can do the same passes with the standard 2 out, but it will take a much longer time.

I have the Studio version and I have never worked with the effects board. I have never heard a good thing about it, so I never really looked into it.

I made sure that I bought the MPC2000XL Studio, because I have an 8-input soundcard card. When I track a beat, the 8 outs of the MPC go directly into the 8 ins of my soundcard. I can get my beat tracked into my sequencer in 1 or 2 passes (5-10 minutes). Tracking without the 8 out board would take me 20-30 minutes to get all the tracks seperated. If you're paying studio time by the hour, you can see where you can save money with this option.

If your soundcard only has 2 inputs, no need in getting the 8 outs board because you will still be stuck to tracking your beats 2 tracks at a time.

I've seen the 8 outs/SMPTE/SPDIF board for under $250. I have never priced the effects unit.

Here's some more info from AKAI's site
http://www.akaipro.com/consumersite/productpage2.asp?id=77&section=options

i would worry more about adding memory, and an extra drive to your setup. Just get the base model.

extra memory will give you more sample time plus the ability to load larger samples.

more memory does you no good unless you have another way to save your samples to a large disk (a zip drive), floppy drive is really only good for saving sequences and small sample (really small) although it can be done, but your life will be easier with zip drive.

peace.

Ya, pick up the memory from a used computer shop (they dont manufacuture this type of memory anymore). You need 2 sticks of 16 MB 72-Pin SIMM Chips. The 2 16 meg chips will give you 32 megs of memory + 2 megs onboard memory, which is the max on the MPC2000XL (189.2 seconds). You can find this memory for about $5-$10. You shouldnt pay more than that or you're getting ripped off.. This memory used to be used in Pentium 1 computers which are obsolete and the memory is basically useless. Any used computer shop will have this memory lying around not being used. You can read how to install the memory on the net, just pop open the MPC and put em in, not very hard at all.

Saving to floppy is a pain. I'd advise picking up a 100 Megabyte SCSI zip drive. Also, these drives are no longer being manufactured but you can find plenty on E-Bay used. Make sure it's SCSI and you get the special SCSI cable (you can pick these up at any computer store new). If you're buying new and got the extra cash, I would probably get the MPC with the zip drive already installed.

I also hooked up a SCSI CD-Rom on my mpc for about $45, that way I can load wavs and akai sample cds right into the MPC without going to the pc first. The CD-Rom can only read, you cannot write to a CD with the MPC2000..

Again, there is a gang of info on Akai's site

http://www.akaipro.com/consumersite/productpage2.asp?id=77&section=faqs

akai

thanks a LOT!

i dont want to spend money on stuff i dont really need..
but its good to know if i get the base i can add on later to make it a the same as the other.
have you used or formed a opinion on the rs7000 yet?
and one more question... rs vs. akai...or ...rs before akai..or akai then other stuff?

I never messed with the RS-7000. I watched a movie clip about it from NAMM, and it seemed like it was targetted towards techno. If you're doing hiphop, the MPC2000XL is a staple in the industry. Any real studio you goto will have one of these around.

Remember that the MPC doesnt have any sounds or synths in it. Its completely empty when you start it up and you have load all your own sounds. I think the RS-7000 has some onboard sounds but I dont know about the sound quality.

If you're doing hiphop, get the MPC. I bought my 2000XL Studio off Ebay used 2 years ago for $900. Great deal. I heard they are getting cheaper since the 4000 came out.

music bouncer

you bought it used two years ago?
and it still works good?
if so i might look into ebay...i was a little afraid of buying from someone i dont know like that...but that is a great example..
thanks.

yes, mpc is a rugged machine.. it'll last you quite awhile.

It took me about 3 weeks to finally win a bid on Ebay . I only had $1000 to spend and once the bid went above that, I had to quit bidding. I think I bid on at least 8 mpc's before I won. Luckily, I won the bid from a used music instrument shop in Denver, Colorado. It was a well known business so I felt comfortable buying from them.

Check out www.shreveaudio.com, they have some cheap gear prices. I dont know the prices on Ebay but i've seen some regular MPC2000's for sale locally in the $700 range. Alot of people are trading in for the 4000. Here's another used equipment dealer. www.roguemusic.com. They dont have any MPC2000's listed but you may want to call them to see what their prices are.

Musicians Friend.com got the MPC2000XL with Zip drive for $1300 brand new. You'll get the warranty with new gear purchase.

gutta: Rather simple question man.. I saw that you tracked your projects into a dig audio sequencer. I was wondering which one? I was gonna do the same thing.. planned on using Cubase SL. I know I need a audio interface (breakout box) I was planning on using a simple USB one (possibly firewire).. cuz I wasn't gonna get the MPC Sudio with all the outs. I was looking at the M-audio line... I dunno wat would be best Duo/Quattro or if any of those can even be used for my purposes. I was looking at the Duo cuz I need the Mic Preamp/plugin. I wanna stay away from installing a PCI card. I'm mainly planning on sampling from vinyl (do you do this.. can u reccomend a good cheap table.. strictly for sampling and some tips on hooking all this stuff up and everthing I need). Also if I'm sampling from vinyl you think I can hold off with the external CD drive.. I'm trying to cut as much budget as possible. Any reccomendations/help (from anyone) would be greatly appreciated... thanks.. Peace-1!

I track my drums from my MPC into Cubase SX. From there I am able to add effects to my drums (reverb on snares, eq the kick etc.) I basically use the MPC to get the feel of my drums and then transfer everything over. I can then do drops and breakdowns visually rather than creating new sequences in the MPC. I synced my Cubase and MPC2000XL with MTC (Midi Time Code). When I hit play/record in Cubase, it automatically starts the MPC from the time position I have in Cubase. From Cubase I then add to the track using various synths and samplers.

If you're looking for the basic, just get an MPC2000XL. You don't have to worry about getting the 8 Outs board. You can still transfer your beats from the MPC to your sequencer one track at a time using the main outs. It will take a few more runs, but it will work. I have an Echo Layla 24 with breakout box (http://www.echoaudio.com). I love this thing, but I also paid $800 for it a few years ago. If you're picking up a soundcard, make sure its 24Bit / 96Khz. It makes an big difference.

No I do not sample from vinyl but I have. All you need is a turntable with mixer. Take the audio outs of the mixer and plug them into the MPC and sample what you want. You can also sample into the PC (using Cool Edit Pro, Soundforge, WaveLab etc..), make your edits and then load it into the MPC using a zip drive or floppy. In the past I have had a turntable hooked up to a home stereo system. I set it up so that I had the Headphones out of the stereo going to the Ins of my soundcard and recorded that way. I am planning on buying some turntables soon, for sampling I dont think you need anything expensive, because all you're doing is playing a record and recording (you're not scratching your samples). You can find an old turntable at a friends or relatives house and use that. If you're into scratching, then pick up a belt-drive turntable for that. Order the catalog from Pro-Sound (http:/www.pssl.com) I'll probaby just pick up a cheap pair of Gemini's since I just need them for production and I am not a DJ and will not be doing any shows.

The CD drive on my MPC is for loading WAV and AKAI samples. I have quite a few of sample cd's in that format and thats how I load them into the MPC. You can also load them into the pc and transfer them from the PC to the MPC with a zip or floppy disk, but that adds an extra step.

Ya, actually right now.. I'm kinda leanin towards ProTools... w/ the MBox. That way I wouldnt have to worry about buyin cubase and the AI.. all comes in one. That 800 bucks for a AI is a bit off my budget right now. I'm just worried about ProTools being a good purchase for PC users.. I mean I know the LE version is compatable. But will they have future PC updates.. right now OS 6 is only shipping for Mac.. I dunno if they are shipping it for PC or not. What do you think.... Cubase set up (what other audio interface would u reccomend?) OR Mbox/ProTools.? BTW I don't think anyone I know has a table anymore.. could U reccomend a good cheap one. As far as a mixer.. will one of those behringers do it.. they're like 70 bucks. Or do I have to get a certain table mixer. Also what would you reccomend the most out of Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and Sound Forge 6.0! Thanks alot for the help. Peace-1!

:cheers:

Last edited:
I have never used Pro Tools, but I have heard negative things about Pro Tools LE for the PC. From what I've heard, the PC version is no comparison with the Mac version and that it is very under-developed. Plus you are stuck using Pro Tools hardware. With my Echo card, I can use any audio package out there. This was great because I have progressed from Vegas Pro 1.0 to Cubase 5.0 to Nuendo 1.6 to Cubase SX all with the same hardware. With Pro Tools, you are stuck to using their product (hardware & software) and you have no choice if you decide to move to something else. Pro Tools is great for a large studio, but they still have yet to offer a good consumer (home) product that compares to Cubase or Logic.

I havent looked at audio cards recently, but when I was doing my research for my Echo Layla, the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card was a great choice at that time. (http://www.midiman.net/products/m-audio/audiophile.php)

You may want to do a little more research. Here's a good website that lists most of the cards (http://www.audiomidi.com/hardware/audio_pci.cfm)

As for a turntable, I'm just going to pick up a $100 cheap Gemini turntable. And a cheap DJ mixer. You might want to check the DJ section for better information than I can give you.

For a wav editor (Cool Edit Pro, Sound Forge etc), I personally use Wavelab 4.0. But I'm sure the other wav editors are just as good. (They're all basically the same)

Back