MacBook Pro is out.

I said I wouldn't buy the Mac when it gets the Intel chip because I was against a PC chip in a Mac, but this might prove me wrong. Man, it is nice, the specs on it, it is a hard decision, but I am going to wait awhile and wait to see what the critics say and if there is going to be any recalls on it.

hate to break it to you, but they dont actually come out till next month.

the only problem i can see with the new macs is i dont think mac os justifies the fairly large price difference that will arise. although the posibility of dual booting mac os and winxp (legally) is a nice perk. and when vista comes out both (the imac and macbook) will be plenty capable.

i find it funny that apple is still offering the g5 imac for the same price. silly apple and their deception.

i also find it funny that for $300 less than a 2ghz powermac g5 you can have basically the same power (according to apple's benchmarks) plus a 20" screen, twice the ram, almost twice the hd space, a better vid card, and about 6 months of non-obsolete-ness in a much smaller form factor. granted you dont have anything close to the upgrade possibilities, but thats something i could possible overlook for once.

i think i finally found the mac to replace my mom's 1st gen imac.

i think the best thing about this all is (hopefully) the ability to pop in a newer/faster cpu of the same model with the ease that the pc community has enjoyed for so long.

i give it less than 2 weeks till someone has installed windows on the imac and/or figured out how to break apple's authorization chip (the one that tells the installer the comp is actually a mac).

Last edited:
hollip3020 said:
hate to break it to you, but they dont actually come out till next month.

Yeah, thought about it when writing the title but then came to the conclusion that most everybody knows that when Apple unveils a product it's not gonna actually be out to buy for some time...

Anyway, I'd still wait and see (even if I had the money at hand, which I don't :)) to see how they actually perform before running out to grab one, all fanboy-like.

hollip3020 said:

i think the best thing about this all is (hopefully) the ability to pop in a newer/faster cpu of the same model with the ease that the pc community has enjoyed for so long.

Why do you think you can't just pop a newer faster processor in there now? You can upgrade any mac processor to a faster chip. Intel or not.

weve been over this numerous times, its not that you cant do it on a mac, its that theres not very many options and up until now the only way to do it is to buy a 3rd party upgrade card which is basically your same cpu just overclocked a little. ibm and motorola (freescale) dont sell the bare chips to the public, intel does.

Back