Votes: 71 47.3%
  • PC

Votes: 77 51.3%
  • Dont use computers

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Carnage

Back with a Boom Clap
Ok, this isnt a Mac vs PC thread (coz we've heard it all before), but a poll to find out which is used most by people on this board.

hardware:
dual 1.4ghz AMD mp's w/ 512mb PC2100 registered (ECC) DDR ram
2 40gb IBM 7,200rpm deskstars running into a promise ATA 100 RAID PCI card using RAID 0 (striping - "doubles" the bandwidth)
m-audio delta 410
ATI raedeon 9000 pro (dual monitor outs)

software:
winXP pro
Cubase SX
Gigastudio

Hardware:

17" iMac 800mhz
- 80GB Internal Drive
- 180GB Firewire Drive
- 768mb RAM

Software:

- Mac OS 9.2.2
- Digital Performer 3
- Absynth
- MetaSynth
- SuperCollider

Mac G4 Dual 867mHz 1.25gB ram + 3 drives.
MOTU Midi Express Midi Converter and MOTU 24i Soundcard
TC Electronics Powercore DSP card and Plug-ins
Korg Oasys DSP Synth Card
Event 20/20Bas Powered Monitors

Digital Perfomer 3.11
Absynth
Metasynth
ReCycle
Waves Platinum Bundle
Altiverb
Bais Peak

Pentium III - 500 (yeah, yeah :D )
512 MB RAM (running at 133 mHz )
ATA-100 7200rpm - WD 80 GB, IBM 60 GB
Echo Mia
Sound Blaster Live (for Sound Font sample set playback)
Sonar 2XL
Sound Forge 5
ACID Pro 3
plugins from TImeworks, Cakewalk, Sonic Foundry and indies

Last edited:
pentium III 1.0 gHz
512 MB SDRAM
IDE 36 GB hard drive for OS
IDE 80 GB hard drive for recording and music files
Motu 2408mkII
Midiman Midisport 4x4
Windows Millenium

Software
Cubase VST/32 5.1R6
Native Instruments Battery (Actually im picking it up today)
Emagic Sound Diver 3.0
Wavelab 3.0

Last edited:
1 ghz amd athalon
256 ram
windows xp
20 gig drive

fruityloops
acid pro
sound forge
cubase
nuendo
goldwave
battery
buzz
waves plugins
no hardware except turntables/mixer

Slightly off topic but pretty amusing...

When an enthusiastic (volunteer) Mac evangelist pal saw the January 2003 PC Magazine in my hands he ripped into, flipping the pages like a madman...

continued

Best of both

My newest edition to the fam:

Mirror drive, Dual 867 MAC G4, superdrive, 1 gig ram, 80 internal, 80 external lacie-for Digidesign 002/Protools LE 5.3.1

PII 400, 256 ram, 40 gig- internet use only & buring cd-r

AMD Athlon 1.4, 516 ram, 80 gig- aiport(networked) to MAC for wav editing and sound development.

Truth to all this madness.........I love em both......but my favorite is the G4.......It's just more stable and its an industry standard!!!!!!! Trust!!!

I have the same mirrored G4(The vacuum cleaner edition), and I love it too. One suggestion though. If your external drive is firewire, it will limit your track count. I had the Glyph M-Project firewire drive made specifically for MOTU software, and I noticed that it cut my track count. I wound up taking it out of the 1U rackmount that it came in and installing it directly to my motherboard. Lo and behold my track count shot up again. Just a word of advice.

Drew

humm?

Yup I got the vaccum addition too. Man is it quite...Its like a airplane flying over. But can't complain to much....at least it works. Is there a MAC fix for that? I've heard the rumors but haven't really attempted to fix it cause that is the least of my concerns at this time.

An enternal was a good option for me and I haven't had any problems with track counts. I can use all 32 tracks with a few plugins, but it is intense on my CPU. I only use about 10 trax at a time though. I create mostly Hip Hop or R&B tracks. But when I record vocals, the trax will start to pile up after a while.

I did consider internal but I like the ease of taking the external out and about without worries harming the internal. But $hit happens if your not careful. But as of now, haven't had a reason to take it out of my room yet.

There's actually a firmware update for the mirrored G4s that works really well. Mine hardly makes any noise anymore. As far as track count goes, I usually run about 35 stereo tracks in a song (70 tracks total). I needed the track count.

Last edited:
PC.

I cant afford to pay twice the price for a machine less powerfull than mine.

Now, now. I love my hand-built old Windows jalopy, too. And I'm quick to defend Windows as my choice of platforms when under attack (maybe a little too quick :D ).

But these things are subjective. Even bang-for-buck is subjective and arguable. I know I'd use a PC even if Apples were cheaper than PCs for a number of reasons which make sense to me but might be meaningless to others. And I assume that works the other way around.

There is no one right answer for everybody.

TheRealDopamine said:
PC.

I cant afford to pay twice the price for a machine less powerfull than mine.

True, but I guarantee you that I spend far less time troubleshooting and configuring my system. For instance, if I want to hook a digital camera up to my system, I don't need to install any drivers. Apples are so damn easy to use and configure it's ridiculous. Mind you I'm highly proficient on both platforms, and I choose apple simply because it's so simple.

blue,
what are your reasons for choosing windows over another platform? I'm kinda curious what you look for in an operating system since I know you have a lot of experience in this field and you konw the inner workings of these things.

Drew

My reasons are complex and personal: philosophical, political, religious -- but ultimately practical.

I've been doing multi-track DAW work on a Windows machine since '96, when MS added the multi-channel audio layer to Win95. That's a lot of Cakewalk project files.

And then I've been collecting DirectX effects plug-ins since not long after that... some came with programs, some I DL'd for free (legit)and a few I bought. (The Timeworks 64-bit EQ and compression from the Sonar 2XL pkg are my current toys.)

And now I have a small collection of soft synths, too, though I'm waiting 'til I build my next machine in a few months to really play with them. My old P3-500 is well-oiled but there's only so much heavy lifting a machine of its vintage can do. ;)

[You know, I tried a couple of times just now to address the less tangible and practical aspects of your question... but it's 3 a.m. my time, well, your time, too, and I fear I'm growing a trifle discursive -- perhaps, even, a bit digressive.]

Last edited:
i have worked extensively with Mac Os9.2 and i have to say that it is NOT easy to set up and it is an EXTREME pain in the *** when it comes to getting midi all fine and dandy.

trying to get OMS and freemidi apps to work together in harmony is a headache and a half.

i've heard that OSX has eliminated these problems, only if my school would upgrade =/

Back