• Dont use computers

2 1.33%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac vs PC poll

Thanks

Best of both

Sign in to disable this ad
    My newest edition to the fam:

Mirror drive, Dual 867 MAC G4, superdrive, 1 gig ram, 80 internal, 80 external lacie-for Digidesign 002/Protools LE 5.3.1

PII 400, 256 ram, 40 gig- internet use only & buring cd-r

AMD Athlon 1.4, 516 ram, 80 gig- aiport(networked) to MAC for wav editing and sound development.

Truth to all this madness.........I love em both......but my favorite is the G4.......It's just more stable and its an industry standard!!!!!!! Trust!!!

Thanks
    I have the same mirrored G4(The vacuum cleaner edition), and I love it too. One suggestion though. If your external drive is firewire, it will limit your track count. I had the Glyph M-Project firewire drive made specifically for MOTU software, and I noticed that it cut my track count. I wound up taking it out of the 1U rackmount that it came in and installing it directly to my motherboard. Lo and behold my track count shot up again. Just a word of advice.

Drew

Thanks

humm?

Yup I got the vaccum addition too. Man is it quite...Its like a airplane flying over. But can't complain to much....at least it works. Is there a MAC fix for that? I've heard the rumors but haven't really attempted to fix it cause that is the least of my concerns at this time.

An enternal was a good option for me and I haven't had any problems with track counts. I can use all 32 tracks with a few plugins, but it is intense on my CPU. I only use about 10 trax at a time though. I create mostly Hip Hop or R&B tracks. But when I record vocals, the trax will start to pile up after a while.

I did consider internal but I like the ease of taking the external out and about without worries harming the internal. But $hit happens if your not careful. But as of now, haven't had a reason to take it out of my room yet.

Thanks
    There's actually a firmware update for the mirrored G4s that works really well. Mine hardly makes any noise anymore. As far as track count goes, I usually run about 35 stereo tracks in a song (70 tracks total). I needed the track count.
    Last edited by Fumbling on Ecstasy; 01-03-2003 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks
    PC.

I cant afford to pay twice the price for a machine less powerfull than mine.
    [img]http://www.obscuresounds.com/dopamine/dopamine_sig.jpg[/img]

Thanks
    Now, now. I love my hand-built old Windows jalopy, too. And I'm quick to defend Windows as my choice of platforms when under attack (maybe a little too quick ).

But these things are subjective. Even bang-for-buck is subjective and arguable. I know I'd use a PC even if Apples were cheaper than PCs for a number of reasons which make sense to me but might be meaningless to others. And I assume that works the other way around.

There is no one right answer for everybody.

Thanks
    Originally posted by TheRealDopamine
    PC.

I cant afford to pay twice the price for a machine less powerfull than mine.
    True, but I guarantee you that I spend far less time troubleshooting and configuring my system. For instance, if I want to hook a digital camera up to my system, I don't need to install any drivers. Apples are so damn easy to use and configure it's ridiculous. Mind you I'm highly proficient on both platforms, and I choose apple simply because it's so simple.

Thanks
    blue,
    what are your reasons for choosing windows over another platform? I'm kinda curious what you look for in an operating system since I know you have a lot of experience in this field and you konw the inner workings of these things.

Thanks
    Drew

My reasons are complex and personal: philosophical, political, religious -- but ultimately practical.

I've been doing multi-track DAW work on a Windows machine since '96, when MS added the multi-channel audio layer to Win95. That's a lot of Cakewalk project files.

And then I've been collecting DirectX effects plug-ins since not long after that... some came with programs, some I DL'd for free (legit)and a few I bought. (The Timeworks 64-bit EQ and compression from the Sonar 2XL pkg are my current toys.)

And now I have a small collection of soft synths, too, though I'm waiting 'til I build my next machine in a few months to really play with them. My old P3-500 is well-oiled but there's only so much heavy lifting a machine of its vintage can do.

[You know, I tried a couple of times just now to address the less tangible and practical aspects of your question... but it's 3 a.m. my time, well, your time, too, and I fear I'm growing a trifle discursive -- perhaps, even, a bit digressive.]
    Last edited by theblue1; 01-04-2003 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks
    i have worked extensively with Mac Os9.2 and i have to say that it is NOT easy to set up and it is an EXTREME pain in the *** when it comes to getting midi all fine and dandy.

trying to get OMS and freemidi apps to work together in harmony is a headache and a half.

i've heard that OSX has eliminated these problems, only if my school would upgrade =/

Thread Information