Mac Users Beware: Viruses and Spyware can get you too!!

Red Scare

Article Below
http://www.deletespyware.ws/article_Do_Macs_Get_Viruses_1179231706.html

Do Macs Get Viruses
Written by: Josh
Computer viruses abound on the internet, and can reach any computer user in a variety of ways. Mac users aren’t shielded from viruses and spyware programs, although many people believe that they are more stable and secure systems. However, a Mac’s performance can still be impeded by spyware and adware that has been downloaded without authorization. In general, Mac computers do not have as many viruses as Microsoft Windows, but the potential still exists. There are many ways to protect the Mac computer from threats and damage.

Macintosh operating systems are built with secure operating programs using the Unix kernel. These are known to be much more secure than Windows, and do not open up as many potential threats or risks for the users. Since Microsoft Windows is used by most computer users, they are a stronger target for spyware and malware downloads. Many Windows programs are not as secure and require regular updates and patches. It’s important to remember that firewall protection is a necessary requirement, and there is a larger likelihood of a spyware download with these operating systems.

Many hackers and spyware program writers make use of IBM and Windows software codes to create the viruses and infections themselves. This makes it less likely that they will be replicated on Macintosh computers, and so this makes the Mac virus much less of a threat. Most tools and scripts used to create viruses are simply designed for Microsoft Windows and other windows applications.

The most common flaws in the Macintosh computer include some areas of the security updates, and a patch in the handler registractin code execution vulnerability URI Handler. The best option for reducing the risk of attack on the URI registration flaw is to simply uncheck the ‘Open safe files after downloading option’ and add a protocol helper application for disk and disks; you will also need to change the protocol helper for certain URI handlers, such as ftp, nfs, smb, and ssh. Other weaknesses in the Mac operating system include Word 2004 demo Trojans and the MP3Concept.

Many cross-platform threats can be a threat to Macintosh programs and operating systems. Protecting the health of the Macintosh computer often involves cleaning out browsers on a consistent basis, and installing antivirus protection software specifically for Macs. Norton Internet Security, Virex, Sophos Anti-Virus for Macintosh, and Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh are all popular programs.

Any virus can infect a computer with damaging effects. Viruses and spyware programs have been written to target Mac computers as well, and can spread just as easily. The risk is lower, but the potential is still there if the user opens up threatening or damaging files. The best protection against spyware and viruses is to install an antivirus program and spyware scanning software package. These can help create a valuable shield for any type of operating system, and many are available for Macintosh users as well. Antivirus programs can reduce and even eliminate the risks of spyware threats. Remember that Macintosh computers aren’t immune to virus threats, but they are still less likely to occur.

Last edited:
Nothing can harm the Mack...

1351%7EThe-Mack-Posters.jpg

If the OP was trying undermine Mac purchases...um i'm confused what exactly is the OP trying to accomplish i'd believe all Mac users know that their system isn't immune of viruses all computers execute code even the simplest user knows that this article just solidifies the purchase of a Mac, Who's the dumb a$s that thinks mac's don't get viruses? Crackers seldom write viruses for Mac's programs execute differently on different Mac's so writting a virus for a Mac is also difficult never gotten a virus on mine i also run many different operating systems and they never got virus (e.g. linux) if you get a virus 99% of the time its your fault this virus argument is played out

Artik said:
Crackers seldom write viruses for Mac's programs execute differently on different Mac's so writting a virus for a Mac is also difficult never gotten a virus on mine i also run many different operating systems and they never got virus (e.g. linux) if you get a virus 99% of the time its your fault this virus argument is played out

how you know black people dont write viruses too...... lol jk

Artik said:
If the OP was trying undermine Mac purchases...um i'm confused what exactly is the OP trying to accomplish i'd believe all Mac users know that their system isn't immune of viruses all computers execute code even the simplest user knows that this article just solidifies the purchase of a Mac, Who's the dumb a$s that thinks mac's don't get viruses? Crackers seldom write viruses for Mac's programs execute differently on different Mac's so writting a virus for a Mac is also difficult never gotten a virus on mine i also run many different operating systems and they never got virus (e.g. linux) if you get a virus 99% of the time its your fault this virus argument is played out

Why would I undermind something that I own and use daily?? I have both a PC and a MAC so I have very little biases when it comes to which is better and other dumb, internet forum sh*t that folks discuse on the daily. You would be surprised how many folks into music and music creation dont think that Macs get viruses or a in danger of it. So, I posted up an article about that subject to spread knowledge to the ignorant masses.

-1-

I have had Mac's for over 7 years now and I have NEVER gotten a virus. I know the potential is there, I mean I know its a possibility, but getting Megan Fox to lick my nutsack is also a possibility!

I do think I have a better shot at getting Megan familiar with my scrotebag, than I do of getting a virus on my Mac though!

ONE

kcsherrell@mac.com said:
I have had Mac's for over 7 years now and I have NEVER gotten a virus. I know the potential is there, I mean I know its a possibility, but getting Megan Fox to lick my nutsack is also a possibility!

I do think I have a better shot at getting Megan familiar with my scrotebag, than I do of getting a virus on my Mac though!

ONE

THe greatest post ever on future producers

kcsherrell@mac.com said:

ONE

Just because you use an extreme situation (ie Megan Fox, your nutsack) doesnt change the fact that Macs are not inpenetratable. Naive mac users may be convinced that not backing up your data is fine because they cannot get viruses or malware/spyware..

Artik said:

LOL computer salesmen lie to non-tech saavy customers all the time about it. I was in the store looking for a keyboard for my mac and a salesmen at Microcenter mentioned "no viruses" 3 times to a customer and his daughter when going over the features of an iMac.

another thing, Macs do have security problems once in a while, I know iLife or iWork 09 just dropped not long ago and already has a trojan going around

Last edited:
Yeah, your right ^^^^^^, I do understand that Mac's are not immune completely to getting a virus. Howeverm its been my expereience (Over 7 years on Mac's) that it is a very rare occurrence. I see salesman all the time, Bullsh!ting people about it as well, but I tell people all the time about my experiences with Mac's and I never tell them that Mac's CAN'T get a virus.

People hear what they want to hear and salesman will usually (Not all are dishonest) say whatever it takes to make that sale!

ONE

kcsherrell@mac.com said:

ONE

if u want i can ema1l 50m3 stuff to you th4t m1ght change your mind. actually read this.
http://www.intego.com/news/ism0901.asp

ignorant NOOB!!!:monkey:

LOL ya i guess people dont like my opinion on that subject. SO? You sound stupid by saying macs dont get viruses. All you need is the source code (which is available) and the knowledge to know how to edit it. Programming is elementary where have you been??? as more people use macs, more people will make malicious software for macs os and gui. It would be a waste of time to make trojans for macs because the target is too small. and btw most viruses are made by anti-viral companys. trust me i know.

Finish First said:
LOL ya i guess people dont like my opinion on that subject. SO? You sound stupid by saying macs dont get viruses. All you need is the source code (which is available) and the knowledge to know how to edit it. Programming is elementary where have you been??? as more people use macs, more people will make malicious software for macs os and gui. It would be a waste of time to make trojans for macs because the target is too small. and btw most viruses are made by anti-viral companys. trust me i know.

RE-READ the post! I never said Mac's do not get viruses. I was simpley pointing out that in 7 years I have never gotten one, that is 5 Mac's and many thousands of hours online in that time too! However, I did not say they could not get them, I was making a joke, which you obviously didn't catch? and making a point about the Mac being less likely to be effected by viruses!

Go back and re-read the posts again!

Back