KVM Switch with 1 Soundcard!

quantumphysics

Hey guys, so I'm trying to achieve this setup:

1 Monitor, keyboard, mouse
1 USB Sound card

- PC Tower (for production, no internet)
- Macbook Pro (for DJ'ing, internet)

If I bought a 4 port USB KVM Switch would the soundcard work?
Would I need a specific type of KVM switch?

Anyone tried to achieve a similar setup? Thoughts?

I don't think that this will do what you want it to; a kvm switch is for switching your keyboard, mouse and monitor (Screen) between alternate computers, they are not usually intended to also handle other external usb devices.

they also do not readily supply the power needed to run some usb items that are buss powered

Right, after having a chat with a couple computer stores it appears I'm looking for a KVM Switch with a built in additional USB 2.0 Hub.

I'm gonna have to order one in. They go for about $100 dollars.

I'm wondering though, is it worth it to do this? Or should I just buy a regular KVM switch (for a lot less money) and then manually plug/unplug my soundcard?

Connecting an audio interface directly to the PCI bus is preferable to connecting an audio interface to USB which is then connected to the PCI bus because the additional USB middle man protocol introduces unnecessary issues such as latency.

The main advantage that a tower has over a laptop or all-in-one computer is that you can add PCIe cards and SATA drives.

Last edited:
I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech as they offer a wide range of KVM Switch products that support USB keyboards/mice and USB peripherals as well. They are more into the enterprise level KVM solutions.

Back