Which Interface: Steinberg’s UR22 or Presonus 22VSL / 44VSL?

studio4942

I've been going back and forth debating on which interface to upgrade to. They both talk a good game so I wanted to get some opinions from my fellow producers.

Here’s my current flow-
Currently I have my MPC and synths (Motif ES, EMU Proteus1000, etc) going into a mixer and then sending stereo out from mixer to my DAW (Magix Music Studio 2004 Deluxe on PC) via a Behringer U-Phono UFO202. This limits me severely when I start mixing the final record as the 2 track stereo is locked save for compression, eq, etc. on the whole track.

With the new interface I also want the new more intuitive DAW with sequencing and the ability to add VSTi’s. I haven’t jumped into sequencing with software yet and I want to give it a go. More specifically I want to get that NI Battery 4 joint crankin! I demoed Battery 3 with those Artist Kits that just blew me away. I decided I need to go ahead and get my software sequencing game started as I feel I'm missing out on some killer sounds in the VSTi world. Both interfaces come with DAW software that seem to be fairly decent and upgradable so I've narrowed my choices down to those two. Unless of course you guys have some other suggestions in the prices ranges of the two I mentioned above.

Holla back at ya boy!!!

The funny thing is.... I would recommend Studio One over Cubase, but i'd probably recommend the Steingberg interface over the VSL lmao.

I'm an S1 user. Switched over from Cubase, haven't looked back. The workflow is impressive. It's simple, but elegant, doesn't have bloat, and doesn't lack in power/ability. Anything I could do in Cubase, I can do in S1 for the most part. Cubase has been around forever, since the start of DAWs, so it obviously has every single possible feature a DAW could have. Problem is... I didn't need every single possible DAW a DAW could have... just the good ones.

I hear positive things about the steingberg interfaces, so my first inclination would be to go that route for an interface. I hear Presonus interfaces are good too, but it's not as unamimous.

If I had to pick between the two... i'd honestly probably pick the VSL, since it's syncing up w/ S1, which should be a good setup. It comes w/ Studio One Artist.... so I would probably compare the feature sets of that and Cubase AI6 first. Not sure what capabilities you get in AI6 vs. Artist. But I know you'd have to upgrade S1 Artist before you could use 3rd party VST's, you can only use what S1 gives you.

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

The steinberg is probably the pretty unit of the two however.

I'm afraid to try another Presonus interface. Mine had way to many issues and stuff that were mentioned over and over again. Couldnt even change the latency without it messing up, and uninstalling, re-installing the driver...with like 5 more issues.
Now these days before I purchase I try to stop by the user forums to see how bad the bugs and complaints are instead of relying on reviews.

AudioBox VSL 44

www.steinberg.net • View forum - Steinberg UR Series

Idk I'd probably blindly pick the UR22, because my experience with a Presonus inteface was horrible...however it wasn't the VSL series so my thoughts may not be as valid.

Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 has MIDI in/out, I have it's big brother (18i6) and can not say enough good things about it.

Back