I NEED WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT...

DIGITUS

I love creating music using my computer, but sometimes I gotta tell ya this whole thing gets to be a bit much. I have loads of excellent software such as Acid Pro, Soundforge,Wavelab,Vazmodular,etc... etc... I'm still kinda of new at it and I'm slowly getting better. I just purchased Reason, and I've also just upgraded my soundcard to SoundBlaster Live Platinum. I know it's not a true professionals card, but it will do for now. Next, I have to figure out why My computer only recognizes 128 of RAM when I have three 128 chips (384 RAM) installed. I've read that Windows 98 is preventing me from utilizing all of my RAM. As a result, I'm planning on upgrading to Windows ME because I've read it allows for the extra memory and that it's just better for music applications. After spending the $$$$ on the new soundcard so I could reduce the latency in Reason, I now have to figure out this memory thing and needless to say I'm very sick of this spinning my wheels feeling.

I know there are those of you who can relate and others who may have already been down this burnt out transitor trodden path.

Please share with me your experiences and or desires... lol

wait... i use Win98 and I have 512MB of ram, 2 x 256MB. It works fine.

are you sure yo uplugged them correctly? also go to your BIOS, and "exit and save" sometimes it will check and take in consideration new memory modules this way. What kind of motherboard so you have (chipset, brand etc..)? Some motherboard work only with PC100 some only with PC133 some with old school SIMM, some with DDRAM or something...

if nothing works, call a friend of you who is GOOD in computers. If he can't figure it out, go out and spend 150 dollars on a new motherboard for your CPU.

good luck man.

yeah, I agree with Mano, I've got 256K of RAM in Win98 and it works fine, My friend had 384 in Win98. Check to make sure it's in right and all.

and where did you see that Windows ME is better for audio? I tried Win2k and it gave me 213498472948 problems and errors... so i'm a bit wary about switching now.

-Mike S

YIPPPEEEEE!!!!!!

You guys were right on the money!!! I said a quick prayer and opened up the panel. Next I removed each chipset, and carefully set them aside. Then I put them back in reverse order one at a time, and each time I booted up it acknowledged more memory. Some of them weren't really snapped into place although it felt like they were initially. Anyhow, I'm now running at full capacity.

Thanks a mil... ;)

Back