Hoontech with VIA chipset problems..

C

Chuck

have you heard about troubles with the new Hoontech DSP24 used with VIA chipset ?
Where can we have infos about that ?
thx

Ahoj

Do you have this soundcard from Hoontech?

Do you like it?

Is there technical problems with it?

Take care, see you.

the only problem is with one of the via chipsets its the 686B chips that has problems the 686A is fine

Hoontech DSP 24 + SB Live!...

well..
I installed the DSP24 and noticed some problem.
First I don't hear any sound from the external INPUT 1/2. The dealer told me it's because the VIA chipset...the last 4in1 VIA drivers do not change anything (and it's the 686A chipset).
Secondly I've installed the card alongside a SB Live!
and I've IRQ problem !
the DSP24 mustn't share its IRQ and I don't know how to reserve 2 IRQ for the Live! (it does it itself !)
Does anyone knows how to set IRQs in the BIOS:
-2 for the Live! (among 5,7,9 or 11)
-1 other for the DSP (eg. 10)
- another for my SCSI card

snik

Gone are the days of jumper settinng irq's ... so sad .... snik

DSP24 + Live!

yes jumper setting time for IRQs is gone. We already know that.
Anyway that's it, I've properly set IRQs for the both audio card but I don't hear any sound from the INPUT 1/2 yet, suppose that DSP24 drivers have not been designed/tested for AMD computers...

My personal experience has been that VIA chipsets are more trouble than they are worth.

The most popular chipset in the audio community at the moment is the Intel815 as far as I know.

fitz said:
My personal experience has been that VIA chipsets are more trouble than they are worth.

i've just found out :mad: someone is going to die maybe @ gigabyte or via or maybe the two :mad:

the problem i am getting is that all pci and agp are set to the same irq

IRQ Number Device
9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
9 S3 Inc. Savage4
9 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
9 Creative AudioPCI (ES1370), SB PCI 64/128 (WDM)
9 Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI Controller
9 Realtek RTL8139(A) PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
8 System CMOS/real time clock
13 Numeric data processor
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
6 Standard floppy disk controller
4 Communications Port (COM1)
3 Communications Port (COM2)
14 Primary IDE Channel
15 Secondary IDE Channel

I have now way of over riding the these setting either through win 2000, i am not going to put my new soundcard in unless it has its own irq
Also if the other device have their own specific irq's too

Can you change the IRQs in the bios?

Keep in mind that some devices take up an IRQ but never use it. Which means another device can use the IRQ without a problem. You are probably only using one com port if any at all. You can free up that IRQ.

Another trick people use in IRQ situations is to install PCI cards one at time to allow each card to get it's proper IRQ.

For example:

Let's say you have a SCSI card that can use IRQ 7,8, or 9 and a Firewire card that can only be set to 7. You find yourself unable to free IRQ 7 from the SCSI card and because of this your firewire card is unusable. What you would do is remove both cards and boot up freeing all the IRQs in question. Then power down and put your firewire card in. Boot up and the firewire card will take it's IRQ. Power down and put in your SCSI card. The SCSI card will look for IRQ 7 and see that it is used and will then take the next available IRQ.

This trick was used a lot in the "old days" of hardwired IRQs but is seldom used today since things are so configurable in software.

Maybe it's worth a try though. I know how frustrating it can be to get something working.

Good Luck!

fitz

no the bios is sh*t u can't do f'all with it windows wont left me do thing manually so it looks like a new motherboard for me, i really can't do sh*t with it all the pci slots & agp & usb gets irq 9!!! this is a piss take :mad:

Last edited:
Back