HELP? Fl studio cracking/ CPU overload

Daniel600

Whats up? So I'm having a problem when I have many vsts playing like Nexus, purity etc playing and the audio starts cracking. Its almost impossible to make beats on my computer. its almost impossible to run Izotope Ozone 5 without the cracking, even if I'm just using samples, and no VSTS. Is there any way I can stop this cracking sound? I want to use Nexus and Ozone 5 with no problems. My laptop specs are 3.00 GB of RAM, AMD E-350 Processor 1.60 Ghz, Windows 7. Will a soundcard or audio interface help this probelm? Let me know. Thanks

A souncard may help a little, I take it your using the latest Asio drivers, and youv'e turned off your internet connection. Check out windows task manager to see if there are any processes running in the background, DO NOT end any process unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing, try defragmenting your hard drive. Checkout your latency settings.

Yes, everything is up to date. ASIO4All doesnt help that much though. So a soundcard wouldnt be a solution to my problem? I really want FL Studio to run flawless when im using Izotope Ozone 5, Nexus and other high quality VSTs. Do you think I should get a new computer? I'm willing to spend $800-$1,000 on a new computer, but dont want to if I can find a soundcard that solves the problem.

Yes, everything is up to date. ASIO4All doesnt help that much though. So a soundcard wouldnt be a solution to my problem? I really want FL Studio to run flawless when im using Izotope Ozone 5, Nexus and other high quality VSTs. Do you think I should get a new computer? I'm willing to spend $800-$1,000 on a new computer, but dont want to if I can find a soundcard that solves the problem.

Depending on how severe your problem is, you may find faster processors on the laptop market. Your soundcard will enable you to work at a higher bit rate. The processor in your system isn't that antiquated (for a laptop 2 Cores), changing your work flow may help a little, if you render each channel from midi to wave stems as you go along, it will ease a little on processing. My advice would be if you decide on another computer, buy a desktop, you'll get more processing for your buck, extra ram, so you'll need a 64bit version of windows to utilize above 4gb of RAM, you won't need designated graphics card although an onboard card with hdmi out would be preferencial. If you've got 32bit Vsts like Nexus 2, you can use the J-bridge software which allows 32bit VST's to run in a 64Bit DAW.
Don't get rid of your laptop, you can still create audio stems then transfer them to your main workstation via a portable storage device. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks. I planned on getting a desktop. The cracking is just a major problem to me and i really want to fix it

Any soundcard/ audio interface you would recommend? Im not trying to record. I need it to stop the cracking

Id recommend another computer. A audio interface will help with latency and less crackling but 1.60 ghz and 3 gb of ram is kind of tough I been there before and youd always need to worry how you computer will take to the requirements. Maybe a i5 cpu with 8 gb of ram to have a substantial upgrade. I have a i7-4770k with 12 GB of ram and Ozone still taxes a small bit of of the cpu usage. I never reach a point where there's crackling and slugish perfomance though. Every now and then you may find a cpu hog like uhe diva for example that will give abnormal spikes with certain patches. I blame that on the developers though because your running with todays average specs for pro audio. With the spending budget you mentioned you can find a decent i7 rig just make sure you get a 4th or 5th gen processor.

I've recently purchaced a scarlett 18i20 and I can say good pre's and stable drivers. That can be overkill if your mainly doing beats with plugins and you only need one or two mic inputs.

Last edited:
I've recently purchaced a scarlett 18i20 and I can say good pre's and stable drivers. That can be overkill if your mainly doing beats with plugins and you only need one or two mic inputs.[/QUOTE]

Same ones as the 2i2.

Yep, I'm with THA_REAPER on this - the E-350 simply isn't a very good CPU. While a proper audio interface might help a little, it won't get around the fact that the CPU is weak. Heavy-hitting plugins like Ozone aren't ever gonna run well on this thing.

Feeling you man...
Since I began to produce music 5 years ago I used a MEDION laptop (4GB ram, 2,0 GHZ, really old).
I mean it did work for some tracks..but if it comes to the point to finish a track, my laptop always shuts down every few minutes.
It's not a way to make music to be serious. I just spent around 400-500 € for a new pc plus soundcard.
It arrived yesterday and I just have to wait for the drive to begin. Now it's 3,8 GHZ on a quad-core, 16 gb ram and I chose a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB which is enough I think.
I always tried things to boost my laptop, but now accepted that you have to spend a little to get a basis to work more fluently. I'm really excited to try that new thing out and I think I won't regret it!

So I'd recommend you to get a new pc, it won't fix everything but it will definitely make the workflow more enjoyable and so will your progress be :)

Ight. Thanks for the input. I'm going to buy a new computer within a couple of weeks. Appreciate everyone thats commented

Back