Got cash??? Say hello to the 24 core PC

logic7

old school
Yes... 24 cores... as in, 24 complete processing cores (no Hyperthreading tricks over here!)

http://www.titanuscomputers.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=W3A-SUPER+STATION

To give you an idea of what you can build and for how much, peep game:

Two 2.1GHz 12-Core AMD Opteron 6172 Magny-Cours processors
32GB RAM
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB RAM (yep... 2GB of memory on the video card)
Blue Ray/DVD/CD burner - 10x BD-R, 16x DVD-R, 48X CDR w/LightScribe
M-Audio Audiophile 192 Audio card (yes... They have an M-Audio 192 as an option for your audio needs... In fact, they also offer the Audiophile 2496)
Also has 4 FW ports and Gig Ethernet.

This setup will run you $6,515.99. Just as a point of comparison, the most powerful Mac you can buy, with the same drive number and sizes, best video card they offer, and 32GB of RAM costs over $10K and has only 8 cores.

However

You can also put together a 16 core machine (dual 8 core) at a much more reasonable price of $3,356.99 if you drop down to 8GB of RAM, a standard DVD burner, and a "basic" 1GB Radeon HD 5550.

Last edited:
There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to have a machine that powerful. I'll go even further to say that if you were to buy a machine that powerful, you'll instantly end up on a CIA watch list (no Joke)!

Besides...3x the processor speed of the fastest "consumer" Mac Pro just means it won't have a problem getting those viruses to your hard drives LOL!!!

---------- Post added at 03:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

...Also...the glow around the tower in that pic is not a special effect, those 24 cores get that hot!!!

Helluva machine though!!!

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to have a machine that powerful. I'll go even further to say that if you were to buy a machine that powerful, you'll instantly end up on a CIA watch list (no Joke)!

Besides...3x the processor speed of the fastest "consumer" Mac Pro just means it won't have a problem getting those viruses to your hard drives LOL!!!

---------- Post added at 03:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

...Also...the glow around the tower in that pic is not a special effect, those 24 cores get that hot!!!

Helluva machine though!!!

If you follow any of the PC recommendation threads all over this board, you'll see why I posted this up: The general consensus seems to be that you have to have the absolute fastest, most powerful machine to do anything related to music.

So... I posted one of the most powerful machines you can buy.

Honestly... If I had the money, I'd buy one in a heartbeat and grab a 30" monitor to go with it.

I wouldn't buy it! Not a chance in hell. My reasoning has nothing to do with PC vs Mac, or even anything music related....I simply HATE Microsoft! Long gone are my days of being a paying "beta tester" for those underhanded chumps.

I like having an OS that just works...

Hell, if they had more Linux compatible software I would definitely go that route. For now though...F*ck M$...F*ck them in their greedy F*ckin' a$$es!!!!!

Man as long as people are making music, there will always be excuses for what is "necessary" to make current sounding music....I say go right ahead and make those excuses. Gear lust away.

Man as long as people are making music, there will always be excuses for what is "necessary" to make current sounding music....I say go right ahead and make those excuses. Gear lust away.

Word Fam! I'm still happy working on my late 2006 Macbook! Of course it's upgraded but I still like working on that more than my new Mac.

As long as my system ain't chokin' up....I'm skrait!!:sing:

I'm runnin a 3.4GHz Pentium 4... Not even an LGA775 joint either, naw, it's socket 478.

I'm happy with it, but the computer geek in me wants that 24 core joint.

I wouldn't buy it! Not a chance in hell. My reasoning has nothing to do with PC vs Mac, or even anything music related....I simply HATE Microsoft! Long gone are my days of being a paying "beta tester" for those underhanded chumps.

I like having an OS that just works...

Hell, if they had more Linux compatible software I would definitely go that route. For now though...F*ck M$...F*ck them in their greedy F*ckin' a$$es!!!!!

You could still buy it and install MAC OS on it :D

Last edited:
And I think it's fair to mention that a large chunk of getting a Mac Pro over $10k comes from choosing the ludicrously priced RAM chips from Apple. Even us MacC*nts know not to buy your memory chips from them :D

And I think it's fair to mention that a large chunk of getting a Mac Pro over $10k comes from choosing the ludicrously priced RAM chips from Apple. Even us MacC*nts know not to buy your memory chips from them :D

Ok... I just went over to Apple and reconfigured the machine, The same Mac Pro with only 6GB of RAM (the smallest amount that Apple will let you buy it with) is $6,499.00, That's a mere $16 and change less than the 24 core machine with 32GB of RAM.

So... Even if you're going to add 3rd party RAM, you're STILL gonna come out more expensive than the AMD machine and you STILL have 8 cores to work with vs 24.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Are more cores > a higher clock speed though?

It's not even close to that simple. If it were, my 3.4GHz P4 would smoke everything on the market.

more cores allows for some pretty neat stuff to happen.

In Windows, you can "Set Affinity" on a per-process basis, meaning that you can assign processors/cores to a specific app or background process. Doing so means that you could, say, dedicate an entire core to JUST antivirus. You could then dedicate 2 or 4 to ProTools or whatever DAW you use, open SoundForge or Wavelab and dedicate an entire core to either... A lot of possibilities open up with something like this. You could be rendering CGI at the same time you're composing new music with an FPS game running in a window at the same time with you in "observer" mode all while indexing some huge database you've been playing with and NONE of it will ever experience even a minor performance hiccup because there's plenty of processing power to go around for all of it.

Ok... I just went over to Apple and reconfigured the machine, The same Mac Pro with only 6GB of RAM (the smallest amount that Apple will let you buy it with) is $6,499.00, That's a mere $16 and change less than the 24 core machine with 32GB of RAM.

So... Even if you're going to add 3rd party RAM, you're STILL gonna come out more expensive than the AMD machine and you STILL have 8 cores to work with vs 24.

It's still all fluff though! I don't know anyone that will be making Toy Story 4, Wall.E 2, Mastering a 36 song album, and downloading Pr0n...all at the same time...to even bother buying this.

Oh....and playing CRYSYS maxed out....

---------- Post added at 04:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

With all the stuff that the hardware is capable of....as soon as Windows is introduced into the picture, you're left with a $6500 paperweight!

I really really really HATE M$....just in case it wasn't obvious!

It's still all fluff though! I don't know anyone that will be making Toy Story 4, Wall.E 2, Mastering a 36 song album, and downloading Pr0n...all at the same time...to even bother buying this.

Oh....and playing CRYSYS maxed out....

---------- Post added at 04:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

With all the stuff that the hardware is capable of....as soon as Windows is introduced into the picture, you're left with a $6500 paperweight!

I really really really HATE M$....just in case it wasn't obvious!

Well... I was doing that kind of stuff back in the Windows 95/NT4 days. IBM PC 365 with dual Pentium Pro 200's w/1MB cache each running NT4.0, rendering a picture made with Macromedia Extreme 3D 2 and playing Quakeworld in a window while downloading some random p0rn avi's...

all at the same time.

And your M$ hate is still unjustified. What have they done so wrong?

I mean... Look at it like this:

When Apple introduced OSX, they forced EVERYONE that was still running Power Macs to either buy a whole new machine or forget ever using OSX.

When Microsoft introduced XP, no one had to give up anything. XP is designed to run on a minimum of a Pentium 233MMX in 64MB of RAM. Obviously, a faster processor and more RAM is desireable, but having run XP on a P2-300 laptop with 192MB of RAM, I can say from experience that XP is quite usable on an old machine.

When OSX first appeared, it couldn't even play a DVD
When XP first appeared, this was not a problem.

Both OSX and XP were crash prone when they were first released. M$ got XP under control with SP1, it took Apple until 10.3 to get it happening. 10.3, btw, is the point where Beige G3 owners got the boot; you had to buy a new machine or you couldn't have Panther.

With the two latest versions of Windows (Vista and 7), owners of a 1GHz Pentium 3 are at the low end of acceptability for the OS (however, there's examples of Vista running on machines as slow as 500MHz with 256-512MB of RAM with Aero enabled floating about). Mac owners, however, were not so lucky. G4/G5 owners have no other alternative when it comes to Snow Leopard; they have to buy a new machine or they cannot upgrade.

Think about that for a moment...

My oldest daughter has a Dell Optiplex GX200, released in Q3 of 1999. It's running a 1GHz P3 with 1GB of RAM (the most you can install in this particular machine). Nearly 11 years later, I can run the latest Microsoft OS on it without a problem AND, for me to get Aero happening will take nothing more than a $55 investment in a new Radeon HD 2400 video card!

Meanwhile, if I still had my old B&W G3, or my Quicksilver G4 I'm a$$ out when it comes to OSX. I cannot install Snow Leopard... EVER. Hell, I can only go as far as Tiger on my old G3 and the Quicksilver BARELY meets the Leopard checks.

Say what you want, but when you buy PC, you buy longevity.

Very good post. But his point about paying to be a Beta tester is 100% accurate. As I have told people before, my undergrad was Comp Sci, and I interned at Bridgestone and Microsoft. I know for a fact they send out things knowing they have bugs. Not "Oh, well I know people will find something to gripe about," but "Well, we are at 92%, and we have delayed shipping this shit twice. It's going, and we will deal with it on the next fix." The 92% may have changed, but the point is the same. I am talking like Windows 3.1 (I am that old!), but the leopard hasn't changed it's spots. That's how they roll.

But the info logic7 gave was a great comparison.

(I still look at them all as advanced calculators, though. Just get what you can to do what you want. haha)

Very good post. But his point about paying to be a Beta tester is 100% accurate. As I have told people before, my undergrad was Comp Sci, and I interned at Bridgestone and Microsoft. I know for a fact they send out things knowing they have bugs. Not "Oh, well I know people will find something to gripe about," but "Well, we are at 92%, and we have delayed shipping this shit twice. It's going, and we will deal with it on the next fix." The 92% may have changed, but the point is the same. I am talking like Windows 3.1 (I am that old!), but the leopard hasn't changed it's spots. That's how they roll.

But the info logic7 gave was a great comparison.

(I still look at them all as advanced calculators, though. Just get what you can to do what you want. haha)

Apple does no different. For them to have shipped their latest, greatest OS out the door without either DVD playback functionality or CD burning capabilities just SCREAMS "THIS IS A BETA". The complaint list and sheer number of bugs in Cheetah says that OSX was simply not complete when it shipped. You could cause a kernel panic in Cheetah by staring at the screen too hard!!! (I'm exaggerating, but it really was that bad).

All software companies ship buggy code these days because, thanks to the internet, patching after-the-fact has become the norm. It's not like when I was younger, if software went out with bugs, you didn't get repeat customers. It HAD to be tight 'cause there was no way to get patches out other than on floppy disk (at a huge cost to the company).

Logic...I wholeheartedly agree with you as far as the release of new OS's not being stable, BUT come on man!! Complaining about not being able to use an OS that was designed for completely new architecture??? Understandable. Micro$uck has known for years that all of their OS's are prone to viruses, malware/spyware, hackers, RANDOM crashes. They charge too much extra money for programs that should be included when you buy their OS, i.e. Word, Excell, Power Point...

The "kicker" though...you have to purchase anti-virus software that actually attracts viruses. When I was using Windows(XP), I actually didn't stop getting viruses until I stopped using anti-virus software?!?!?!?!

The price of upgrading a Mac vs a PC is also a factor(OS wise). Mac wins this one hands down!!!

Now for your defense of Microsoft....

For the love of God, please explain Vista!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to have a machine that powerful.

Same could be said of half the machines FPers own.

I just got the "most powerful" 21.5 iMac on the market right now(according to the Best Buy salesman...I won't vouch for him, he wanted my money). Went from a P4 to this. Faster at certain things, but overall, not very impressive for what I do. Probably because all my software was compatable and well in the requirements of my P4.

Big Reason Patches load a lil faster...but big deal, now I wait 2 seconds instead of 5.

Let's be honest though deRaNged....a imac is nothing more than a laptop with a gorgeous screen( I'll admit that).

The point is that it out-classes any other all-in-one solution, hands down. If you want to compare a Windows desktop to a Mac desktop....well you know where this is going.

@Logic...you made some very valid points, but it still comes down to preference and I prefer Mac. It works well with any DAW you throw at it...right out of the box.

more cores allows for some pretty neat stuff to happen.

True but I have rarely needed this on my studio computer. I don't even run anti-virus (it isn't connected to the internet). I've researched cores and clock speeds before and I found multiple cores would be great for what you are suggesting. But in reality how many times are you going to be making a beat and then think (hold on, i'll just alt-tab to this game I was playing before). I was a little frustrated with my last upgrade because I found my new system didn't perform at a much higher level than my old.

When software companies catch up and make use of them it will be incredible though. I think I'd be more excited about a more efficient cache than more cores.

True but I have rarely needed this on my studio computer. I don't even run anti-virus (it isn't connected to the internet). I've researched cores and clock speeds before and I found multiple cores would be great for what you are suggesting. But in reality how many times are you going to be making a beat and then think (hold on, i'll just alt-tab to this game I was playing before). I was a little frustrated with my last upgrade because I found my new system didn't perform at a much higher level than my old.

When software companies catch up and make use of them it will be incredible though. I think I'd be more excited about a more efficient cache than more cores.

Um... That's EXACTLY what I do all the time.

Typical for me when I'm sitting in front of my machine:

Opera with 10-15 tabs open
Firefox w/NoScript and usually no more than 2 tabs open
Starseige Tribes or Unreal Tournament in a window in Observer mode
FL Studio 7 or 9
SoundForge 8
Either Photoshop 6 or The Gimp 2.6.x with several images from the day's random pic snapping
CygwinX session pointed at my Linux or FreeBSD server.
Media Player 10 either paused or actively playing music.

And I've been this way since the days of Win95b. I've always been one to keep waaaaay too much shit open at once. Years ago, I got around the drag on CPU resources by using dual processor machines running NT4.0, then later Win2000.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Let's be honest though deRaNged....a imac is nothing more than a laptop with a gorgeous screen( I'll admit that).

The point is that it out-classes any other all-in-one solution, hands down. If you want to compare a Windows desktop to a Mac desktop....well you know where this is going.

@Logic...you made some very valid points, but it still comes down to preference and I prefer Mac. It works well with any DAW you throw at it...right out of the box.

So does a PC loaded with XP.

I just reinstalled XP a few weeks ago. Once it was up and running, all I had to do was install drivers for my Audiophile, Cubase SX3, FL Studio, ProTools 7.3, and Sound Forge and I could have started right off the bat recording. No tweaking of XP (there was never a real need for it on P4-class machines), no disabling of services or switching anything.

Just install and go. It just works.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Logic...I wholeheartedly agree with you as far as the release of new OS's not being stable, BUT come on man!! Complaining about not being able to use an OS that was designed for completely new architecture??? Understandable. Micro$uck has known for years that all of their OS's are prone to viruses, malware/spyware, hackers, RANDOM crashes. They charge too much extra money for programs that should be included when you buy their OS, i.e. Word, Excell, Power Point...

The "kicker" though...you have to purchase anti-virus software that actually attracts viruses. When I was using Windows(XP), I actually didn't stop getting viruses until I stopped using anti-virus software?!?!?!?!

The price of upgrading a Mac vs a PC is also a factor(OS wise). Mac wins this one hands down!!!

Now for your defense of Microsoft....

For the love of God, please explain Vista!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited for spelling

Bold/Red part: OSX was NOT designed for a new architechture. Through trickery, you CAN install OSX up to 10.2 on a PowerPC 604 based Mac (like my old 9600/300), but you'll never get support for it from Apple. Apple says "If you want OSX, and support from us, then you MUST buy a new Mac".

The rest:

I'm curious... Exactly what productivity suite is included with OSX??? Since you seem to believe that Microsoft should include one and that theirs is too expensive (ignoring the fact that Microsoft Works is only $39), obviously Apple doesn't require you to buy one with their OS... Right???

You also don't have to purchase AV, the best stuff is FREE. And... even Apple has stated a number of times that Mac owners need to buy AV too (matter of fact, they've been saying it since OS9 back in 2002!!!)

Viruses??? Yep, M$ products have them... But so do Unix OS'es. Right now, there's Mac OSX-only botnets out there that are growing larger by the hour because Mac owners still don't believe they're in any danger. OSX owners represent a growing threat to the rest of the net because they hold this notion that viruses and trojans are a Windows problem, even after having been told otherwise for the better part of the last decade.

And Vista??? Nothing more than what happened with the initial OSX release: An OS that was rushed out the door because M$ believed they needed to get something new into consumers hands, completely ignoring the fact that XP was a solid, stable OS that everyone liked a lot. Same for OSX: They rushed 10.0 out the door because Apple believed that Mac users wanted something new -right now-, ignoring the fact that OS9.x.x was stable and users were quite happy with it.

Back