Gear to Fatten up sound ?

kcsherrell@mac.com

Resident Beatsmith
For lack of a better term (Long day) I need something to help "fatten" up my sound. I have seen people using different rack mounted gear from SSL and others to aid in achieving that crunchy fat sound. Again, I know that Fat and Crunchy are overused and hard to define, but I am not sure how else to phrase the question?

I just wondered if any of you have tried using different pre's or other hardware for this, say as an in between from my MPC 2500 or Motif to Logic. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated, I am not too versed in this realm, obviously!

Thanks!

PEACE

I read on undergroundhiphop dot com from this kid LROCKZ who always has great advice. He suggests using conversion. SO go out of your DAW into a 2 channel converter like an Apogee Rosetta 200, out of the Apogee and into a 2 channel analog preamp like the Neve 1073, out of the Neve and back into the Apogee and back to DAW. He claims incredible results. That's about all I know. Sounds like a great way to add some good analog without dirtying things up too much, because of the clean Apogee conversion. I'm not prepared to spend that kind of loot at this time but it would be cool to add some kind of conversion to bounce my DAW tracks to.

Back