Choosing the right soundcard

T

Tribal

I am building a computer solely for music production, and need some advice on what soundcard to get. So far it is a p3 1000, with 256m ram.
I mostly use Fruity3, Cool Edit, Cubase5, and some outboard gear. I like the idea of running fx plugins on the soundcard, instead of using processor power. I got about 4-500(US) to spend.

Any Suggestions?

Do these cards have built in effects, if so, are they good?, what is their sound quality like?The price is definately right!, Thanks for the reply.

:)

I could list all the great features this card has but I would say just go check it out at soundblaster.com or creative.com it will tell you everyting. It is really producer friendly. It even has a front interface so you'll need to have an open cdrom slot.

HikidB

no offense but leave the soundblaster alone its a games card that doesn't offer the quality needed for a home studio, if u have $500 go for a hoontech

I am currently using the Audiophile 2496 from M-Audio. I a great, versatile card and it's cheap (I bought mine for $200 from Mars Music). However, if you want to use an onboard synthesizer, the Yamaha SW1000XG can't be beat. It's an incredible card with a powerful built-in synthesizer. It's recommended by every magazine, internet site, and professional I know. I'd get one but I'm a poor college student. I use a Thunderbird 1 ghz and a lot of the same software you listed. Good luck finding a card that suits you!

soundcards

hi im currently using a SBlive platinum and although they are nice cards , basically they're not bad fx are okish and quality isnt too bad, tho the latency can be a bit dodgy, ive found you will NEED an ASIO/ASIO2 compatble card if your doing anything studio based i have been recommended the midiman 10/10 whereever i go allthough this card is UK £550, which is quite pricey, if you want a card with no ASIO but good FX go for the yamaha SW1000XG.
hope this helps
DjD.N.A.uk:cool:

Back