Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Choosing a Laptop for Music Making

Thanks

Mac Pro the way to go

Sign in to disable this ad
    I was a die-hard PC only user until about 2 or 3 years ago when I purchased my first macbook of craigslist for $600. I bought the 13" unibody model with I think somewhere around 2.2 Ghz Dual core, 2gb of RAM. Slapped some more RAM in it (it honestly doesn't have to be Apple brand), sold it, bought a 15" macbook pro off ebay with a broken DVD drive. bought a DVD drive for it for 20 bucks, then resold it for 300 dollars more. Did the same thing one more time, ended up with enough money to buy a 2011 model (i7 2.2 w/ 16gb RAM) off ebay used in pretty much brand new condition. The great thing about Macs is that they maintain their resale value even years down the line. And as for music production, everything is streamlined soooo much better than on Windows; Example, the built in audio card supports multi-channel output and has almost zero latency when recording, and when using MIDI, all the instruments are found immediately without driver hassel, there are no 3rd party (asio) drivers needed at all, it supports almost all the VSTs I used in windows, and if I ever want to use windows I have it installed on a second partition (not only good for music, but games too ). I've gone through about 3 PC laptops over the course of a few years making producing on them a nightmare since I didn't know if my computer would die on me and I'd lose all my projects, but I can be as rough as I want to on this thing and it doesn't slow down at all.
    Plus its just so damn sexy

tl;dr
    traded on internet for years towards current-model macbook pro, got it, love it for music production. Never going back to PC.

Thanks
    Hi,try at internet I think on internet you can find best results as you can easily by internet music.
    you must get information here about playpens

Thanks
    i bought a acer with i3(2x2.3ghz) 6 gb of ram and intel hd graphics 3000 and its awsome performance are ate 5.5 run similar to my desktop computer with 3.2 amd quad core 1gb ati readon 4670 hd 6 gb ddr3 that run 5.9 buy a laptop these day you have something really awsome especially if you have i5 or i7 in it
    Last edited by anaujiram; 09-29-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks
    Both the links are very informative thanks for sharing. Well, over the last few years some manufactures produced quality product for laptops and related application and it have even made specialized models specifically for music production.

Thanks
    As a former PC technician, Here's my take. If you're going to be getting paid for your music services. Get a Mac! It's not that a Mac is all that, but both the Hardware and the software have been designed for multimedia/audio use. The Myth about Macs not breaking down as much? IT'S TRUE!!! When I had a PC Laptop, I realized I had to work a lot harder to get things to work (drivers, hardware conflict, firewire, etc). It was always something and I found myself tweaking my PC laptop more than making beats. When I got a Mac, that all changed. Many times I did not even have to install drivers! My hardware worked better and the drivers worked better!

So, if you intend on making money...get a Mac.

If you're just messing around with beats for fun, then I would get a PC Laptop because they are A LOT cheaper and you don't have anything at risk.

simple as that.
    [SOUNDCLOUD]

Thanks
    I agree wit u..bro

---------- Post added at 01:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

Word! Uve said it all. Nice 1 smoove Mode

Thanks
    When my old laptop took a dump, I went all out and got another PC laptop. MSI gaming laptop, i7, 8gbram, noreflect screen, THX sound system. Cost the same as a mac. Does exactly what i needed to do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacco Stern View Post
    When my old laptop took a dump, I went all out and got another PC laptop. MSI gaming laptop, i7, 8gbram, noreflect screen, THX sound system. Cost the same as a mac. Does exactly what i needed to do.
    I found that an equally equipped Windows Laptop cost a lot less than a Mac. I have to admit, Recently I have thought about trying out a Windows Laptop since my primary DAW's native environment is Windows, but ported for Mac. Saving $1000.00 and getting the same amount of power is tempting. Hopefully all the bugs windows had over the years has been reduced.
    [SOUNDCLOUD]

Thanks
    This will help me a lot, thanks

Thanks
    Mac! Go refurbished and add a warranty if on a budget.

Thread Information