Build your own custom DAW: A tutorial by AE

Great thread AE. I'm gonna be buildin a PC in the next few months and this is def helpful to steer me in the right direction.

I did have one question though, what does 'overclock' mean?

Its where you tell something like a processor for example that was made to run a 2.4ghz and tell it to run at 3.0ghz. It can be done well but usually without proper COOLING (very important if your overclocking) can damage the goods. So before you do it for any thing on your pc just make sure you have good cooling in there...Its a great way to save money to.

Oh ok i get it, thanks.

Yo Obi did you ever add me on AIM? I just remembered you were gonna hit me up.

Is there any difference in stability between internal and external hdds?

Cuz i would rather run off an ex. hdd so i can easily plug it into different comps and always have my files with me. But is that less stable than having an internal? Stability is more important for me.

I've lost a lot of data on external Hard drives over the last 2 years. Using the drives specifically for my laptop and data transfer.
Peace
S II

man i just built my comp....
asus mother board $55
dual core e8400 $100
audiophile soundcard $100
case $30
psu 450w $20
dvd rw- aleady had
17" monitor $130
win xp $100
60 gb sata hd $65
2 gigs of memory $20
added cost for future
new video card for dual monitors
new monitor
and a tb harddrive

alls i got so far is:
software:
magix(not the full version) i wish
sample tank 2.5
cakewalk studio instruments
big fish vi

ohhh yeah if you have a microcenter near you go on and check them out before the month is out because it's build your own computer month so everything is basically on sale...

Last edited by a moderator:
this is very informative man. thanks fo the info.. im gonna definately try sum of these products

I built a pc in 08', i would suggest anyone new to this to have atleast 3-6 pc building videos to use as a reference. I dont think I will ever go back to a name brand pc and the same would go for a laptop if i could find away to build one. Hey could someone post a thread about overclocking specifically for music production. I couldnt find anything gear towards us. Great thread

Last edited:
A had somebody who made a PC for me like a year ago.
I was looking for parts but he told me a lot of parts i picked where kinda overpriced since you wouldnt need it.
He just overclocked my PC and it made my PC a hell lot of faster.

I still need to get a good soundcard till this day though.
When i play my sequence in FL it starts stuttering.
He told me it was probably cause of the poor soundcard i had in it since he told me the PC was real fast and we tested and it worked just fine.

op forgot to tell you that you can't pick just any case, you have to make sure you pick a case that fits your mobo or else you gonna have too small of a case.

regular mobos are fitform ATX

mATX are half the sizes of atx boards

atx and matx can fit into an atx case

matx can ONLY fit into an matx case

I built a pc in 08', i would suggest anyone new to this to have atleast 3-6 pc building videos to use as a reference. I dont think I will ever go back to a name brand pc and the same would go for a laptop if i could find away to build one. Hey could someone post a thread about overclocking specifically for music production. I couldnt find anything gear towards us. Great thread

over clocking for music production would consist of making the os the lightest you can (less background processes),
oc'ing your cpu, memory, gpu. Audio cards cant really be oc'd for the most part, its just drivers in and outs, and make sure the bare minimum on your programs is the bare minimum.

and i believe thats the most you could do because the music production programs run off of the computer so you oc the pc you oc you production program.

if you have xp or vista, just google in how to make (xp/vista) faster. and there are TONS of sites that will tell you what to do.

Just giving you guys some ideas...
I build that "HTPC" for my living room to watch movies/listen to music/satellite DVB-S
But its still a good system for music production.

Advantages: Consumes only 50-60W (saves you money on your electrical bill), lightweight and compact, enough processing power. Built in graphics card.

The whole thing costs only ~ 420$

Additional stuff (not everyone needs those)
- Keyboard Mouse (30$)
- OS (Xp,Vista or 7 ~100$)
- Professional soundcard (~100$)

You can always use your mouse/keyboard, OS and soundcard from your old PC.

Here are some pictures:

1000414.jpg

1000418v.jpg

Last edited:
Its probably about time to update this thread, I'd like to volunteer to help out, anybody else want to contribute?

Its probably about time to update this thread, I'd like to volunteer to help out, anybody else want to contribute?

as soon as I nail down what my next PC will be, I'll add to it. My old machine just died a few days ago (bad caps on the motherboard).

that seems like a great idea.

imo, this thread contains some advice that is not necessarily 'best' for audio production, and does not note that that is the case.

you should not OC a daw, unless you HAVE to.
and by that i mean actual overclocking on the cpu and ram.

you dont need anything even close to some of the graphics cards recommended here.

you are better off putting money into a faster processor, and high quality ram.

this thread seems like general pc build advice, without the particulars of audio production addressed so much.

that said, for a workhorse DAW, i personally value a bulldozer type over a ferrari type....

:cheers:

I agree that my thread needs an update but thanks to people like highpoo I don't feel like wasting my time on this forum. Some people are just ignorant and don't wanna appreciate shyt.

highpoo said:
imo, this thread contains some advice that is not necessarily 'best' for audio production, and does not note that that is the case.

highpoo said:
this thread seems like general pc build advice, without the particulars of audio production addressed so much.

Well go make your own ****in thread and try to make it better. Your not contributing anything good to this thread besides HATING.

Im done...

Last edited:
Back