Basic Question Here...

DIGITUS

A friend of mine is really into this computer music scene. She has had her computer since last may, and has never reformatted her hard disk. Now it's acting very strangely, and I've told her that it's time to wipe the slate, reformat, and start from scratch. I reformat my computer about every 6 months to keep everything running smoothly. Whenever I reformat, I use the ez install floppy that came with my Western Digital Hard drive. It's quick and simple. However, this procedure didn't work on her computer, and the Windows 98 book was of no help. It only explained how to reinstall Windows 98.

My question is: What is the procedure for reformatting your hard drive? I basically need to know what to type at the DOS Prompts up to the point where the Windows Floppy can take over.

Sincerely... Computer Blue... :(

[Edited by DIGITUS on 03-14-2001 at 12:51 AM]

right make one win98 start up disk

go control panel/add remove programs goto window setup it should be there make start up disk (this can be done under any win 98 PC)

right start PC go to bios and make sure the disks boots up in this sequence A/CD-ROM/C you'll find it some where

ok save turn off start again with the start up disk in

when it boots up you should have A:\ type fdisk then enter then you have to format the drive as FAT32 partion ok

once done you can install windows

when you get to A:\ type D: or E: whatever the CD-ROM is and E:\setup and it should install

Back