Atari 1040 ST

DigitalKillaz

Hello Everybody,

I've just removed an Atari 1040 ST from my parents loft...

I bought it about 15 years ago but never got round to using it. It has screen and mouse and a disc labelled steinberg... it's boxed and apart from a small ciggerette burn and a strange faded colour in fairly good condition for its age...

I knocked the dust off and put it all together and it works fine as far as I can tell... I didnt spend long with it but I get a desktop and when I put the steinberg disc in it provides some files to choose from...

It's no good to me... I thought I might sell it and buy a jetski or invest in property or something...

Can anybody tell me what its worth and the best place to shift it? I'm in the UK...

Do I need to run some commands on it or something to make sure its ok?

Is there any demand for Atari's? Maybe gamers would be more interested?

Thanks...

I've just checked e-bay international sites and there does not seem to be a market for them - the best price was in Italy for a machine with a range of games and joysticks and other paraphernalia 259 euros plus postage.

I use an Atari ST in my studio because I still use a fair amount of hardware and it's MIDI timing kicks ass compared to modern computers. The MIDI ports on the Atari are an integral part of a very streamlined system which makes it closer to a hardware sequencer such as an MPC than it does to a modern computer, yet it still has a very efficient graphical user interface like a modern computer.....mind you I do from time to time instinctively try to use a nonexistent scroll wheel on my Atari mouse. The other thing I use it for is transferring samples to and from my Akai S950 via floppy disk, the Atari floppy drive can read and write both Akai and PC floppy disks, and while there are actually sample editors for the Atari that will work it's best not to engage the audio playback functions on an ST like you can on a Falcon or when using such programs in an ST emulator running on a modern machine. You should probably check out http://www.atarimusic.net/ There is still a market for these machines in relation to both MIDI and Chiptune music, everyone else is into retro games and shit like that. Over the past year I have seen a definite decline in the amount of Atari's popping up for auction, so the price will probably go up a little bit.

Last edited:
ok thanks for all the input everybody... yeah ebay prices seem to range from £10 to £100... i'm quite busy so don't want to mess around with couriers etc so it would be a case of buyer collects... but for £10 hardly worth answering the door... maybe i'll hang on to it and if i come across somebody who will use it, just let them have it, or maybe if I wait another 15 years it might actually be worth something...

I just need to work out how to sneak it back into my parents loft...

I'd definitely wait 15-20 years.

Also... there's people who auction off antique items to rich people. I'd try to find someone who does this locally in your area for a living... perhaps they can sell it to someone who doesn't know they can get it off ebay for 100 pounds.

It was a sad day for me when my Atari 520ST finally gave up the ghost (I had a 1040 too at one point, but sold it 'cause I needed money). The 520 had the typical problem: Bad EPROM sockets for the OS. I got most of the way replacing the sockets when I scratched the shit out of the board traces trying to remove one socket. Gave up trying to fix it after about a month of trying. I was already dabbling with using a PC for sequencing and ended up moving over to it full time.

You should see the memory expansion in my Atari ST which was done by the same guy that now does the devilfish mods for the TB-303, it's some real ship in a bottle type shit in terms of intricacy.

Back