Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone know of a good laptop that has good specs?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Well thats just not true at all

Thanks
    well my laptop is an i3 it's just the HDD is said to be failing...I could get a new HDD and have it installed. Or if it's easy to install I'd do it..

Thanks
    I'd recommend runnin chkdsk first to see if that's the case, if no sectors get fixed or if it acts up even if no bad sectors found then you might want to either install windows to an external drive or replace the current one if it is allowed by the company hou bought it from.

Thanks
    Replacing a harddisk is not that hard. You do have to have a bit of know how on 'what next'. Those you can obtain through some reading , maybe a youtube.

The story that an i7 laptop cpu is the same as an i3 desktop cpu, is partly true, if you stay in the same model number. You can buy a higher model number.
    3dmark-png

Usually, replacing a HD is allowed under warrantee, differs per company. That it is allowed by some shows you how easy it should be.
    If you're gonna let it be done by your reseller, check the pricing on their harddisks. Compare it to what you can find on the net. Sometimes it saves a lot of money.
    Also, I'd advice on an SSD. They're not that expensive anymore.
    I usually pick a HD from the leaderbord of StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews . Pick a HD for what I need it for. SSD for OS and program running, 7200 rpm (less battery) or hybrid for data storage (might even be worth considering a green or blue disk). Could also go with an external disk for data storage.
    Last edited by B Side Producer; 02-16-2015 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks
    It's been about 4 years when I bought the laptop so I doubt any warranty applies here. where do I buy this HDD? Newegg? TigerDirect? Microcenter? etc.?
    Last edited by prodeucer; 02-17-2015 at 02:41 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by prodeucer View Post
    It's been about 4 years when I bought the laptop so I doubt any warranty applies here. where do I buy this HDD? Newegg? TigerDirect? Microcenter? etc.?
    Among others.

Did you go through what KonKossKang suggested to see if it really is broken?

If your laptop can handle the higher speed (Sata III connection), the Samsung Evo would be such an improvement on loading times, write times.
    Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com
    Then you could get an external disk for data storage. Or , if you have more then one slot for HDs in your laptop, you can get an internal as well.
    7200 rpm is faster then 5400 rpm but it takes more battery power.

Just check out the hds from storagereview , pick one, see what it costs on different sites.
    Last edited by B Side Producer; 02-17-2015 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks
    How do I run this? Do I press F12 upon startup then type that chkdsk?

Quote Originally Posted by KonKossKang View Post
    I'd recommend runnin chkdsk first to see if that's the case, if no sectors get fixed or if it acts up even if no bad sectors found then you might want to either install windows to an external drive or replace the current one if it is allowed by the company hou bought it from.

Thanks
    OK if I find it to be a hassle to fix my HDD, could I leave it as is and buy an SDD instead and carry on rather than buying a new laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by B Side Producer View Post
    Replacing a harddisk is not that hard. You do have to have a bit of know how on 'what next'. Those you can obtain through some reading , maybe a youtube.

The story that an i7 laptop cpu is the same as an i3 desktop cpu, is partly true, if you stay in the same model number. You can buy a higher model number.
    3dmark-png

Usually, replacing a HD is allowed under warrantee, differs per company. That it is allowed by some shows you how easy it should be.
    If you're gonna let it be done by your reseller, check the pricing on their harddisks. Compare it to what you can find on the net. Sometimes it saves a lot of money.
    Also, I'd advice on an SSD. They're not that expensive anymore.
    I usually pick a HD from the leaderbord of StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews . Pick a HD for what I need it for. SSD for OS and program running, 7200 rpm (less battery) or hybrid for data storage (might even be worth considering a green or blue disk). Could also go with an external disk for data storage.

Thanks
    No not yet. I shall get to it when I figure it out.

How do I determine if my laptop can handle higher speed?

If I decided not to fix my internal HDD, can I still use this laptop and just buy an external HDD? of course the warning sign would keep popping up reminding me of a failing disk.

Quote Originally Posted by B Side Producer View Post
    Among others.

Did you go through what KonKossKang suggested to see if it really is broken?

If your laptop can handle the higher speed (Sata III connection), the Samsung Evo would be such an improvement on loading times, write times.
    Then you could get an external disk for data storage. Or , if you have more then one slot for HDs in your laptop, you can get an internal as well.
    7200 rpm is faster then 5400 rpm but it takes more battery power.

Just check out the hds from storagereview , pick one, see what it costs on different sites.

Thanks
    Right now my laptop use is for general purposes but I'd like to get creative with music production and music video production as well. Regarding music videos, it's nothing too over the top just some software or animation based music video production. If it's such a hassle to open up my laptop and replace my defective HDD, could I just buy a new external HDD or SDD? Below are the specs of my laptop:

HP ProBook 4520s XT989UT Notebook PC - Intel Core i3-380M 2.53GHz, 2GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6" Display, Windows 7 Professional 32-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Paschalis I. View Post
    I suppose since you're here that you need a laptop that can handle processing power for music production?

Sorry for telling this but you'll waste your money ... Better get a desktop to do your job, it's well worth the investment
    Last edited by prodeucer; 02-19-2015 at 02:39 AM.

Thread Information