anyone know of a good laptop that has good specs?

also would air dusting the laptop help a bit in clearing out any possible dust? I've never use the air duster ever...

I'm not too fond of those but if you want to use that then I guess it'd be a good idea since you wouldn't need to be grounded to clean it like that.

I don't even have much junk in my laptop so why would it be the RAM? Of the 2 GB of RAM my laptop has I still have 1.86 GB usable RAM.

Was my apartment heat too high at 80 degrees? It was cold outside after all. Would having my phone plugged via USB to tether and charge my phone be the problem as well?

chkdsk is a powershell/cmd command. I woudln't overclock mobile devices as they do not have the space for it. I would recommend setclocking it by going to power options and selecting high performance at most. that laptop isnt even bad to begin with, an i3...
dude i think your ram is the problem. integrated processors benefit a lot from system memory.3gb of ram can slow down apus while dedicated isn't affected nearly as much. if you can upgrade ram, try it. your processor is good enough

Last edited:
What determines these hard drives for sale to be compatible with my laptop, are they all universal just different storage space or what? What do you call or where do you buy those tools that open up a laptop or any electronic device?

I ran f10 BIOS Setup/System Diagnostic and these are the results:

SMART Check: FAILED

Hard Disk Test: FAILED

Everything is PASSED

Among others.

Did you go through what KonKossKang suggested to see if it really is broken?

If your laptop can handle the higher speed (Sata III connection), the Samsung Evo would be such an improvement on loading times, write times.
Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com
Then you could get an external disk for data storage. Or , if you have more then one slot for HDs in your laptop, you can get an internal as well.
7200 rpm is faster then 5400 rpm but it takes more battery power.

Just check out the hds from storagereview , pick one, see what it costs on different sites.

Last edited:
2gb is fine for android and ios, not so much windows unless you plan on using windows like android and ios.
If you use 4gb or below, 64bit is gonna have issues. 32bit will work better until you get above 4gb.
If the company has replacement harddrives then yes replace it.
Devices made for ease of use will be harder to repair yourself since everything varies and depending on what the company allows you to touch, whether or not the parts are soldered etc.

So it'd be best to get a warranty next time. The phone is not the issue.

I used to have laptops like lenovo and toshiba/asus but couldn't handle all that so I went my dad's route and gone over to desktops.

Last edited:
in general is the laptop below have good specs:

ASUS A55A-AH31 15.6-Inch LED Laptop (Black)(2.4 GHz Core i3-3110M,4 GB,750 GB,Windows 8)

Last edited:
Yep. And if you only care about using the mouse then you won't need an audio interface at all.
Although...headphones is still necessary.

Yep. And if you only care about using the mouse then you won't need an audio interface at all.
I'm assuming you know what an audio interface actually does; and that I don't actually have to point out that it'll take a huge amount of pressure off the OP's processor as well as allowing audio in and out of his setup....

(my snide comment is better than your snide comment)

I'm #teamdesktop I guess, lol. My old Core 2 Duo iMac(late 2009) can outperform a cheap i5 laptop with more ram(I'm maxed at 16GB)! If I was to invest $700 in a PC desktop right now, it won't be inferior for a decade. It will outlast 2 "NextGen" gaming systems at the rate they're going.

If you don't plan on using a midi device the latency not gonna matter though. I get that they take the load off the soundcard in windows but besides a difference in audio quality not much else would matter unless he specifically intends to use a midi device though.

At first he was askin for the cheapest setup, which is why I said all that :/

usb ones work with windows. I have a usb one, tried it on vista to 10.
Not xp, cannot tell :/ But from vista to 10 an average one should work.

Optical drives with usb usually can be hooked up to anything that supports them. Usb bluray/dvd/cd whatever, it has the same stuff, just usb.

As for the laptop, it's decent in the spec department and is just fine for light stuff/moderate stuff with an interface.
Actually hold up, interface regardless. Better the interface, less latency/more things can happen at once no issues.

I see. So CPU speed, amount of cores, and ram memory is what I should focus on?

I've been looking for a desktop since I think it's more powerful than a laptop for the price and feature so I was looking at some on Tiger Direct and saw that some of the specs far exceeds what the minimum requirement is to run an audio interface. In my case it's the newly released Presonus Studio 2/4. Now if you look at the link below, these desktops are like under $100 refurbished so I'm curious if that's something you'd opt for? I would only be using it for music solely. Is it good enough or should I step up to over $100 but under $200? Or could I get something better if I were to custom build a PC? I'd probably even want something that can work with videography as well, which will require a graphics card.Desktop Computers Refurbished Condition at TigerDirect.com

Right off the bat.. You're gonna get really frustrated at some point if you decide to go with a laptop for under 300$. There are many variables that make up a good computer.. For music production some of the key elements are processing power (cpu speed, amount of cores) and ram memory. Probably the thing you want to look out for the most if you're just trying to get your hands on a decent laptop or any other computer is that it doesn't ship with a several hundred dollar graphics card which you could have spent elsewhere where it matters more (since its virtually useless if you're not going to work with graphic heavy applicstions) .

It's been about 3 years and I see the price changes. I didn't even know such a powerful desktop cost less than a mediocre laptop (like the one I had).

keep in mind, laptops are less powerful to keeps costs down and safety reasons.
an i7 for a laptop is as good as a desktop i3 and so on because of this.
That will most likely change 3 years from now, but certainly not yet.

Laptops have to be in order to keep the battery life at a decent amount also.

Laptop cpus are on par with workstations. their pricetage should be around a 270$ minimum difference in this decade.
I would say 390$ desktop = 600$ laptop.

usb ones work with windows. I have a usb one, tried it on vista to 10.
Not xp, cannot tell :/ but from vista to 10 an average one should work.

Optical drives with usb usually can be hooked up to anything that supports them. Usb bluray/dvd/cd whatever, it has the same stuff, just usb.
Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

As for the laptop, it's decent in the spec department and is just fine for light stuff/moderate stuff with an interface.
Actually hold up, interface regardless. Better the interface, less latency/more things can happen at once no issues.
for usb and bluray do not think what does not support

Last edited:
Back