Any way to be able to handle multiple VST's?

Villainaire

I use a laptop from '06 with 2GB DDRRam, and intel duo core processors. It has 160GB of Memory. I have TONS of plugins, and I'm worried about things getting slow as I load multiple instances of plugins into FL Studio 9. If I were to dish out the cash for a "Super Computer" that could handle multiple plugins, what would I need. my budget is $2500 and this is a desktop were talking about. Someone help create the perfect system for running FL Studio smoothly with tons of plugins.

Thanks

I'm no computer whiz.. but i've been researching the exact same thing.

a quad core processor (maybe 2.3ghz or better), w/ about 4GIG of ram should suffice. With your budget, you could absolutely go nuts. Get a solid quad core processor, ample ram (maybe 6-8GB.. the more the better), make sure you have a 64bit operating system so you can actually use all of the ram like XP in 64bit version, and you could probably get a 10000rpm hard drive to do with it.

you could also shoot me a few dollars if ya want ;-)

I don't know what you guys are using, but my single core 2.66ghz with 4gb ram and a 512mb video card had no issue running tons of vstis at once.

If anything, I'd suggest you focus more on the processor and go with 4gb ram on a 32bit system so you can still use all your plug ins(alot aren't 64bit compatable).

I'm lost to wy a dual core from 06' can't keep up with current music unless it's like a 1.4ghz processor.

Anything above 2.6ghz dual core or 1.8ghz quad with 4gb of ram should run any ammount of instances of any vsti you throw at it. Other members can confirm or debate, but I'm confused to why you'd need anything more for audio apps for a long time.

You might check out http://www.buyxg.com. You can customize what you want, or just get a bare-bones setup and add components at your leisure.

With 2500 to spend you can get yourself a monster. You might look at saving some of that dough for other things like monitors, a good soundcard, or a good audio interface...

There's also http://www.newegg.com for components, they got some competitive prices.

You should let us know what you decide on so we can be mad and jealous...

with prices right now u could build a monster for like 1500.....

You wont run into any major problems when you handle single instances of VST's. I have 2 gig ram and use FL and can have open up to 15 instances of Sampletank and other vst's with no problem. Dual core works pretty well for that. No need at all to spend loads of money on a new computer, as long as you have 2-4 gis of ram and a dual core or quad, you should be perfectly fine.

My recommendation would be to get a quad with at least 4 gig ram and you will be set. I've been doing fine with a intel dual core with a 500 gig Hard drive, and that only set me back about $1050 including sound card and and monitor.

You can get a killer system and some new apps with your budget

I don't know what you guys are using, but my single core 2.66ghz with 4gb ram and a 512mb video card had no issue running tons of vstis at once.

If anything, I'd suggest you focus more on the processor and go with 4gb ram on a 32bit system so you can still use all your plug ins(alot aren't 64bit compatable).

I'm lost to wy a dual core from 06' can't keep up with current music unless it's like a 1.4ghz processor.

Anything above 2.6ghz dual core or 1.8ghz quad with 4gb of ram should run any ammount of instances of any vsti you throw at it. Other members can confirm or debate, but I'm confused to why you'd need anything more for audio apps for a long time.

i just think to take advantage of 64 bit apps like kontakt 4, specstrasonic stuff (new breed vsti) you need a powerful machine. yes, if you are running sampletank, hypersonic and other vsti that are becoming alittle long in the tooth a single/double core will do. on my P4 3.4 with 2 GB of ram i am able to run battery, trilogy, lounge lizard, B4 II, sampletank and hypersonic (template) wth out any problems. the problem comes in with these new breed vsti...

these new apps/ new breed vsti are built for powerful machines...

plus, in the PC world these powerful machines are pretty cheap compared to buying a powerful machine 5 years ago...

last point, with these powerful machine there is no freezing of the track or adjusting the buffer size of the audio card or worries about how much processing power is left to complete the track.

in other words system resources are not an issue...

My laptop has never frozen when I load the plugins, but some plugins take between 5 and 10 seconds to load, and those seem to be the longest seconds of my life. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm always EXPECTING everything to freeze up. I've come to the realization that I only make beats at my crib with my MIDI controller, so having this laptop for music is kinda pointless. I might as well upgrade to my "Dream Machine".

I appreciate all the helpful advice thus far.

i just think to take advantage of 64 bit apps like kontakt 4, specstrasonic stuff (new breed vsti) you need a powerful machine. yes, if you are running sampletank, hypersonic and other vsti that are becoming alittle long in the tooth a single/double core will do. on my P4 3.4 with 2 GB of ram i am able to run battery, trilogy, lounge lizard, B4 II, sampletank and hypersonic (template) wth out any problems. the problem comes in with these new breed vsti...

these new apps/ new breed vsti are built for powerful machines...

plus, in the PC world these powerful machines are pretty cheap compared to buying a powerful machine 5 years ago...

last point, with these powerful machine there is no freezing of the track or adjusting the buffer size of the audio card or worries about how much processing power is left to complete the track.

in other words system resources are not an issue...

In all fairness, I've used Reason the last couple years. I'm familiar with the NI plugs, anything bundled with Pro Tools, FL or Sonar, Hypersonic, and Eastwest Symphonic Gold. I didn't think things had jumped that far, but could be wrong.

^Reason is so great when it comes to CPU resources.
I only have a 2.0GHZ single core, w/ 2 GIG ram. Before that, I had a 1/4GHZ w/ 1GIG of RAM... and I coudl easily run about 16 instruments, w/ 2-3 effects per instrument before Reason started getting slow.

I use a laptop from '06 with 2GB DDRRam, and intel duo core processors. It has 160GB of Memory. I have TONS of plugins, and I'm worried about things getting slow as I load multiple instances of plugins into FL Studio 9. If I were to dish out the cash for a "Super Computer" that could handle multiple plugins, what would I need. my budget is $2500 and this is a desktop were talking about. Someone help create the perfect system for running FL Studio smoothly with tons of plugins.

Thanks

if you need a very fast laptop, you can look into 15 inch quadcore laptops that have recently come out. Dell and HP offer them for just under $1000. If you prefer a desktop, I suggest that you build one or pay someone to. that way you can customize it to what you need and you can just put a single version license of XP or Windows 7 on for like 130 bucks. I built a PC using parts from microcenter.com. I see your budget is $2500. you can easily build a Core i7 or Core i5 PC for well under $800 that should handle practically anything you throw at it thats out on the market VST wise. If you are using Kontakt, I would spring for 8 GB of RAM. I have Komplete myself so I can vouch that the more RAM/HD you have, the better Kontakt performs (I have 4 GB of ram). you can also check out New Egg/Tiger Direct for barebones/preinstalled system deals. for that budget you got, you can build a core i7 box and still have plenty of cash for a quadcore laptop in case you gotta make music on the go...

Back