AMD or Intel for music production.

In the end, there are vast differences from cpu to cpu even within the same company and same model brand.

The question should be "which can run an audio app to full potential?" The answer would be anything current, lol.

Even with the i5/965 comparison, sure the i5 can run some 30-50 more instances of processing effects, but why care when on runs 120 fx and the other runs 170? When will either ever be pushed to those limits(not accurate calculated numbers, just making a point)?

But still... what specifically about the i5 makes it outperform an AMD 965 despite the AMD technically having better specs? Anybody know? lol i'd really like to know.

^^^No idea, won't pretend to know. As I said before. Every processor is different. Even within the same company something that looks better on paper can be outperformed by another model.

So many things can compromise a test also(mobo being a big issue), drivers and other hardware installed, ect.

But as I said before, who cares? We're arguing over a ferrari and lamborghini like either is "slow", and like alot won't be left to the guy in the drivers seat, lol.

I have £200 to build a pc for Xmas and wanted to buy an i5 but can't afford it as yet, have already waited a year. Am currently using an old pentium 4. Do you recommend that I buy a quad core AMD, ASUS motherboard and ram package from Dabs for £157, with hitachi 1tb hard drive 7200rpm from ebuyer £55. Or should I wait another year to afford the i5? My pentium 4 wouldn't let me play my songs to mix them when using effects, do you think the AMD is worth getting? I just want it to run up to 20 tracks of audio with effects and using drum sample software. Any help much appreciated. Many Thanks

my amd quad core 1.8ghz in a loptop just burn while making music so now i have intel i3 2.3 ghz dual core and its fine.

so everything that intel made better then i3 is appropraited for making music amd may be good for gaming but for music intel rules!!

Thanks for your reply, so an i3 would probably be a better than the AMD, I know it also depends on hard drive speed and how much ram etc.... Thought there must be a reason why none of the pro audio builders use AMD. I could purchase an i3 bundle for same price as AMD quad bundle, then presumably upgrade to an i5 when I can afford it, (they will probably be cheaper by then) so that might be the best move. Would have to check motherboards spec. Thanks again.

The crazy thing is that this argument can change within a matter of months... even days to be honest.

Intel still > AMD yes... but AMD has recently released the FX Vishera chip that is capable of hanging with the i7. Benchmarks are showing it's a solid choice, and outperforming in some cases for audio. Crazy.

As of right now... I'd get a nice AMD before I grabbed an i3. Id grab an i5 before I grabbed a mid-range AMD. I'd still get an i7 over an AMD FX, but the new FX would make me take a closer look... it would come down to what my budget looked like.

AMD's made it a more difficult choice again. Last year... they were getting smoked. Looks like they're catching up. Intel is still generally recommended though if u want the best performance.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

But still... what specifically about the i5 makes it outperform an AMD 965 despite the AMD technically having better specs? Anybody know? lol i'd really like to know.

To answer my own question.... since i've learned a lot about computers since then.... the architecture is what makes the difference. it's all about architecture.

Thanks for the advice am now thinking I will get an i5, a good one is approx £80 dearer than the i3 I was looking at, but I am sure it will be much better, will just have to save up a bit more. The new AMD sounds interesting though. Would like to understand more about it all, but have already been called a nerd twice today!! Can't wait to get the new pc built and record some more music. : )

I have £200 to build a pc for Xmas and wanted to buy an i5 but can't afford it as yet, have already waited a year. Am currently using an old pentium 4. Do you recommend that I buy a quad core AMD, ASUS motherboard and ram package from Dabs for £157, with hitachi 1tb hard drive 7200rpm from ebuyer £55. Or should I wait another year to afford the i5? My pentium 4 wouldn't let me play my songs to mix them when using effects, do you think the AMD is worth getting? I just want it to run up to 20 tracks of audio with effects and using drum sample software. Any help much appreciated. Many Thanks
lol, more than fine

i run up to 50 track mixes easily in logic with a dual core mac and 8gb ram

Just to put into a final perspective.. I have an AMD Phenom II 955.... it's quad core 3.2ghz. I have it overclocked to 3.8ghz... i can feel that difference. had 4 GB of ram, then 8gb, and now i'm maxed at 16gb. SSD drive.... but I used to run everything on 1 7200rpm 500GB hard drive.

The AMD allows me to do anything i need to to be honest. For any one track... I don't usually max it out. I start to max out the CPU when my projects start getting very large.. IE.. 50 tracks of audio, each with a few effects on it.... still running 5-6 VST instruments with effects on em... 3 amplitubes running, and some pitch correction stuff. At this point... my computer starts to glitch up. But I don't usually NEED all of this stuff. I could bounce tracks and be just fine.

the i5's should handle the process i said a lot better. it should be cakewalk to an i7. it should be cakewalk to the new top of the line AMD's as well... and the newer AMD's w/ better specs should handle it well.

The best thing is to google "CPU Passmark" and enter the chip you're looking at. It will tell you the performance score based on thousands of tests from users around the world, and will help you compare performance so there's not much surprise. Then... u can really choose the best one for your budget.

Lenovo H520s 57311365 Desktop PC - 3rd Gen. Intel Core i5-3330 3.0GHz, 6GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 8 64-bit at TigerDirect.com

Kind of scared of Windows 8, though. Hate learning new shit from what I usually use but the price is right for now. Tire of my core 2 duo computer. Stepping my game up to a faster cheap computer. lmao! I spent $200 the last time. Time to double up. Build me a muscle computer next year though.

Now.......I could get me MOX6. It will hold me til I build me a muscle computer. Saves on CPU. No need for virtual instruments or I just use what vsti I want and let the MOX6 compliment....vice versa. Put sounds on a usb drive and run them on the MOX6......like drums and samples or whatever. Midi controller....flock of birds, one stone. Win, win!!!!

Decisions...............dammit!!!!!! I hate decisions. lol!

Last edited:
The Lenovo Pc looks cheaper than what you can get in the UK. I hate decisions also, but the help I've had from this forum has given me the answers to my questions from people's actual experience and I now know what to buy.

The mac sounds great, but I know little about them, so better stick with pc for now.

Will get a SSD later on, starting out with a 7200rpm drive. Been put off AMD by a very bad Athlon pc I had a few years back, which is probably stupid, as they do sound impressive now!!

Checked out the CPU pass mark for my proposed i5 and it is the best performing one you can get, so that is very handy to know, the top i7's are quite a bit better, but I think the i5 will be adequate for what I need. : )

I don't think it matters much, there are many more aspects that will have more to do with the work throughput then AMD vs intel of a processor.

The best thing is to google "CPU Passmark" and enter the chip you're looking at. It will tell you the performance score based on thousands of tests from users around the world, and will help you compare performance so there's not much surprise. Then... u can really choose the best one for your budget.

The student has become the master. Lol.

-Ki
Salem Beats

P.S. My overclocked computer scores 16,415 on Passmark. :D Quite a bit faster than the 1,507 I was working with in my laptop...

Back