AMD® Athlon™ XP 2800 VS. Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor, 2.53GHz

A

AL KILLA

Whas's poping ya'll?
I'm about to buy a PC for my studio and I'm having hard time to choose. Don't want spend too much money. Here's my options:

$719.99

Processor Class: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (Compaq)
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Cache Size: 512 KB
Memory Speed: PC2100 (266Mhz)
Installed Memory: 512 MB
Memory Slots Total: 2
Memory Slots Available: 1
Hard Drive Capacity: 120 GB
Sound Support: Digital Audio (16-bit)
Video Chipset: Intel® Extreme Graphics
Video Integration: Motherboard
Shared Video RAM (Max): 64 MB
Connectors: Six Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (two front, four rear)

OR

$599.99
Processor Class: AMD® Athlon™ XP with QuantiSpeed™ Architecture (HP)
Processor Speed: 2.08 GHz
Bus Speed: 333 MHz
Cache Size: 512 KB
Memory Speed: PC2700 (333MHz)
Installed Memory: 512 MB
Hard Drive Capacity: 120 GB
Sound Support: 6 Channel Configurable Audio
Video Chipset: NVIDIA® GeForce4 MX
Video Integration: Motherboard
Shared Video RAM (Max): 64 MB
Port Connectors: 6 USB 2.0
1 serial
1 parallel
2 PS/2
2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) ports
1 Video - VGA monitor
1 Audio - Headphone
2 Audio - Microphone
1 Audio - Line Out
2 Audio - Line In

I'm going to connect Rode NT1 and Emu MP7 to Behringer Eurorack UB2222FX -PRO MIXER to M-Audio Audiosport Quattro MIDI/USB Interface (with zero-latency direct monitoring) to PC. Somebody told me that I don't need a soundcard to connect M-Audio MIDI/USB interface with that mixer. Is that true? If not, then tell me what i better buy and how it'll work. I have no idea how it all works. Be free to suggest me any other setup with under $1200. And what software would you suggest me to use probably under $350?

All replies will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

That "poppin" you hear would be the barton cpu bursting in flames.
Go with the P4.
when your buying a PC, invest in company that you know and confide in. Granted, INTC cpu's are a little more expensive, but all the R&D and failure analsysis, product testing, and Q&R makes Intel cpus worth it. Invest in it...just for the engineering ingenuity put forth in the P4 architecture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help.

Now who can answer my other questions?

Where'r ya'll at?

I'm going to connect Rode NT1 and Emu MP7 to Behringer Eurorack UB2222FX -PRO MIXER to M-Audio Audiosport Quattro MIDI/USB Interface (with zero-latency direct monitoring) to PC. Somebody told me that I don't need a soundcard to connect M-Audio MIDI/USB interface with that mixer. Is that true? If not, then tell me what i better buy and how it'll work. I have no idea how it all works. Be free to suggest me any other setup with under $1200. And what software would you suggest me to use probably under $350?

I want to do this as well so if anyone finds out about this that would be really benifical.

What I am looking for is to go from a Rode NT1 or NT2 mic into a Behringer Mixer and then after that I was thinking of going into the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 card? Does this seem to be the best way to do it?

Peace
AVA.

Aviary Disaster: please dont post something that is so similar to your thread starter here as it could lead to 2 threads talking about the exact same thing.

Thanks

No question, go for the Athlon. I personally have never "confided" in my cpu, but I trust Athlon processors without a doubt. If by a tiny chance you run into problems with your cpu, as long as you don't overclock, or something else that you shouldn't be doing in the first place, it will be covered by warranty. Use the extra money to put towards a good monitor or something else. Nobody can flat out say that Intel is better than AMD, or vice versa, that is simply ignorant, I'm sure you'll be satisfied either way, but in one case you'll save yourself some money.

cheers

AMD for Sure

Go with AMD!!!!!!!!!!

Any one who says INTEL are better chips have no Idea!!!

Infact AMD have better chips...INTEL have just been around longer and have greater market penetration, spend more on advertising and thus have more expensive product...Infact the first P4 chips were such dud's that a PIII actually out performed them. This is another case of marketing and pushing a product that is not ready to go to market simply to promote user Upgrading which the computer relies on heavily.

Why is it that AMD's run at a slower clockspeed and are able to compete with a Faster INTEL even though they have less cache on board?????...Because they have better instruction sets, and a better R&D department who are dedicated to provididing high performance chips...

Infact a number of High profile companies are going with AMD over INTEL including SONY, Sun Microsystems, and IBM. Even Steinberg Cubase developers have signed an exclusive development deal with AMD for testing and development/

As far as Bus Speeds go, INTEL has the edge there. However, Unless you are and extreemly high end user you are never going to use all that bandwith. And your PCI audio card is only going to use 66mhz of bandwith and your Hard Disk is rarely going to be able to get up to these high speeds. If anything when considering an Audio workstation, Hard Disks are the Bottle Neck and getting expensive SATA or RAID and a good expensive disk with a AMD system is a wiser investment than simply choosing what looks better on paper....Spend the extra cash you save on a expensive Motherboard (ASUS, or Abit) and a bigger LCD monitor or something.....You won't regret it....!!!!!!

Peace,

stutttteeerrrr...

My first setup was on an AMD Athalon (when Athalon's were new, although). It was so screwy, that I ended up having to start all over with a new Intel PC. I never had any problems with the Intel, and when that one was no longer adequate, I upgraded to a newer Intel. Once again never a problem. I don't know how the Athalon motherboard chipsets handle audio now (that was the problem, not the CPU itself), but as they say "once bitten, twice shy". There is much more to the audio equation than CPU & buss speed benchmarks. If your system is not perfectly stable under low latency settings, you will be cursing the day you bought it.

Having said that, I have heard lots of people say that their Athalon rigs are stable. My advise is to research the audio interface you will be using, and check the M-Audio site for FAQ's and the forums for user experience with that interface & the motherboard on the PC you plan on getting. The CPU is only one of the issues to think about. Most problems are encountered with motherboard/audio interface incompatability.

I haven't seen people talk about the motherboard's chipset yet... This is far more important. There's absolutly nothing wrong with the new Athlon's... Not even the burning CPU problem anymore...

If you go with a Pentium or Athlon and want to do audio... be sure your motherbord uses anything other than a VIA chipset... VIA is great for MS Office, Games etc. etc.

This chipset controls the dataflows between your memory, CPU and your soundcard.... So if something goes wrong here... well.... :cry:

I'm told Nvidea chipsets are superb with Athlons! The ASUS A7N8X mobo should be great...

Good luck!

OHW...and get a MOBO with as less crap on it as possible... especially do NOT get one with onboard video!! This kills your soundcard datastream!!

Last edited:
I have an Athlon 2200, w/256M of memory. When I was mastering my CD, it crashed on me quite a bit. I don't know if it is because I have an Athlon, or what. It would especially crash when I was using the spectrum analyzers, or something like that. My monitor would go out first, but the music would still be playing. Then the music would stop and I'd just get a buzz. When I turned the computer back on, it would have an error message regarding the video card...... That was irritating, but I can't say that an Intel wouldn't have done the same. It's the nature of computers to crash.

Ikemurda said:
I have an Athlon 2200, w/256M of memory. When I was mastering my CD, it crashed on me quite a bit. I don't know if it is because I have an Athlon, or what. It would especially crash when I was using the spectrum analyzers, or something like that. My monitor would go out first, but the music would still be playing. Then the music would stop and I'd just get a buzz. When I turned the computer back on, it would have an error message regarding the video card...... That was irritating, but I can't say that an Intel wouldn't have done the same. It's the nature of computers to crash.

what soundcard u have?

i have totally no problem with that

AMD for sure:o

AMD is faster for CUBASE (others i don't know)

intel have some CPU spike problem with some plugins.

more expensive

and the spec u typed out
the intel is not good for games or eveny 2D application, since it's onboard video device.

just have to make sure that the soundcard you going to use is compatible with Nforce2 chipset.:bat:

Last edited:
The CPU, it doesn't matter. People say Intel is good, people say AMD is good. For all you know they're all probably manufactured at the same factory in Malaysia or something. I know from a service background though, don't buy Compaq.

Did I say don't buy Compaq. Let me say it again, don't buy Compaq. HP and Compaq are one company, and those good vibes have still not rubbed off on Compaq products yet.

Yeah, Don't buy a generic brand PC

They skimp on quality to delivery you a cheaper PC..

They may be fine for Music but if the Video is on-board or On-board sound you may get pissed when you find you cannot disable it....Or when it craps out after 2 years and you cannot fix it or replace the motherboard because it 'aint designed to be fixed by you and only with generic parts.....

Some good reasons...

Get your PC manufacturer to put one together with the parts you want

Get the best Memory you can, the best motherboard you can afford....Don't by the fastest CPU thats a waste of Cash...Get the next model down....get a couple of good big hard drives...

Most of the time it's because of the drivers and software that computers crash...Everybody blames MS windows but it's mostly the crappy drivers manufacturers of hardware program that makes the computers hang...

But okay we can have lloooooonnngggg discussions about this :)

DEFINITELY go for the athlon...the memory is faster than the P4....but replace the graphics card if u want to do anything like play games and stuff....i have a GeForce MX and they suck...anyway goodluck:bat:

my first pc set up is a p4 2.4 with 1024 gig ram and 60 gig seagate hd. I am assembling a amd pc for my next set up.... hop that answer your question

alright, i work for a MAJOR electronics retail store (and i work in Computers, and im a computer science major), not gonna name which one, cuz then, people start flamming :p
anyways, i would definatlely go Athlon, dont worry bout overclocking, cuz in an hp the feature in the bios that allows you to change the multiplier and front side bus is locked anyways. but, the nforce 2 chipset is going to be far superior to the one on the intel computer, the graphics card is a lot better, but i believe that hp now integrates it, but the Nvidia graphics are gonna be a lot higher quality than the crappy intel graphics, the amd computer has better memory too, pc 2700 vs 2100, and the firewire is pretty cool if u eventually wanna get into video. even tho the p4 is does have a higher clock speed, and thus doing more clock cycles per second, the amd is doing more applications per clock cycle (9vs6 i believe, sorry, its been a while since i had to remember), and this makes it a more EFFICIENT processer. There aint nothin wrong with some good old overclockin ;) my athlon xp is 1.47ghz stock, runnin at 1.9 ghz with absolutly no problems, u just gotta know what ur doing, have the right fans, and good thermal grease. i have friends who have overclocked thier machines from 1.47 to 2.4, with no problems. yeah, sorry, got a little off the topic there, but go Athlon :D

doodlers, It has nothin to do with amd vs intel.

It has to do with the motherboard they are connected to. If you buy those shiatty package deals from compaq or hp, they bundle an awesome processor with a bad motherboard--its like puttin a porshce engine into a pontiac sunbird. Dude, eventually things are gonna fck up. Dont be fooled, just cause you have a good processor doesnt mean you have a good computer.

A good computer consists of the whole package. Like memory-tested and matched, Additional cooling fans, good motherboard fan!, a quality video card, good hard drive. just to name a few things. YES THERE ARE more than one brand in all these categories, not just amd vs intel. Essentially all the components take the load off of your processor enabling it to run more effecient! So treat your computer like snoop dog would his cadilac, PIMP the shiat out with good components.

And dont buy your dub caps from walmart

peace.

btw. Just cause your computer freezes does not mean it was the processor, more likely your memory, especially when you are runnin all sorts of plugins associated with music programs

And i would go with amd, its not over priced-and beware thier model numbers dont match thier processing speed! the xp 2500 is your best buy! its actually faster than the 2800

Last edited by a moderator:
Back