1 TB hard drive

TheAnartist

Executive Member
Ok i have a question. I just saw the tetrabytw hard drive for sale in best buy. Is that really necessary? What is out ther that would possiby need that much memory? Sure alot of people have huge sample libraries and instrument banks..... but what is the point? I have a massive amount of samples and instruments for reason.... i dont come near that size. seems pointless to me. im sure this whole post is too to most of u... but i just wanted to make a point. iight? pce
The Anartist

For pro studios and video guys, a TB isn't too much space. Even my project backups span several TB drives -- And I'm usually only working on stereo mixes.

A lot of studios I work with have several banks of (perhaps dozens of) removable 1/2TB drives that go in and out like library books.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ As he mentoined it's also lucrative for the entertainment (video) guys, with 100's of TV shows america has, whole seasons of those 30 - 60 min shows take up some space. It's kinda the new trend. You can watch full episodes on mtv.com vh1.com abc.go.com etc. and download them from there for free. If you missed one episode of a brandnew show you can buy it from iTunes for $2 in high quality etc.

Apple has the iPod videos with 80 and 160 GB space, you can watch those videos on the road or plug it to your TV watch it at home and chill.

One 30 min episode in good quality takes up 300 - 500 MB space, so 1 TB is actually humble if you like to watch many TV Shows.

rocsta said:
^ As he mentoined it's also lucrative for the entertainment (video) guys, with 100's of TV shows america has, whole seasons of those 30 - 60 min shows take up some space. It's kinda the new trend. You can watch full episodes on mtv.com vh1.com abc.go.com etc. and download them from there for free. If you missed one episode of a brandnew show you can buy it from iTunes for $2 in high quality etc.

Apple has the iPod videos with 80 and 160 GB space, you can watch those videos on the road or plug it to your TV watch it at home and chill.

One 30 min episode in good quality takes up 300 - 500 MB space, so 1 TB is actually humble if you like to watch many TV Shows.

If those shows are encoded as mpeg-1 for Video CD, they can be fairly high quality AND take up less space. I encode my old anime and kung-fu VHS tapes all the time and using the VCD standard, I come up with just over 200MB for a 30 minute file. High quality Divx encoding takes up even less space AND can be at full NTSC resolution with stereo audio.

Even still... 1TB is complete overkill. With dual-layer DVD's holding over 8GB's of data, you can fit an entire season of any TV show onto 1 DVD, thus negating the percieved "need" for 1TB of space.

Uncompressed HD video and animation is ridiculous. Video editors and 3d animators eat up hard drive space like it's going out of style. I've seen large Illustrator and vector files that take up GBs of space, my ex did 1 illustration for a cartoon network DVD cover that was like 4gb alone.

We did a large poster for a client at work and the file was 75gb. Uncompressed RAW format photos can be over 1gb in size depending on the resolution. Full film resolution matte paintings can be pretty extreme in file sizes also.

Small companies can use them as network attached storage, graphics libraries and animation clips, motion capture data, etc etc etc.

I have 1.3 TB of space on my main box here. 2 150gb 10k RPM drives, 1 for vista, 1 for xp. Then 1 500gb drive for media, and one to back up important files. This way I can keep my fast smaller drives clean and move projects to them locally for performance, and have a good bit of space for backups and storage. I also keep redundant copies on dvds and cds. You can never be too careful in backing up your files. I lost 6 years worth of artwork and animation once, it almost ruined my life. I will not allow that to happen again.

Last edited:
Even still... 1TB is complete overkill. With dual-layer DVD's holding over 8GB's of data, you can fit an entire season of any TV show onto 1 DVD, thus negating the percieved "need" for 1TB of space.
Maybe so - But for the companies that produce and edit those videos, TB's are just normal real estate. Print designers also. I recall years ago when a printing shop I deal with purchased a TB drive -- It took up much of a small room - And they needed to get another shortly after that (which was around 1/10th the size at that point). Web hosts -- Good gawd -- they need space.

What do people get with HotMail accounts now -- 100MB? With 10's (or 100's) of millions of active accounts, that's going to take up giant chunks of space. MySpace's server farm? Probably hundreds of TB's at this point and growing every day.

Maybe not for the average home user - But for industrial and commercial use, TB drives are the new GB drives. I still remember my first audio computer with it's gigantic 1.6GB hard drive... And for several thousand dollars more, we could add another several GB.

Now you need several GB just for your operating system...

MimikOctopus said:
Uncompressed HD video and animation is ridiculous. Video editors and 3d animators eat up hard drive space like it's going out of style. I've seen large Illustrator and vector files that take up GBs of space, my ex did 1 illustration for a cartoon network DVD cover that was like 4gb alone.

We did a large poster for a client at work and the file was 75gb. Uncompressed RAW format photos can be over 1gb in size depending on the resolution. Full film resolution matte paintings can be pretty extreme in file sizes also.

Small companies can use them as network attached storage, graphics libraries and animation clips, motion capture data, etc etc etc.

This is all very true. Sometimes when I do video captures, I do it uncompressed at full NTSC resolution with a stereo 44.1KHz/16bit audio stream. It eats up about 40GB per 30 minutes. I then have to take that drive over to another machine to do the editing and compression to get it down to VCD format or I'll leave it at full resolution and just do Divx or Xvid compression.

Back in '97, I used to do CGI animation for a little startup childrens game company. Game levels were taking up 500MB of space as TIFF files and I turned in GB's of animation files. So professionals have a definite need for this kind of space, but the average moe doesn't.

logic7 said:
This is all very true. Sometimes when I do video captures, I do it uncompressed at full NTSC resolution with a stereo 44.1KHz/16bit audio stream. It eats up about 40GB per 30 minutes. I then have to take that drive over to another machine to do the editing and compression to get it down to VCD format or I'll leave it at full resolution and just do Divx or Xvid compression.

Back in '97, I used to do CGI animation for a little startup childrens game company. Game levels were taking up 500MB of space as TIFF files and I turned in GB's of animation files. So professionals have a definite need for this kind of space, but the average moe doesn't.

Well it really depends on the application. Some people load their entire DVD collection to a hard disk for a home theater PC. And high definition content is going to be the standard soon. It's still expensive now, but soon 1080 progressive scan HD will be what regular 720x486 NTSC is now. TB drives won't seem that big when you have 25gb movie files. That's the capacity of a single blu ray disc (I don't know what of that space an actual movie takes up though). Also people demand more and more content from their entertainment, interactivity etc.

And some people are pack rats. I worked with a guy that filled a 250gb hard drive with movies and TV shows a MONTH. He had a room full of computers that were just old P4s and such with 4 or more hard drives.

I get the point though, most people won't use that much space, but it gets cheaper and cheaper to build them, most people won't fill up 250gb, but that's about a standard drive in a new computer these days. Seriously, the hardware most people have is probably more suitable for gene sequencing and protein folding than typing word documents.

Last edited:
I probably have less than 50GB free across a 40GB, 160Gb, 250GB and 400GB hard drives. I have TONS of videos on my pc (mostly stand up comedy and tv shows). My sample library is over 20GB by itself. The space might not be necessary for you, but for others 1TB isn't even close to being enough (me included).

MimikOctopus said:
Seriously, the hardware most people have is probably more suitable for gene sequencing and protein folding than typing word documents.

I have an old Pentium 233MMX laptop that I STILL use for word processing, web browsing (via wireless card no less!), and it's a beat scratchpad loaded with FL Studio 5 and SoundForge 6. I can also use it on the go to watch the VCD format movies I make. Works fine for it's purposes and most people would do just fine with one.

IceBreakerG said:
I probably have less than 50GB free across a 40GB, 160Gb, 250GB and 400GB hard drives. I have TONS of videos on my pc (mostly stand up comedy and tv shows). My sample library is over 20GB by itself. The space might not be necessary for you, but for others 1TB isn't even close to being enough (me included).

dump some of that stuff to dual layer DVD and free up that space. I've started backing my stuff up that way and it makes all the difference in the world.

Last edited:
some of the comercial instrument libraries are over 100 gigs, many are 30-50, and that is without using them or backing up files........i have 10 days worth of samples on my itunes, that were wavs at one point and nearly filled 100 gigs..........a few minutes of audio in wav or aiff is 50 megs.......that adds up very quickly, and i use mine for music only.........

i hope you guys are keeping your program files and system drive seperate from what you store your files on. It can make all the difference in your computers preformance. I got 800 gigs of hd space but i still got some room, i got a dedicated studio pc though.

hdd are cost effective dual layer dvds aren't. not every ent. file you have needs to be archived, some just need to be watched once and then deleted

depending on what you have and what your needs are:
libraries, drive image back up, rendered video, vid/aud ent. files, imported wav files >24 bit, song files, etc

MimikOctopus said:
I also keep redundant copies on dvds and cds. You can never be too careful in backing up your files. I lost 6 years worth of artwork and animation once, it almost ruined my life. I will not allow that to happen again.

I feel your pain, man. I lost about 10 years worth of songs once. I also keep redundant copies too.

However, the funny thing is that my whole computer system currently fits on 2 data compressed CD-ROMs (using Partition Saving). My hard drives are 14 GB each and one of the drives I don't back up because by the time I get around to backing it up, I'm already done with the files on it. So only one of the drives do I back up, and it's mostly empty anyways.

My main system is Windows 98 SE and I use small programs (like MultitrackStudio Pro Plus & Making Waves) so I can get away with it.

Me, personally I awork at both Best Buy, and Target, and I am think about getting a It drive as a secondary internal drive. I have a 250 HD on my computer and its at 20G remaining, and a 160 external and its at less than twenty. I an thinking about moving a lot of of my samples, sounds and vstst's sound libraries to there; iuse Fl Studio 7,do you think that thisi s agood idea ?

jeffery225 said:
Me, personally I awork at both Best Buy, and Target, and I am think about getting a It drive as a secondary internal drive. I have a 250 HD on my computer and its at 20G remaining, and a 160 external and its at less than twenty. I an thinking about moving a lot of of my samples, sounds and vstst's sound libraries to there; iuse Fl Studio 7,do you think that thisi s agood idea ?

ok honestly fruity loops isnt that much... i have it and i have reason. reason is like 5times the amount of memory, but u said u have 20GB left in 160. just because you have 20gb left why does that mean u need andother 1000 gigs. honestly. i mean my whole comp has 200GB on samples alone... thats like 40000 samples. i have reason which is a huge file and i have adobe audition. all of this and i only use a 400GB ext. HD. i dont see any point in this. its just overdoing memory.

Funny, I distinctly remember people saying the same thing ("That's just overdoing it. Nobody needs that much HD!") when the first 1 GB hard drives hit the consumer market :)

Drives of this capacity are introduced because they will be necessary....as time goes on capacity grows because need grows. Nothing is "ridiculous" its just future proofing. Size of files and such is going to continue to grow exponentially and so will capacity.

Back