Vintage Soviet Analog Synthesizer "PIF"

alexstelsi

Vintage Soviet toy analog synthesizer "PIF"

I am offering for sale this vintage Soviet analog synthesizer.
Device is rare.
In EXCELLENT working condition!

$(KGrHqNHJEwE-uwKHetMBP0mBY4cRQ~~60_58.JPG

Audio Demos:

6 min. track to demonstrate the sound of PIF synth. All the synthesized sounds (except drumloops) where produced on PIF synth, using software sequencer & its standart vst effects - reverb/delay/flanger/phaser.

EBAY LINK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320914350932http://www.ebay.com/itm/320922277559

Attachments

• Pif.jpg
    Pif.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
New item for sale!

Vintage Soviet toy analog synthesizer "PIF"

I am offering for sale this vintage Soviet analog synthesizer.
Device is rare.

In EXCELLENT working condition!

pif.JPG

Audio Demos:

6 min. track to demonstrate the sound of PIF synth. All the synthesized sounds (except drumloops) where produced on PIF synth, using software sequencer & its standart vst effects - reverb/delay/flanger/phaser.

EBAY LINK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320935314813

Attachments

• pif.JPG
    pif.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Dang! I can't believe that I missed that. I would have totally bought it, too.
Now I have to find a "PIF" somewhere...

(You all think I'm joking...)

GJ

Alex, tell me a few things about yourself and "PIF"--

*You're not messing with me, right? Are you sitting on a factory full of old PIF's, or are you posting a picture of the same unit over and over (that no longer exists)? You wouldn't do that, would you Alex?

*When you say "socket adaptors," what does that mean? Will this item run on US 110-120 volts? Also-- Will it run on batteries, and if so, what kind?

*It looks like there are no outputs on the PIF; are there (and what kind are they), or do you have to put a microphone on the speaker to record it?

*How will you pack this to ensure its safe arrival?

If this is legit, boychick, I'm all over it like (insert your own metaphor here)...

And if it's as rockin' a synth as it sounds, and you've got a bunch of them, I'd do my best to help you sell them all!

GJ

Hi GJ

*I got a bunch of this PIFs out of so called "new old stock". Of course the quantity is limited (some 8-9 already)... About - the picture: they all look 100% alike that is why i dont change picture....

*"Socket adapters" mean that i include a self-made adapters for power & for audio. For power this would be an adapter with standard DC coaxial socket (as common 9 volts power adaptors)
http://www.robot-italy.com/media/ca...92dcd82ea942982b4b1d2a6e2479/3/1/310007_4.jpg
It has slot for batteries, but the battery type is very very rare (R14 type). So it is much more better to plug a power adapter....

*The PIF got an audio output (5Din). I also include a "5din to 1/4TRS socket" adapter...

*The device goes with a carton box in which i do "bubble wrap" + foam rubber padding e.t.c.... Works excellent - no fails at all!

NEW ONE UP FOR SALE!

Soviet Vintage Analog Synthesizer "PIF" USSR Synth Russian Keyboard Piano RARE | eBay

Last edited:
holy ****ing awesome!

very cool

i'm trying to convince my wife we're bad parents if we don't buy the toddler one for his birthday

Hey Alex,

Is there a tuning knob anywhere on the unit?

It sounds like it's one waveform is a squarewave(?); do you know if that's truw?

GJ

Hi GJ! There are only two knobs - volume & lowpass. There are no special tuning knob on the device. And yes its sound is more squarewave then saw etc... Combining Osc 16\8\4 buttons with vibrato and lowpass in different variations you can do all that sounds that you hear on demo.

Do you know what it's tuned too? The sounds are awesome, but on the demo, it sounds like the oscillators are drifting a bit... I'd just hate to get one and find out that I couldn't use it with anything else without radically changing keys/tuning. Is there maybe a screw inside for tuning or something ("under the hood," so to speak?)...

GJ

A few folks have asked this same question elsewhere around the net and there may be some trim pots on the board to fix frequency drift issues (no hard factual answers to this one as there seems to be a desire to keep what is under the hood secret).

It sounds a lot like a nor gate square wave oscillator with internal mixing of 3 frequency divided sections (highest octave is generated and then divided by 2 for the next lowest octave and divided again for the lowest octave) this could also be implemented as 3 separate oscillators with a voltage divider in front of each lower octave to drive them at lower frequencies.

Lots of circuits out there for simple versions of this to make (without the keyboard control, of course); designing one with a keyboard control circuit wouldn't be that hard - just a case of custom implementing by finding nearest value components (usually resistors wired to the keyboard to change the driving voltage for each note) - mono-phonic design part is even easier as the higher the note the more the total resistance - i.e. each successively higher note is tagged off the immediately lower note in the design of the keyboard controller

To GJ: Personally I never tried to do this but inside the device there are some screws (under each key) which you can tune up or down to some extend. Of course don`t expect the ideal tune because it is not a Moog Voyager or ARP :) it is a vintage toy with that bizzare synth-sound inside. If some drifting issues in tune will bother you - obvious the Pif is not for you! But for those who want to add some "spice" in there productions - it`ll be a cool addon.

Back