808 vs 909

Well, I'd say no it doesn't. The 909 kick is a completely different animal - not at all less awesome, just different.

909 is definitely not similar to an 808, especially since you are saying "boom" I assume you're talking about the kick/bass drums, but in general the whole kit has differences. The 808 is more of a boomy low end heavy sound it shines on being a subby bass monster, obviously you can adjust the parameters to make it less boomy. The 909 on the other hand has alot more punch in the mids, it definitely still has low end, but it has a more prominent mid. The 909 Open HiHats are very distinct and sound nothing like the 808, the claps are also pretty different, i find the 909 to half a thicker sounding clap. the 909 is similar to the 707, and I would say the 808 is slightly similar to the 606

yea by boom im talkin about the kick/bass drums, ive never actually had the chance to mess with either machine. both are pretty far outta my price range im still in school so i dont have the cash flow to drop anything more than a few hundred bucks on gear (i am getting a maxed out mpc 1000 for christmas tho for a pretty good price) hah. but the main reason i started this thread was to see if the 909 had similar sounds because they have that special record store day flexi-disc thing that has authentic 909 sounds on it and i was contemplating buying that to sample sounds from

A lot of cats want the actual TR-808 itself as opposed to using samples not realizing that it's reputation as a classic is in part due to the fact that it was frequently sampled, for example one 808 clone (the Acidlab Miami) is named after the frequent use of the TR-808 in Miami Bass music, yet most of the cats making Bass music back in the day were actually using samples.

A lot of cats want the actual TR-808 itself as opposed to using samples not realizing that it's reputation as a classic is in part due to the fact that it was frequently sampled, for example one 808 clone (the Acidlab Miami) is named after the frequent use of the TR-808 in Miami Bass music, yet most of the cats making Bass music back in the day were actually using samples.

the really benefit of having the actual 808/909 is the fact that its analog so there are alot of factors that play into the sound, not only are you able to control the sound without the artifacts of manipulating a sample, but also temperature changes in the machine and the environments effect the sound you get from it slightly. I have an mfb522, which is an 808 clone, and you can notice the difference as the machine heats up or if the room its in gets warmer or colder.

the really benefit of having the actual 808/909 is the fact that its analog so there are alot of factors that play into the sound, not only are you able to control the sound without the artifacts of manipulating a sample, but also temperature changes in the machine and the environments effect the sound you get from it slightly. I have an mfb522, which is an 808 clone, and you can notice the difference as the machine heats up or if the room its in gets warmer or colder.

I can fully appreciate what you are saying as I do own a TR-808 myself, however I also happen to know that a lot of TR-808 classics were in fact rolling off a sampler rather than the machine itself.

Well, I'd say no it doesn't. The 909 kick is a completely different animal - not at all less awesome, just different.

I'm in no way arguing, you have knowledge in this area that far exceeds mine, but, I thought the actual units had similar sounds? I just thought the sounds the 808 became famous for were it's own distinct set as were the 909s.

I'm asking, I wouldn't know a sound from a 909 for the most part, I do remember a shorter heavier kick and I think it had a distinct open hat, but all that stuff is a blur nowadays because of all the drums you can easily find. I do remember for 90s hip hop preferring the sound of the 909 to the 808. Might have had thicker snares? But I thought for the most part the sounded fairly similar?

And again, i know nothing, I'm making assumptions from samples, not the actual units.

I dont disagree with what you are saying haha, I was just stating the differences between a sampled 808 and using the actual machine

Yeah the use of 808 and 909 samples has definitly skewed the perception of what the original machines sound like.

I'm in no way arguing, you have knowledge in this area that far exceeds mine, but, I thought the actual units had similar sounds? I just thought the sounds the 808 became famous for were it's own distinct set as were the 909s.

I'm asking, I wouldn't know a sound from a 909 for the most part, I do remember a shorter heavier kick and I think it had a distinct open hat, but all that stuff is a blur nowadays because of all the drums you can easily find. I do remember for 90s hip hop preferring the sound of the 909 to the 808. Might have had thicker snares? But I thought for the most part the sounded fairly similar?

And again, i know nothing, I'm making assumptions from samples, not the actual units.

Back