Guitar pick hitting the pickup

db2

Hello,

I used to play guitar for hours a day growing up, but when I got into production and electronics it kind of fell by the wayside. I just picked up a new guitar, and my main interest with it is composing, but I've noticed an issue about me picking against the neck pickup. I've heard people say its a technique issue, but the problem is that I'm a big guy (6'4) with big hands, and in order to have a comfortable hand position I need my picking fingers higher up towards the neck.

I have a guitar with the V7/V8 pickups (I've heard bad things about the V8 tone, but for right now I'm strictly concerned with the ergonomics).

My questions are, how bad is this habit of picking against the pickup? Would another type of pickup remedy this problem? Can the pickup be lowered enough to actually make any real difference?

And importantly, should I reconsider my choice in guitar and consider returning it, or am I likely facing the same problem with another model?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Try lowering the pick ups but that can affect the sound. Otherwise it IS technique. No matter how big you are you have to learn how to play without doing that.

like obi said could try lowering the pickups but the result will be lower output signal. if its not causing you a problem then continue playing the way you play. you could always try resting your side palm on the bridge as long as its a fixed not tremolo. if it works for you dont change your technique

I'm near your height and have big hands too so I feel ya, but it's all in technique. I rest my pinky of my picking hand on the guitar body, which allows my hand to hover over the strings while picking. That is when I use my guitar with a floating bridge. I have a Gibson with a stop tail, so I can rest my hand against the back of the bridge like PrecisionBeatz suggested. If you do this, make sure your palm is not muting the strings. Also, when you practice more, you will get your feel back.
Also, try and play with as much of the tip of the pick as possible. This is one part that helps when you learn to economy pick.

you can also go to guitarmasterclass.net "guitar lessons" and watch some videos there. Watch how the players use their picking hands. I found that to be a great site for motivation.

I actually do rest my hand near the back of the bridge and my pinky on the guitar, and I've realized that my problem is not so much the bridge pickup, but the volume knob location on my RG ibanez. I grew up playing strats so I need that style of body to feel comfortable with my position. Any suggestions for dealing with the volume knob position? It's just sticking up right there where I rest my pinky/hand.

raise the bridge (if you can)

I love my Gretsch.

Most guitarists get their guitar "set up" for their own personal playing style which would mean raising / lowering the bridge, raising / lowering the pick ups, thicker / lighter gauge strings, etc etc.

You can either work with a guitar tech to adjust your guitar to your style or you can learn to play differently or buy a guitar in the store that fits you better (one Tele or Strat might work for you but another may not depending how it is set up). 3 choices for you.

I think people forget all the options available to you as a guitarist. Technique can fix it but adjusting your guitar to your style is almost a given for most guitarists now.

There are trade-offs as always. Raising the strings farther from the pick up changes the sound as Obi already said. Those are the choices you have to make though. If you hate the sound with the pick ups farther from the strings than you have to change your technique. You may also like the sound with the strings farther from the pickup. Experiment my friend.

Back