Is uploading beats to youtube a good or bad idea?

AlexCollins

Yo,
I've been producing for a few years and I feel like I have enough quality stuff to start making a name for myself. However, I'm not really looking to just hustle beats for $20. The end goal for myself is to have beats placed to good/decent artists, so the only reason that I want to upload these beats is pretty much just to show them off, get subscribers/veiws, etc. Would posting these beats to youtube harm the chances of them ever getting placed? For instance, I showed one of my beats to the rapper Logic, and he asked me questions such as "have you sent this to anyone? Has anyone else rapped on this?", and the beat I showed him was over a few months old. I wouldn't want to show a good artist a beat and have him love it but not use it only because it was posted online and x amount of people ripped it from a downloader.

I also have a decent beat tag thats not crazy annoying, so if I should protect my beats with it, how often do you guys recomend that I loop the tag?

you can disable embedding if that's what you are asking.that'll disable a large portion of the vd's out there?
or you can go the creative commons route and upload 192kbps aacs since that's the highest youtube can go i think.
192kbps acc 44.1khz.and if they want your beat full they could pay for 320kbps or flac etc if you have a seperate music account.

If you have logic telling you your beats are good then you must be ****ing legit bro. I'm literally listening to his music at this exact moment coincidentally.

Ask him.

If you can't, I say do it. As long as they are legit you have to get your name out their somehow. Soundcloud and Youtube are the ways to go if you want to reach an audience of musicians willing to pay for your beats. Some will be shitty rappers, some will be decent. I recommend only selling your beats to people you believe art good artists as they are more likely to be connected with other established artists. And don't be afraid to drop the hint "if you have any buddies looking for beats, let me know"...they will come around. If your music is good, you wont have to run around trying to get good artists to give them a listen.

Ok I feel that, But I guess what I was really trying to ask is do you think because a beat is uploaded on youtube that it would discredit it? I have never heard of an established artist, whether he/she is super famous or on the come up, take a beat from a youtube producer or from a youtube video.

Heres a hypothetical situation: lets say I made a chance the rapper type beat and uploaded it to youtube. Now lets say a year down the road, I get the oppertunity to meet him and I show him the beat and he really likes it. Would the fact that it's been on youtube for a year make him not want to use it?

Alex,
No. Because you don't use that beat. If it is a "Chance the rapper type beat" and has 200k views and he likes it. It doesnt matter. Why?

BECAUSE YOU DONT USE THAT BEAT. By showing him that beat it solidifies the thought that other people like it and that you are a well established producer with a fan base (200k views). Based off this, he will F with you

Now what you are gonna do is make Chance a NEW beat that NO ONE has ever heard before. You have the skills to make a beat like his and he knows this, so he will be expecting you to be able to replicate that "type" of beat again and make an entirely new "Chance the rapper type beat" that is specifically for him.

By having 200k views on that video it shows you will gather him views from you marketing his song and you already know how to make the type of beats he is looking for. So you shouldn't have a problem thinking up a entirely new song. Think of your Youtube channel as your portfolio. It is a collection of PAST work. You will NOT be selling these beats to big name artists. They will personally contact you and personally tell you what they want to hear. Then you create it for them, and if they like it they buy it or use it for free, then market your name(alias) on the song name.

Last edited:
umm this may be a stupid question but if no one hears your music because you're afraid someone will steal it then how will logic hear it in the first place?

Ok I feel that, But I guess what I was really trying to ask is do you think because a beat is uploaded on youtube that it would discredit it? I have never heard of an established artist, whether he/she is super famous or on the come up, take a beat from a youtube producer or from a youtube video.

Heres a hypothetical situation: lets say I made a chance the rapper type beat and uploaded it to youtube. Now lets say a year down the road, I get the oppertunity to meet him and I show him the beat and he really likes it. Would the fact that it's been on youtube for a year make him not want to use it?

Youtube is a great place for sharing beats.

Credit is determined by numbers, and credibility by your reputation. Famous people make and release beats on youtube all the time, most of FP should suggests its use for exposure. Some artists prefer having original, unreleased tracks. Some people listen to youtube beats in order to find new producers to work with. Try looking into all of the ways people use it.

Last edited:
No label or artist is going to release a beat that has already made its way around the web..So if you plan on selling your beats that you are putting on youtube, don't.
If you plan on using the beats as a 'business card' and making other ones, then go ahead.

I wouldn't recommend it. You can easily rip the video & tweak it a little. Some may even loop it & rap on it. I,ve even seen people put a lower quality up just so people won't get a hold of the original high quality version but it's not a good look at all.

umm this may be a stupid question but if no one hears your music because you're afraid someone will steal it then how will logic hear it in the first place?

Sorry for the late response, But I got to meet logic because My friends started a video web series where they interview rappers, and logic was performing a show at a local university we live by. We showed up a few hours in advance and asked if he was down to do an interview and a freestyle and he was he would do it. I make the beats for the freestyles and when I showed him the beat that I picked out for him he ****ed with it and asked me to get his managers contact info so I could send him beats.

Sorry for the late response, But I got to meet logic because My friends started a video web series where they interview rappers, and logic was performing a show at a local university we live by. We showed up a few hours in advance and asked if he was down to do an interview and a freestyle and he was he would do it. I make the beats for the freestyles and when I showed him the beat that I picked out for him he ****ed with it and asked me to get his managers contact info so I could send him beats.

If you're already getting a foot in the door then there is probably no extra benefit from putting your stuff on YouTube in that case (unless you want to sell to the general public), it should spread through word of mouth.

I think youtube is one of the best places to share your music and get known! where else would you have such an incredibly high audience?

Back