Is this motherboard good enough for my daw computer

P

PimpinQwin

Wassup futureproducers im thinking about buying a pc from dell.com for my home studio.I checked out the specs everything looks good except im not sure if this motherboard is good enough,its a intel g45 express chipset.Do you guys think this is good enough for daw recording??????

it should be fine

it supports upto 8 gig
ddr 2 is cheap now... i would max it out
it also takes a quad core

just remember if you have the old ide drives and cdroms they won't work on that board you have to buy new ones that use the SATA or ide to sata adapters

Last edited:
Wassup futureproducers im thinking about buying a pc from dell.com for my home studio.I checked out the specs everything looks good except im not sure if this motherboard is good enough,its a intel g45 express chipset.Do you guys think this is good enough for daw recording??????

I use GM45 Express Chipset on my laptop and it works great. Why would you think an Intel motherboard would be insufficient?

I wasnt sure if it was sufficient because I was told by a friend that I should stick to asus motherboards for my daw.Also is a 250 watt power supply strong enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasnt sure if it was sufficient because I was told by a friend that I should stick to asus motherboards for my daw.Also is a 250 watt power supply strong enough?

Lol... sounds like your friend trusts one brand of motherboards over others, but that doesn't make other brands "insufficient".

However, truthfully, you should NOT get a Gigabyte motherboard -- certain models unfortunately have inherent DPC latency issues, and getting one that doesn't is a matter of luck (unless you look up which models have these problems online).

Thanks for the help,im getting a customized computer from dell.com.The computer comes with a 250 watt power supply,is it safe if I take it out and install a 500 watt power supply?

Thanks for the help,im getting a customized computer from dell.com.The computer comes with a 250 watt power supply,is it safe if I take it out and install a 500 watt power supply?

Maybe, but if Dell is putting your computer together (thru the website), they will give you a sufficient power supply to operate your computer, so you don't really need to do that.

Ok I was under the impression that they would leave the standard 250 watt power supply in my computer.Have any of you guys had experiences with dell computers?

I've used them never bought any. If its shipping with a 250 then that should be sufficient, unless you want to add more hardware like power hungry graphic cards you should be ok.

Personally unless I'm only buying like a basic £200 PC I don't buy pre build.

I also rate Asus above intel boards... reason being is that you can easily overclock Asus boards .. well i take that back the intel extreme boards you can overclock but they are an arm and a leg. as far as the power supply goes i not for sure if it affects this but i have. 8 usb ports filed with keyboards, midi controllers, cell phone charger, webcam, external harddrives etc .. so i would assume that these things draw some type of power from the power supply... upgrade now or upgrade later but i think you will have to eventually

post the specific machine you're looking at. A link, a name or SOMETHING.

Ok I was under the impression that they would leave the standard 250 watt power supply in my computer.Have any of you guys had experiences with dell computers?

What I'm saying is that whatever power supply they give you will generally work properly with the computer -- I don't know whether they'll give you 250 watt, 500 watt, etc. -- just whatever works.

I use a Dell laptop day-in-day-out, (works great) and a 24" Dell monitor hooked into it.

Back