I was contacted by local DJ, price point?

R

RicanJoe

Hey wat up fp,

Check it, I was contacted by a local DJ, and he is interested in my music and wants to buy beats for a "DJ presentation" he needs to make. He's also willing to promote me and my group. Ill be meeting him later today after school to go more in depth.

As far as pricing, this is where I'm alil stuck since I've never sold my tracks like this before, I don't know how to price my beats according to what a DJ may be used to or expect. I do put a considerable amount of work and little polising details on my music, but I don't want to come up with an outrageous number that might mess the deal up, feel me?

Any suggestions?

-RicanJoe

I'm sure others will come up with a better approach, but I would base it on how much exposure you stand to get.

Whats the expected audience for this 'presentation'? A couple hundred people? Thousands? Could this lead to getting rotations in clubs or passed along to other DJ's?

Lots of things to consider. You night even give them away for free if the potential exposure is big enough. My opinion. Good luck and congrats.

Another option would be to approximate how much time you put into each track and come up with a reasonable hourly rate to charge. A track takes 5 hours to create and mix, charge 15-30$/hr. or whatever you feel is fair.

Last edited:
I never heard anything like this before. this is a first.

a dj wanting to buy beats for a presentation?

I'm sure others will come up with a better approach, but I would base it on how much exposure you stand to get.

Whats the expected audience for this 'presentation'? A couple hundred people? Thousands? Could this lead to getting rotations in clubs or passed along to other DJ's?

Lots of things to consider. You night even give them away for free if the potential exposure is big enough. My opinion. Good luck and congrats.

Another option would be to approximate how much time you put into each track and come up with a reasonable hourly rate to charge. A track takes 5 hours to create and mix, charge 15-30$/hr. or whatever you feel is fair.

Thank you for your suggestions jay_jizle, well its nothing big its just dj'ing at birthday parties/quineaneras/clubs etc. He also told me he has connects to several latin radio stations in town and could help get my group some radioplay with our demo.

I guess Ill do your suggestion of an hourly rate, that seems pretty fair and consistent. This is a very exiting time for me man im tellin ya lol.
Well thanks again

I never heard anything like this before. this is a first.

a dj wanting to buy beats for a presentation?

I wouldn't know, Im not a DJ myself. But going from the example he gave me on his cd, it sounds like he needs it for an opening kinda thing where he mixes the music an says his name or the name of the company.. feel me?

He could be using it on a TV or radio show that doesn't want to pay licensing fees. I have a friend who DJs on a TV show and they don't like him playing commercial music when they go to breaks, so he gets music from producers to play and scratch over.

Back