Making percussion like Tipper - Gulch

Soberon

Dream Alchemist
I have a track I'm working on that would sound great with these types of drum and percussion sounds. I'd like to know how to achieve the sounds I hear carrying the song Gulch by Tipper.

Quick scan sounds like he has a lot of industrial sounds and maybe even vocal pops, lip smacks, etc. substituting in. Side-stick sound or woodblock for snare drum, but multi-layered and changing pitch or samples on various backbeats (in other words, not always the same sound used). Also sounds rather compressed, I'd play with delay and reverb, and also you could try automating or manipulating in real time parameters like delay or parametric EQ (or try an envelope filter/auto-way; that sort of effect).

GJ

Listened to the whole thing today. There are definitely some synthy glitch/dubstep samples in the second half, and for a very short time some marimba as well. It doesn't sound that complicated; just think non-traditionally and have fun...

GJ

You can use Ephemere - Glitch Percussion Synthesizer or another (SoundMorph - Evil Twin, SoundMorph - DUST Plugin etc.)

Are there any free plug-ins that work well? I've been working with some Reaktor ensembles and I'm able to get the sounds I like but I have no idea how to control the modulations in a way that I can incorporate them into a beat and have them on the tempo. Just like on board granular samplers and cyan delay

Last edited:
I mentioned before in the OP's previous post that it sounded evident to me that this was a granular synthesis approach, due to the gaining and receding tensions. Like he probably has created then resampled percussion loops, then loads them up in a granular synth and goes from there, modulating start/end points, pitch and filters. It seems like the simplest way to approach how Tipper creates his unique sounds.

What do you guys think?

Yeah it does seem to be the case, i can get these crazy elastic noises, but i cant seem to sync them with the tempo of the track, and I stockd up on granular synth plug ins since then. Still experimenting with it. I'm not that experienced with warping audio.

You're on to something. It could be granular synthesis, but there are many ways to skin a cat. You know it's 16th notes, so I would key them in first (anything-- I guess start with hi-hat?), then start randomly swapping in sounds.

GJ

the loops sounds dope. there used to be a pond with frogs near my childhood home...during breeding season you could hear those exact sounds in the background from a good 100 yards away.
not very Tipper-ish without editing, but it takes time and effort, or else he wouldn't be as dope as he is.

Since you already have Reaktor

1. Get S-Layer or Polyplex
2. Feed it a collection of foley noises, granular textures and drums
3. ???
4. Profit

Lol indeed... there's a bunch of other VST's and ensembles like it, but the twisted tools stuff is a cut above the pack if you ask me.

I'm broke and cant get S-Layer but I found a way to try out polyplex and it's a really good drum synth, i just don't really like how hard it is to load custom samples into reaktor.

Back