What are the best studio headphones?

For mixing you have 2 industry standards. AKG K702's or the Sennheiser 650's Every major studio I work at has one of these and the cans I carry with me are the 702's and a pair of K240's I have had since the middle 80's I like to use those as a referrence. Of course these are for mixing. For the artist? Anything closed back. Most consumer grade headphones have a "curve" built into them. This means they change the sound you actually hear and that is a bad idea. Good luck with your search and remember to try out what you are going to buy. However, good headphones have to be "broken in".

I recommend Sony mdr200 for 30 bucks amazing accuracy mixes translate great

ATH-M50's are my choice... and not that this really matters, they just started coming 2 different colors, silver and white.

I use the Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO's. They are open cans, which I like very much. The open design allows me to work through longer sessions than other closed headphones. Not great for recording, but my go to for prepping mixes.

Last edited:
Check out AKG.com (You want a good pair of stereo headphones)

If you you believe everything MTV says pick up some beats. But i would not recomend it. just because its hyped up by a celebrity doesn't mean its a good thing.
(same goes for "Cocktail party talk") off topic, but music business tip 101...
Just because a manager or lawyer says they've worked with a big name, doesn't mean they're worth your time. make sure you know their faults, they could over rule the good.

anyways GL finding some headphones.

Last edited:
Back