Classic or Not: Juvenile 400 Degreez

One Stop Hip Hop

http://www.onestop-hiphop.net/2013/09/classic-or-not-hip-hop-albums-1.html?m=1

Give it a read comment or message, first of many new blogs I will be posting!

400 Degreez truly was a Southern classic. Not a Hip-Hop classic because of the production (although Mannie Fresh is a good producer) and because of the lyricism. This album is what put Cash Money on the map nationally. "Back That A** Up" was everywhere. Even on MTV. "Ha" was all over BET. Cash Money surpassed No Limit with this album. My favorite track was "400 Degreez." Jay-Z was on the "Ha" remix (a East-Coast rapper). You know you have a classic when they still play your music (Back That A** Up) 15 years later! For giggles, can you believe how awful Lil'Wayne sounded on "Back That A** Up?"

if you have to ask if this was a classic your don't know rap music
this directed to anyone who doesn't know or confused about it's classic status

-Coach Antonio

I agree, I've been listening to rap since before most people online were even born. There's a lot of cats that haven't even heard the album there so young, I'm just bringing attention as well as share my opinion about some of the great or not so great hip hop albums of past!

A definite classic. New Orleans had known about Juvie and Mannie but 500 degreez introduced Juvie and Mannie to the masses. Ha and Back that azz up were two good singles. I loved that orchestra sound from Back that azz up.

Last edited:
I was literally thinking about this today. In my opinion its a certified classic.

1. It changed the trajectory of music at the time. I really think this is what took the game away from the east or west and started the southern reign we know of today.

2. Its timeless. You can still jam to most of the music on that album. Why? Because most of the music out now is directly influenced by that album. All those trap beats, all those club anthems, all those songs for the scrippers, all sound like 400 degreez. Listen to a Meek Millz song and it can sound more Juvenile then Beanie Sigel. Listen to Waka and its way more Juvenile then Andre 3000.

3. It Built Cash Money. Cash Money would be nowhere without this album. And that means no lil wayne, which means no YOung money, no Drake, no Nicki Minaj, and possibly no Khaled, Rick Ross or Ace Hood, who lean heavily on the Young money association.

Its definitely a landmark album that should be taught if you do a History of Hip Hop Class.

hell yea that shit right there is an album I bought when it first dropped, way back in the dayz.. and I still play it time to time, evey now and then, becuz I still have the CD.. The SAME copy i bought back then.. I bought alotta the early cash money albums.. NEVER SPENT A SINGLE PENNY ON ANY YOUNG MONEY ALBUMS.. thats another story though HAHA

That album was wet. It had 1 or 2 so-so tracks but at the time it stayed in rotation in my ride...

Back