What MIDI Controller Should I Get? (Under $200)

adriangl

I'm a pretty young(and inexperienced) producer, but I'm trying to get better, and this summer is going to be my big opportunity. I have $200 I'm willing to spend, and I want to get a good midi controller that works with FL Studio. How can I get the most out of my money?

do you want to play keys? or do you want just drumpads? you have a lot of options for that price range and below. you have to know what features you want

Last edited:
Best advice i could give you is to take a week and search all the different types of controllers thats available in your price range.
Then narrow down your list by comparing it to what your looking for... for me i wanted pads so i thought why not mpd or korg, but i also wanted to learns keys, so i figured mpk or impulse.... how many keys would i like...25 not enough but a perfect size for my room... 49 gives me room to learn and i liked the layout... so i found n mpk49 on craigslist for 180... havn't looked back since... Tho now im thinking hardware... maybe a maschine will be next...or roland.... ill figure it out

I got a novation launchkey 49 and is very good. Keys are very solid

I don't mean to knock your controller. I'm sure it does a good job for you.

I messed around with that keyboard at Guitar Center, and those keys are definitely not what I would call "solid". They're about the same as the keys on the Oxygen series.

"Solid" keys include the M-Audio Axiom, Novation SL, and Akai MPK (in order of increasing "solidness").

There are cons to "solid" keys, however: they can be fatiguing for fast playing or when playing for extended periods.

-Ki
Salem Beats

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

I'm a pretty young(and inexperienced) producer, but I'm trying to get better, and this summer is going to be my big opportunity. I have $200 I'm willing to spend, and I want to get a good midi controller that works with FL Studio. How can I get the most out of my money?

My brother runs Oxygen Beats and uses this one:
M-Audio Keystation 88es | Sweetwater.com
He used to use a more expensive fully-weighted keyboard controller but decided that synth-action keys suited his purpose better. He wanted a full range of keys. They're fairly cheap feeling, but not horrible.

In addition to my Novation 61SL mkII, I use this one:
Korg microKEY61 with Legacy Collection | Sweetwater.com
The mini keys are by far the best on the market. They're lightweight and responsive. Also great for when you want to play several octaves at the same time, because your fingers can reach further. Comes with a full version of all of KORG's VST plugins as well (not a "lite" or "demo" version).

If you're willing to buy used, you can get an Axiom 49 (or maybe even a 61) around that price range. Assuming it's in good working order, that's a solid choice.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
I have the akai MPK Mini

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

I have the akai MPK Mini, only ran me $80 and it is all I need for now, only downside is that it is very flimsy and keys are not weighted, the USB port is also very flimsy.

SoundCloud Mobile

CHECK ME OUT HOT HIP HOP BEATS

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

Kash Money Beats's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world

CHECK ME OUT HOT HIP HOP BEATS

I have the akai MPK Mini, only ran me $80 and it is all I need for now, only downside is that it is very flimsy and keys are not weighted, the USB port is also very flimsy.

I had one of those. I sold it.

Pros:
#1: The knobs were alright.

Cons:
#1: The keys don't compare to the KORG microKEY's keys.
#2: The pads aren't making contact with the sensors. You have to push the pad through a good amount of air before it even touches the sensor.

-Ki
Salem Beats

I had one of those. I sold it.

Pros:
#1: The knobs were alright.

Cons:
#1: The keys don't compare to the KORG microKEY's keys.
#2: The pads aren't making contact with the sensors. You have to push the pad through a good amount of air before it even touches the sensor.

-Ki
Salem Beats

You can do a very cheap mod with the Akai if you are willing to open it (add tape underneath the pads - ebay sells kits)

You can do a very cheap mod with the Akai if you are willing to open it (add tape underneath the pads - ebay sells kits)

Yes, you can modify almost any controller if you're willing to open it up. There's a chance of screwing things up.

I know someone who has a MPD with a pad mod, and I've used it. It's still not "acceptable" to my standards -- it doesn't come close to the sensitivity of the Maschine or the Korg pK. The MPK Mini is worse out-of-the box than the MPD, so...

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Not entirely sure on the exchange rate (I'm UK based) but for $200 (USD) and in your circumstance I might be looking for a used Korg Padkontrol or MPD26 (or 32 if budget allows) along with a used Korg MicroKey... Should get you a very tidy little set-up...

As Ki stated already the microkey's keys are fantastic (although small). And you also get a built in USB hub (very useful imo)... I tried one out in store - loved it - currently wrapped up for Christmas so I can't use it yet :-(
And with the MPD you get pretty decent pads plus a bunch of assignable knobs and sliders...
I very nearly bought the MPD32 myself (as my starter package) but decided to shell out the extra on Maschine mkII

Back