Very weak Audio Signal

Yooorel

Hey guys,
first off, I need to tell you, that I'm new to forums in general, so I'm sorry if my question has been asked before.

So I just got my first microphone (Shure SM58) for christmas and obviously I wanted to test it immediately.
The problem that appears ist, that I get an extremely weak audio and you won't hear my voice over the beat I made.
First thing I did when I didn't get any audio at all is I went to the Inspector Channel Strip and set the Input to one (mono). Then I duplicated the audio I just recorded and panned one all to the left and the other all to the right. Then I bounced it and got a stereo track, but still I almost heard nothing of my voice when I played it along with the beat, and I got very annoying clipping on the mic, because I turned the gain to the max.

I'm working on Logic Pro X. My Interface is an Akai EIE pro and the mic is plugged into the first line input.

Any tips? I think that I'm doing something very basic totally wrong, I hope you guys can help me!

I don't know much about the interface, but have you tried using phantom power? Though the SM58 shouldn't need it, it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Also the hard panning is a bit pointless (as is using a stereo track) since your input is mono.

Thanks for the tip Adrian, I tried to turn on phantom Power, but nothing changed, I'm still getting a very low signal.
Any other ideas?

Your mic is connected via a XLR cable right? And the input switch is set to mic and not guitar/insert?

I'm really not sure what the issue is, but you might be able to normalize your recordings as a temporary solution.

The mic is connected with an XLR cable and set to mic/line. I just tried to normalize it and it did not really help, I'll keep on looking out for solutions, thank you!

Have you got a decent mic signal?
The EIE has a VU metre to give you a visual gauge on the signal you're giving it...
Turn up the gain until you have a good signal.
You shouldn't need to crank the gain to full with a 58 to get a decent signal...

Make sure you're set to 'mic' and not 'line'
SM58 is dynamic - Phantom power is not appropriate - the SM58 (or any dynamic mic) does not require it.

Not sure why you'd want you're vocal as a stereo track... ?

I might have to send the interface back and get another one, because the same problem appears with my reloop turntable.
I'm very new to recording audio tracks and didn't have any idea about what I was doing, so I thought maybe making it stereo would help haha ;)

Yes, I downloaded and installed the driver from the akai website.
Everything works now fine, thank you guys!

Back