Tips on buying CDJs for a beginner

Parma Jean

Sup guys. I'm thinking about buying a pair of Denon s1000s and a mixer I found online for a sweet deal. I'm on a budget so I can't spend a lot. Originally I was going to get the traktor s4 but I want to eventually DJ at clubs professionally so I figured the Denon s1000 CDJ's would give me the experience to learn professional equipment. What do you think? I just wanna DJ. Been producing for 2 years now so I figured its time to jump on the booth. Any advice?

Thanks

you will have no problem learning to mix on them, i would strongly recommend a pc controller though. - if you think its something u will want to do then turning to pc controllers will be an inevitable move.

Last edited:
you will have no problem learning to mix on them, i would strongly recommend a pc controller though. - if you think its something u will want to do then turning to pc controllers will be an inevitable move.

PC controller meaning like the Traktor S4 for example?

I was going to buy some cheap CDJs and a mixer so I can play in a club with the clubs CDJs and ill already know how to use it. However buying cheaper CDJs lacks a lot of functions such as hot cues and effects and stuff like that. Not sure if thats a big deal or not.

Still not sure if i should buy cheap CDJ's (gemini, denon, pioneer) or the traktor S4

Yes PC controller such as that one, personally im a huge fan of numarks ns stuff but thats more because i like the feel of vinyl and the spinning high torque platters. However in terms of what a cdj can do vs something like traktor - you will be able to do much more with traktor - you produce right? getting your songs from your DAW to traktor i bet will be much quicker than to a cdj. I personally have not used traktor, Ive only used serato but I bet most music controlling software will have more features than cdjs.

For some people those hot cues and effect stuff is really important, in terms of learning to mix not soo much - you will have less effects to use with mixing but in the same token you wont need to rely on effects to mix great.

My first CDJ's were pio 100's - it got me into the flow of cueing every track on the fly - also beatmatching by ear on the fly - eventually got cdj800s as you might know they had no effects and then i lost my jet, flange and wah or whatever the effects were on the 100's. This forced me to take a different approach to mixing - although i was still cueing on the fly (i had the original 800's so they didnt save cues lol) i was forced to look at how i can manipulate eq more - because essentially with effects although they are doing something very specific, inherently the eq curve gets changed in a way that could help with mixing songs in or out.

What you want to look for in a cdj is the following:
1. When you push play does it play instantly? or is there a touch of delay (you do not want to have to compensate, in some ways this simulates a cheap vinyl TT with crappy torque lol )
2. Also have a feel of the button is it a fast clicky button or a soft numarky rubbery slow button (i cue as if its vinyl on the ns7's anyway)
3. How easy it is to cue - different brands seem to tackle this in different ways
4. Make sure there is a mechanism that can adjust speed (not the master pitch/speed controller) but something that can simulate a slow down or speed up of the vinyl to put it back on beat if need be.
5. Does it have some sort of lock to avoid ejecting the wrong side (soo embarrassing) my 800's didnt have a lock so i always forced myself to pause rather than push eject first. Although not so important if ur not playing in the clubs
6. Shock resistance !

Points 1,2,3 and 4 are all you need to mix
- I can guarantee that pioneers cdjs do those just fine. -

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
In my experience in the UK most clubs have Pioneer CDJ 1000's, various versions. Getting used to them is definitely invaluable, which was why I got mine second-hand on eBay. (CDJ 1000 mk3's). That is what I'd recommend, but I don't know what it's like where you are.

Back