The Ebb & Flow of Creative Productivity

innerstatejt

innerstatejt
The ebb and flow of creativity productivity is a common theme among those in the creative arts. One day, the ideas may be
flowing freely and the work is completed effortlessly. The next day, even with the same resources and environment, creativity
may feel stagnant and progress grinds to a halt. This inconsistency can be frustrating, but it is important to understand
that it is a normal part of the creative process.

Creativity is not a constant state, but rather a cycle that ebbs and flows. For Example, people tend to be more creative at
certain times of day, with some people being more productive in the morning and others finding their peak creativity in the
afternoon or evening. In addition, different people have different natural rhythms when it comes to creativity. Some people
may be naturally more productive in bursts, while others may have a steadier stream of ideas.

Another factor that can impact productivity is the amount of work that has been done in the recent past. People tend to have
a limited amount of "mental energy" that can be expended on creative tasks, and when that energy is depleted, productivity
comes to a halt.

A big contributor to this is "decision fatigue," and it can be caused by a variety of things, including multitasking, working
for long periods of time without breaks, and trying to solve particularly difficult problems.

Taking breaks, setting aside dedicated time for creative work, and using strategies like the Pomodoro Technique can help to
manage decision fatigue and maintain productivity. This technique involves work intervals of 25 minutes followed by a 5
minute break. I use this myself & find it to be massively helpful in many situations.

In addition to internal factors, there are also external factors that can impact productivity. External distractions like
phone notifications or loud noises. Stress and personal issues can also drain mental energy and make it difficult to focus on
creative tasks.

It is important to understand that creativity is not always a linear process. Inspiration can strike at any time, and it is
not uncommon for people to have breakthroughs or moments of inspiration at random times, instead of the time they have set
aside to create.

Give yourself permission to take breaks and step away from work, even when things are going well. It can be tempting to try
to force it, but this often leads to burnout and decreased productivity in the long run.

Ups and downs are a natural part of the creative process. By understanding the factors that can impact productivity and using
strategies like taking breaks and setting aside consistent dedicated time for creative work, you can manage the ebb and flow
of productivity and continue to create meaningful work.

It can also be helpful to set specific goals and targets for each work session. This can help to keep you focused and
motivated, and it can also provide a sense of accomplishment when you are able to meet your goals. I like to make 2-3 "micro"
goals, this way you aren't taking on too much. Setting big creative goals without a path of small breadcrumbs can be pretty
overwhelming.

My approach is to stop a session before you run out of energy. This will leave you excited for the next session. I like to
set my micro goals for the next session at this time, so I have no questions about what to do the next time I sit down to
work.

Having your studio and DAW organized in a way that you can quickly access the exact sound or tool you need without endless
time wasted can really keep you in the flow as well. It's something I dive deeper into with my coaching & may write more
about in the future.

Never underestimate self-care as a way to maintain productivity in the creative arts. This can include things like getting
enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, and finding ways to manage stress, like journaling or meditation. Taking breaks and
engaging in activities that nourish the mind and body can help to recharge the mental batteries and keep you feeling
energized and focused. You need to get out of the studio & get some fresh air & new experiences to keep your creative juices
flowing.

The ebb and flow of productivity is a normal part of the creative process. By understanding the factors that can impact
productivity and using strategies like establishing a consistent routine, setting specific micro goals, being organized, and
practicing self-care, you can better manage the ups and downs of creativity and continue to create more meaningful work.

Happy music making!

Back